SASS Wire Forum

Video - Shooting the Colt Paterson Revolver

Many years ago in the mid 1950s I traded for a Texas Model Colt Paterson orginal that was in very good condition and being a young man who at that time there was little or not books about how rare the gun was few colloctors to talk with and no gunshows that I knew off. About the only person that was around was Leon Jackson from up in the Dallas area and he had run a story in a book about the old Colts and their history.

I had a very old German lady from Fredericksburg, Texas call me and ask if I would be interested in an old gun she had found in her attic. I lived in Kerrville about 26 miles away and made to trip and after finding her house, She invited me in and told me right off that she was sorry she could not offer me a clod drink because her refrigerator had gone out. Back then that was always how one was welcomed with a drink or a snack to eat. I sit on her couch as she went to her bedrrom and returned holding a towel with the old Colt in it.

At first I just looked the old gun over having never had one like this inmy hands before and futher more never had even seen one before muchless had one in my hands. I had the long barrel and a good bit of orginal bluing left on it and the cyclinder engraving was complete. I was looking for the trigger and after a while I pulled the hammer back and down dropped the trigger. She asked if I wanted to old Colt and I said yes I would like to have it and I ask what she was looking to get for it, She replyed she needed a new refrigerator and she would be willing to trade for one. I told her I would buy one for her in exchange for the old Colt. I went back to Kerrville and made a deal with a store for a refrigerrator and it was a G.E. and it cost $47.00 and that was a good sum of money for a young man back then. I paid $10.. down and agreed to pay the rest out at $5.00 a month. I took her the new G.E. refrigerator and she give me the old Colt.

I took it out to shoot it and it hit high and to the left at 25 steps. The trigger is not the best on a Paterson but the old timers were used to holding to the side or up or down and if You research how the Paterson was used in fights it was from a short distance from house back or close quarters anyway. I would compare the power of a Paterson to maybe a 38 S&W. I shot the Old Colt for a year or better and enjoyed shooting it. It never chain fired or misfired once. At the same time, I had the Paterson I had traded for the love of my life and to this day If I could get up ever morning and kick my own ass I would for ever selling it,,,,A Orginal C Company Colt Walker. Now THAT WAS THE GUN. At fifty steps it was right on target and it had a hair trigger and I shot it and killed several deer with it. I loved that OLD Walker. I used to sit at night holding it in my hands and as I looked down that long nine inch barrel I could see Indians and Mexicans in the sights from many years ago. Today I would trade my entire collection for that same old Colt today just to have it in my hands again.

Today one has to remember that it was in the mid 1950s that gun collecting started in a big way. I am sad to say that as a kid always looking for a new experence I traded both the Old Colts off and for the Walker I got $350.00 and it sold the next year for all of $750.00. The second love of My life was the day I bought My first Colt 45 SSA that had blood pitting from the gunfighter that used it and was killed at Del Rio, Texas in a fight with the Rangers. I lost the gun in a breakin and never have got it back. serial number 256887. I would give a reward if someone returned it to me many times what it would sell for today.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Always admired that lil' revolver - saw a few mountain men at rendezvous with 'em and thought it was just cool. Thanks for the video (as usual :) )

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Texas man, great tales. Thanks for sharing with us.

I kick myself because, when I was in college in the early 1970s I had a chance to buy a nice 1890 Remington for a couple of hundred dollars, but I let it pass.

Great video Mike. I have no ideas of adding a Patterson to my inventory but one question does come to mind and I will ask it. What was your impression of the 'out of the box' quality of this Pietta model and is it an older model or newly made? Did you need to do anything to the gun before making the video? I have really become a big fan of the recently made Pietta Colt models and now have several but the older versions were never as dependable for me.

Slowhand, I can't remember when I got this gun, but it must be 15 years... at least.

I've never done any work on it. To tell the truth, I probably only have 100 rounds through it. It just isn't very convenient to shoot. I wanted it more as a reference gun and photo prop than as a shooter.

If'n a person had a patient (very patient for me :lol: ) posse, it would be unbelievably cool to shoot a pair of these with a single shot rifle and shotgun at a match, while dressed as an 1840's Texas Ranger. I realize you could only cap four at the loading table, then cap the fifth on the clock before shooting. I figger I could do a 10-10-4 stage in about 3 minutes, if I was really on my game.

But as Gus would say, "Aye God, that guy is way too cool." Well, maybe Gus wouldn't have said it, but someone would. :lol:

Mike, thanks for posting that, I've always been curious about the Patterson. I sure didn't know about the key that rotates the cylinder, and never thought about the difficulty in cocking single handed.

Texas Man, as always, I enjoy your posts. Keep 'em coming.

BDM, actually the answer I was hoping for and thanks for another cool video. I would pick it over the single shot pistols any day. Pulp, lets make that a 10-10-2 stage and shoot it with a hammered double barrel muzzle loading shotgun.

BDM, actually the answer I was hoping for and thanks for another cool video. I would pick it over the single shot pistols any day. Pulp, lets make that a 10-10-2 stage and shoot it with a hammered double barrel muzzle loading shotgun.

But... you gotta do that with a Henry (and not the imposter)!

Great video... Thanks for that...

I can't imagine loading one of those with lead flying past my head.

Mike, my kids get such a sour face every time I get the TV remote as I always will put it on the History Channel. For the very same reason I enjoy watching that channel, I thoroughly enjoy each and every video you post. They are extremely informative and I learn volumes about guns that are long since "collected" up and reproductions are either hard to come by or cost prohibitive. So I get to see and learn about firearms that I alone couldn't afford or have the opportunity to learn about by myself. You have yet to make a video that I haven't watched several times over. Keep up the good work as you enjoy to shoot and talk about the gun history. I will be waiting for your next installment to view and enjoy. Thanks again. Smithy.

Great video of a pistol I really want to own some day. Keep up the great work.

and if any of you boys want something other than a reproduction of a Colt Paterson........Click

~:Wylie:~

Archived