SASS Wire Forum

I can finaly talk - write

Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022

Two weeks ago, I had to put my 16 year old poodle down. He travelled everywhere with me, slept with me, camped out and hunted with me. He played in the snow and ran on the beaches with me. He was a great nurse dog, knew when and where I was sick. Waited up nights for me to come home when I was travelling for work. He was 16, had gone blind, mostly deaf and was very confused at most things. We had talked and I told him he could go when he felt it was time. He had been the best dog I had ever been partnered with. He stopped eating On a Sunday and by Wed, I had to put him down. My veterinarian, Susan has been down this road with my wife and our pets over the last 30 years many times. He sat in my arms, did not struggle or fight as he normally did at the vets office. Susan (God Bless Her)put him down with all the compassion and care a Veterinarian can for the human left behind. I thank God for giving me this wonderful dog. He gave me great joy and love for 16 years. To allthose I have offered prayers and thoughts for who ahve lost pets in the past. Know it will be a sad time for me for a long while, but I am a better man for having known CoCo. He helped me learn many things about my self.

We share your love and grief. I have had the joy of 6 loyal canine companions over my 62+ years(of course, they didn't think/realize they were not people :wub: ), and I have put down three myself at the vets, as you most lovingly did for CoCo.

I've always felt it was important to be there, present and holding my pard when they went. Tore my guts each time, but reassuring at the same time. I think they know exactly what is happening and understand. Thank you for doing the same for CoCo. Damn, my screen is blurry.

God Bless,

Harvey

God Bless you, Muleshoe Bill! You've done exactly the ritgh thing, at the right time and I thnk you know it. CoCo, and all the rest of your family who have gone before, will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Rainbow Bridge

Prayers up for you pard.I have a 14 year old lab I am going to miss when he has to go.

Muleshoe Bill

First let me say how sorry I am that you lost such a close companion.

Pets are so special that when they have to leave us they end up taking a big chunk right out of your heart.

Sometimes it helps to write down stories about your life and times with your pet. It gives you some closure for the now and in later years you will find the writings and have to have a smile on your face just remembering some of the good (and not so good) times you experienced together.

Sometimes the stories can just be a few words that remind you of an event.

Just a thought to help you get through it.

Ride easy, Pard.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Hi Waimea,

You have an excellent idea there. My wife put together a photo album of CoCo pictures for me> I wrote out a title page "From the top of Mt. Wilson to the shores of Gulf" But had not thought about stories. I think I will start with one from when he was about a year old, and my youngest son and I were up over 8 thousand feet in the snow and my son tossed CoCo into the snow bank off the side of the road. I about lost it, I knew there would be no way to get to the little guy before he dug himself into the snow in some direction and froze. Next thing I knew, the side of the embancment blew open and here comes that little brown poodle digging his way out furiously yapping as he saw me.

Hi Waimea,

You have an excellent idea there. My wife put together a photo album of CoCo pictures for me> I wrote out a title page "From the top of Mt. Wilson to the shores of Gulf" But had not thought about stories. I think I will start with one from when he was about a year old, and my youngest son and I were up over 8 thousand feet in the snow and my son tossed CoCo into the snow bank off the side of the road. I about lost it, I knew there would be no way to get to the little guy before he dug himself into the snow in some direction and froze. Next thing I knew, the side of the embancment blew open and here comes that little brown poodle digging his way out furiously yapping as he saw me.

That's perfect.

Brought a smile to my face and I never even met CoCo the wonder poodle. :blush:

Sounds like he was a great dog!

Find comfort in your memories but don't get lost there.

There's pups at the pound that need a great home like you provided for CoCo.

Give yourself some time but don't let CoCo be your last.

I'll be thinkin' of ya, Pard.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Archived