SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero main spring

Lead Ringer

I have a question for you Ruger mechanics. How lite can you get the main spring and still have good primmer engagement? And what do you know about the Magic Springs?

I have two sets of tuned New Vaquero's, I ask this because, my wife's guns have an easier hammer pull? Her guns will also fire any and all primers.

Two other bits of information where I had the guns worked on I had noticed a bunch of wolf main spring packages labeled 19lb and 18lb? And at one time I brought my wife's guns back and asked if they could have a lighter hammer pull and he made that happen.

So,back to the first couple of questions. How Lite and Info on the Magic Springs

Thanks for your help.

Ringer

The OEM/NMV springs are about "rite" IMHO.

I have 2.25 lb "pull" on both of the wife's :wub: NMV's.

You can "adjust" the trigger return spring to help with that trigger pull. If YOU don't know how, WATCH someone who does BEFORE YOU try it ;)

One thing you need to think about is that when you go to very "lite" hammer springs. It will really increase your lock time(time from trigger pull till BANG). There IS a trade off.

Respectfully,

LG

I have a question for you Ruger mechanics. How lite can you get the main spring and still have good primmer engagement? And what do you know about the Magic Springs?

I have two sets of tuned New Vaquero's, I ask this because, my wife's guns have an easier hammer pull? Her guns will also fire any and all primers.

Two other bits of information where I had the guns worked on I had noticed a bunch of wolf main spring packages labeled 19lb and 18lb? And at one time I brought my wife's guns back and asked if they could have a lighter hammer pull and he made that happen.

So,back to the first couple of questions. How Lite and Info on the Magic Springs

Thanks for your help.

Ringer

I have the Magic Springs in several OM and a pair of NM Vaqueros. While I don't know the # of them they definately lightened things up. Also they come with a set of washers so what I did was install them and added washers till they would set off any and all primers in a blind test (I did not know which primer was being used).

It only took one washer in two different guns and all the rest were fine without any washers.

After all was done I could not tell the difference in the hammer pulls anyway and the pull was considerably lighter than stock.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks for your help.

Ringer

How light can you go depends on your guns. There is no absolute number as each gun will have different amounts of friction in the parts. The last time I used Magic Springs the ID of the springs was a tad tight and I had to radius the corners on the hammer strut to get them to work properly. Coil springs are cheap and easy to change. Buy the lightest ones you can get and then do some experimenting cutting or shimming coils, etc. New Model Vaqueros have different springs than the Vaquero and use lighter springs so the Wolf 18 and 19 pound springs would be on the heavy side.

I think that the stock hammer springs on the NMV is 17 lbs. The Wolff reduced power springs come in 14, 15, or 16 lbs. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing lighter springs, and went with 15. This is the weight that Longhunter uses in his kits/action work. I also read on another forum that someone started getting light primer hits after about a year using the 14 lb spring, so it sounds like 14 might be about the limit of what is reliable. I went with 15 for an extra margin of safety.

Wanted to add: I installed the Longhunter spring kit (15# hammer spring) on my NMVs without doing any other action work and they have been 100% reliable with both Federal and Winchester primers.

My wife's SASS Vaqueros came from Longhunter already slicked up (same springs) and have also been 100% reliable.

To be able to use the lightest springs, you have to have polished the hammer and frame to make sure there is no real friction to slow the hammer. You can often see where the hammer and frame slightly rub and leave marks on the hammer.

I think the stock New Vaquero has 17 pound springs.

I know some go as light as 14 or 15 pounds, but if you goo too light, some folks may find yourself waiting for the hammer to fall, even though it will fire the primers.

I think that the stock hammer springs on the NMV is 17 lbs. The Wolff reduced power springs come in 14, 15, or 16 lbs. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing lighter springs, and went with 15. This is the weight that Longhunter uses in his kits/action work. I also read on another forum that someone started getting light primer hits after about a year using the 14 lb spring, so it sounds like 14 might be about the limit of what is reliable. I went with 15 for an extra margin of safety.

with the 15lb wolf reduced power spring, have you ever had to worry about different brands of primers? Or lite primer strikes?

I have the Magic Springs in several OM and a pair of NM Vaqueros. While I don't know the # of them they definately lightened things up. Also they come with a set of washers so what I did was install them and added washers till they would set off any and all primers in a blind test (I did not know which primer was being used).

It only took one washer in two different guns and all the rest were fine without any washers.

After all was done I could not tell the difference in the hammer pulls anyway and the pull was considerably lighter than stock.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I wonder what pound wolf reduced power spring they would compare to? I would guess they must be pretty light weight if they come with washers to increase pressure.

Often with the New Vaquero's there is a bind in the hand to frame, as well as the transfer bar binding under the hammer. Not allowing the hammer to fully strike. When these issues are taken care of, usually during action work, much lighter springs in the 14 to 15 lb range can be used with no failures. El Mulo

Often with the New Vaquero's there is a bind in the hand to frame, as well as the transfer bar binding under the hammer. Not allowing the hammer to fully strike. When these issues are taken care of, usually during action work, much lighter springs in the 14 to 15 lb range can be used with no failures. El Mulo

What he said. :D

Cutting off coils reduces the initial hammer pull - but the spring tension remains the same as it was when the hammer is being cocked fully. Cutting coils helps some, but is not for everyone. Plus it too can lead to miss-fires.

Since the pressure to cock the hammer is now "two stage" it is more likely that the shooter will "slip-cock" and not fully cock the hammer.

Using a lighter spring will give more consistent tension throughout the entire cocking cycle.

And Seven's Magic Springs are pretty neat! You know he is an active Cowboy shooter..

Wanted to add: I installed the Longhunter spring kit (15# hammer spring) on my NMVs without doing any other action work and they have been 100% reliable with both Federal and Winchester primers.

My wife's SASS Vaqueros came from Longhunter already slicked up (same springs) and have also been 100% reliable.

I second the 15lb Wolf hammer springs, they will set off anything except old CCI primers. It's what I use.

Tennessee Deadeye

Cutting off coils reduces the initial hammer pull - but the spring tension remains the same as it was when the hammer is being cocked fully. Cutting coils helps some, but is not for everyone. Plus it too can lead to miss-fires.

Since the pressure to cock the hammer is now "two stage" it is more likely that the shooter will "slip-cock" and not fully cock the hammer.

Using a lighter spring will give more consistent tension throughout the entire cocking cycle.

And Seven's Magic Springs are pretty neat! You know he is an active Cowboy shooter..

I agree fully with smoothen up the action but I don't get the two stage comment, unless we're talken about cuttin the spring down to the point it's loose at rest. Otherwise if the spring is still under compression at rest it's going to steadily increase the pressure as the hammer is cocked and the spring compressed - just less compression = less total spring pressure at full cock because there's less spring to compress.

By the way I use 17# Wolff springs with 1-1/2 coils cut off in my Old Model Vaqueros. Don't care to go lighter but they have always had reliable ignition.

+1

I have a brace of incredibly smooth Jimmy Spurs NV's in 45 Colt. Had some FTF with hard primers during the primer shortage (can't pin down which they were).

Bad Bascomb installed Wolf 15# springs in both and no more problem with same primers (and others) - and still smooth and light. I may try the 14# at some point, but don't see the need now.

Cheers,

Harvey :)

Harvey.......IF it AIN'T broke, etc. etc. etc. ;)

Cheers,

LG

Yep. That's why I'm stickin' with the 15#ers till I'm close to L-D and Deuce (in my dreams).

Hope you and Ima are coming up this Saturday for our "Weak One" February Shoot!? ;)

Harvey

I too ran into the same delima while working on my Ruger single actions. I know that for the Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter and an OM Bisley Vaquero (asked for by name) I was sent the same reduced power Wolfe spring kits. They both had 17, 18, and 19 pound mainsprings with the instructions to go as light as you could with 100% ignition. I received different springs for the New Model Vaquero which were lighter (just eyeball and feel) than the above spring kits. I also received kits for my Super Redhawks and was told a different story of needing to use the heaviest of the "lighter" springs for the mainspring? Maybe the Super Redhawks are a bit more sensitive to spring reduction? Smithy.

with the 15lb wolf reduced power spring, have you ever had to worry about different brands of primers? Or lite primer strikes?

100% reliable with both Winchester and Federal primers. This has been over a year of shooting three matches per month. Also, my hammers have some slight drag marks from the frame, so they are far from slicked up. I would say that 15# springs are heavy enough to be reliable in a non-slicked up gun. With ideal conditions (polished hammers, Federal primers), you should be able to go lighter.

I will order the 14,15 and 16 pound three spring kit from Brownell's. Only 9 bucks per pack. I'll try them out and see what works. May just settle on the 15lb spring, seems to be a lot of good results posted on the 15lb.

Thanks for the good info.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I will order the 14,15 and 16 pound three spring kit from Brownell's. Only 9 bucks per pack. I'll try them out and see what works. May just settle on the 15lb spring, seems to be a lot of good results posted on the 15lb.

You could call my friend Wes Flowers, tell him what ya got and he can fix ya up with springs. He's done a few of these so probably has a little insight. http://cas-town.com/WestFargoGunsmith/contact.html

Good Luck

OMV and NMV hammer springs are not the same ;)

Wolff Gunsprings are the best made B)

LG

Howdy; I found changeing out the trigger return spring worked for trigger pull, 40 ounce is best for reliable use.

With ORINGAL Ruger vaquero the 19 pound hammer spring was best for easy pull and fast hammer fall.

As to Magic spring the flat wire are great but do sack out in a few years use. I took the magic springs out of the ORINGAL rugers and put them in the NEW models for a smooth trigger pull with consistant firm hits. Liked them better then the wolfe springs.

Archived