SASS Wire Forum

when free isn't really free

Trigger Mike

so it's time to renew my car insurance and the agent calls me and suggested I change my comprehensive deductible to 0 so I can get a free winshield the next time I crack my windshield. It would only be $50 more every six months. Since I have not replaced a windshield in years, I deduced that by the end of 3 years I would have bought a new one with that 50 every six months additional premium. So I told her that, the windshiled is not free, only paid for by me on the installment plan. I kept the higher deductible. It made me wonder, how many folks have they promised a free windshield to on the installment plan. I further wondered if people realize that any insurance, including free health insurance is not really free. It is paid for somewhere, and usually by you. ANy benefit we receive from the government is paid for every time you fill up your gas tank and pay the gas tax. Everytime you go to walmart and buy somethnig, you pay sales tax that pays for benefits from the government, you pay the taxes walmart pays as it is built into the price they charge. You pay the taxes the trucking company paid as it is built into the price they charged to deliver. It is built into the manufacturers price he charged walmart to buy it from them. This means the "FREE" is paid for several times over by each and every one of us, whereas if we opt to insure ourselves we can set the money aside and pay for it when we need it.

Free...yep sure.

Sister-in-law is getting a "free" disability income

Sister-in-law's son is getting "free" housing.

Sister-in-law's grandson is getting "free" medical care.

The "free" is all founded by the American tax payer.

At least I'm keeping my tax money in the family... :wacko:

Free...yep sure.

Sister-in-law is getting a "free" disability income

Sister-in-law's son is getting "free" housing.

Sister-in-law's grandson is getting "free" medical care.

The "free" is all founded by the American tax payer.

At least I'm keeping my tax money in the family... :wacko:

:lol:

sometimes when someone ask me to give them money and I know they are already drawing a lot off my taxes, I like to tell them my tax dollars are already going to them.

I got my daughter a FREE cat :rolleyes:

I paid 430.00 to have it fixed and declawed . :huh:

But my baby was happy so it was worth all the gold I spent . :wacko:

When I was in Australia in 1978 there were signs up demanding "Free Public Transportation." I told a local teenager that there is no sutch thing as free transportation. He ask why I thought that. I told him that the bus that just passed us had a driver. The driver was paid a salary. The bus had to be purchased from the manufacturer. The bus had to have fuel and maintenance. Somebody has to pay for all this, sez I. I saw a light begin to come on inside the kid's head.

As Robert Heinline once said: "TANSTAAFL!"

Duffield

Yup, that's what I try to tell these college-age kids that have been bamboozled by a lot of leftist nonsense.. <_<

But on the insurance thing, there are parts of the country where that could be beneficial..In New Mexico they use a red gravelly stuff on the roads in the winter when it snows..Of course a lot of it stays once the snow is gone, and is really bad to fly up and crack windshields..Santa Fe has windshield repair places all over town..Some of the locals tell me it's not so much a matter of "if" as a matter of "when".. :huh:

Paying extra on insurance out there might be better than having to shell out a couple of hundred dollars at once for a new windshield..Of course it still ain't free!

Back east it's much less of a problem..Although in North Carolina, where they steadfastly refuse to do away with vehicle inspections, if you have a crack of any size it won't pass..And you can't renew your tag till it does! Got themselves a real racket going on with that.. :angry:

Oh, I have to disagree, there are a lot of people out there getting free food, free cell phones and time, free health care and dental, plus a free credit card so they can buy free beer and cigarettes and lottery cards not covered by food stamps. They get it free, because they don't contribute. They'll tell you its Obama money, from his stash.

Years ago when I was hiring hourly people for cleaning and groundkeeping, I was many times told that unless they started out at 12.00+ per hour, they couldn't take the job because they were getting more benifits for not working. You figure what they must do during their idle times?

So in a way, some are getting free stuff without having to pay. The people that don't buy car insurance, we pay for. There to many getting free rides in society, while we pay. And the rate of growth for these free benifits for these types, means less for us. MT

You figure what they must do during their idle times?

I'm trying to figure out the delicate way to put this... They make more just like them.

Since you mentioned car insurance, I found out an interesting fact, your probably going to think IM not so smart but I never knew each year the value of my vehicles have been going down but the insurance stays almost the same. Friday I called State Farm Rep, my Jeep for total loss is worth only 3 to 5 K so why am I paying money sez I, I reduced 6 month premium by almost $200, my Toyota Land Cruiser a '96 in excellent condition, a classic, was made for 15 months,is also worth maybe 5K total loss, I saved 6 months $267, total $934 yearly and I forgot about wife's vehicle which is a '06.

I called my brother, he also saves his old vehicles, puts minimum insurance, he has a Range Rover, a real one, not a Ford, keeps it in top condition, worth $3k, try to buy one at that price, same with my Jeep, what a racket.

Since you mentioned car insurance, I found out an interesting fact, your probably going to think IM not so smart but I never knew each year the value of my vehicles have been going down but the insurance stays almost the same. Friday I called State Farm Rep, my Jeep for total loss is worth only 3 to 5 K so why am I paying money sez I, I reduced 6 month premium by almost $200, my Toyota Land Cruiser a '96 in excellent condition, a classic, was made for 15 months,is also worth maybe 5K total loss, I saved 6 months $267, total $934 yearly and I forgot about wife's vehicle which is a '06.

I called my brother, he also saves his old vehicles, puts minimum insurance, he has a Range Rover, a real one, not a Ford, keeps it in top condition, worth $3k, try to buy one at that price, same with my Jeep, what a racket.

I actually had an insurance agent have the audacity to tell me once that they didn't make any money from auto insurance..The only reason they carried it was because it was mandatory that drivers have it..I didn't know whether to laugh or cuss..I had to bite my tounge to keep from saying, "Yeah right..If you weren't making money off it, you wouldn't carry it, period..Mandatory or not!"

It just ticks me off when someone tries to play me for stupid.. :angry:

I actually had an insurance agent have the audacity to tell me once that they didn't make any money from auto insurance..The only reason they carried it was because it was mandatory that drivers have it..I didn't know whether to laugh or cuss..I had to bite my tounge to keep from saying, "Yeah right..If you weren't making money off it, you wouldn't carry it, period..Mandatory or not!"

It just ticks me off when someone tries to play me for stupid.. :angry:

I have to agree with you there. That agent usually makes around 15% commission of your premium at the first time you purchase it and maybe 10% at each renewal, plus some companies give him trips to Hawaii etc if they have enough policies on their book. They really like to sell you life insurance since less than 10% of all 20 year term policies actually ever pay out a benefit since after a while the buyer forgets to pay the premium. They collect all that money and never pay the claim that way.

Archived