SASS Wire Forum

Color Case Hardening

Come On Christmas

Hey -

When did color case hardening come into the picture?

I bought this and it got me to thinking again . . .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=253230809

Ain't she a beauty? :wub:

Shameless Womanizer, Esquire

Howdy

Case Hardening of iron and steel goes back a long, long way. I have seen examples of case hardening on flintlock rifles from the 1700s. I suspect it goes back much longer than that.

Case Hardening is simply a process used to infuse extra carbon into the surface of relatively soft iron and steel. The colors are just a by product of the hardening process. The purpose of Case Hardening is to give the metal a hard outer skin that is wear resistant. The interior of the metal remains ductile and impervious to shock. The brilliant colors we usually associate with Case Hardening were mostly a product of competition among mass production firearms companies in the second half of the 19th Century. Each company had their own closely guarded secret formulas for bringing out striking colors in when they Case Hardened their parts. But actual Case Hardening for hardness goes way, way back, perhaps 1000 years.

By the way, I have never seen a Remington revolver with a Case Hardened frame. I believe the originals were all blued.

Guest Texas Jack Black

Case hardening has been around for at least 1,ooo years, Color case hardening done for cosmetic reasons has been with us since the early nineteenth century.

T J B

Couldn't case less about "period correct" :o If it looks good to me , then I'll buy it. 'Sides this aint a period correct sport. :rolleyes:

Had read that no 'case-hardened' 1858's were made back in the day, but I like the look. :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If you like it Shameless, nothing else much matters. I personally don't like it on Remingtons, but it's not my gun so you can invite me to kiss off. I won't even be offended. :D

If you like it Gunner, nothing else much matters. I personally don't like it on Remingtons, but it's not my gun so you can invite me to kiss off. I won't even be offended. :D

Hey, some like it, some may not, some don't care...all good by me :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

It will look good with my pristine Rogers and Spencer which is an evolution of the Remington.

I was just wondering about the authenticity. I just won't shoot NCOWS with it. But, my membership has lapsed anywoo.

Shameless

Modern guns really don't need case-hardening but it looks great. I don't care that any particular models may not have been originally case-hardened/colored; I love how the look! I have modern Colts with case-color and many high end clones come in CC.

I looked through the Marlin reference by Brophy and most of their rifles and some shotguns were available with case-hardening as a "modest" cost option; about $2-3 extra on all the levers from 1881.

I had my modern 44 mag 94 (DOM 1969) case colored about 8 years ago after a factory Cowboy conversion. It looks great and was worth every $ spent.

Look at it here: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/DirtwaterDoc/Case%20Colored%2044%20Marlin/?action=view&current=1894in44.jpg

DD

Archived