SASS Wire Forum

Bringing a cocked firearm to the line

Would you speak English please? :blink:

Thank you PS, thought it was me...

I would think that a shooter could do either when leaving the unloading table, cock the hammers back or leave them down. The two times I used a hammer double I left them down and cocked them at the loading table.

After all, the gun is,(or should be)with the hammers cocked, open, empty and safe just like the hammer less guns.

Thank you PS, thought it was me...

I would think that a shooter could do either when leaving the unloading table, cock the hammers back or leave them down. The two times I used a hammer double I left them down and cocked them at the loading table.

After all, the gun is,(or should be)with the hammers cocked, open, empty and safe just like the hammer less guns.

Eggsackly! I shot a hammer double for years. Always cocked it at the ULT so I didn't need to think about it again until I went to re-load it during the next stage. No OPEN, empty SG ever hurt anybody except by falling on their toe.

Huh?

Hammered and boxlock double, and lever action are the only shotguns allowed in Frontiersman and the hammered double or lever action are only shotguns allowed in CC. SHB page 15

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

........ because all those are allowed, the externally hammered double is not required.

Huh?

Hammered and boxlock double, and lever action are the only shotguns allowed in Frontiersman and the hammered double or lever action are only shotguns allowed in CC. SHB page 15

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Fingers, since I have two of the best external hammer doubles ever made for SASS, believe me, if only hammered doubles were allowed, I would be using them. In fact, I wouldn't have needed to buy 2 SKBs.

Fingers, since I have two of the best external hammer doubles ever made for SASS, believe me, if only hammered doubles were allowed, I would be using them. In fact, I wouldn't have needed to buy 2 SKBs.

He's saying that Hammered doubles, boxlock doubles & lever SGs are allowed.

Boxlock >>>> The boxlock action is a hammerless action of a type commonly used in double barreled shotguns, dating back to 1875.

Hi PWB,

may be I'm a little slow, but I just understood from this post what the handbook meant by "mule-eared" shotgun... only a common external hammered SxS (I think I understood well).

But in the weapon history, mule-eared guns are not really that. They are external hammered guns but with hammer(s) LATERAL and perpendicular to the side of the gun when cocked. It seems to me that mule-eared SG is not what we usually use in the CAS. I cannot remember having seen or heard af any "mule-eared SxS shotgun" as this style of hammers is mostly found on old percussion rifles or fowlers of the early 19th century and on the turret rifles of this period.

This word "mule-eared" in the SHB is very perturbing (mostly for non American members who cannot have a good knowledge of the guns) and should be changed to "external hammered", term which cover the common external hammerd SxS and the "true mule-eared" if any can exists and be used by cowboys.

Been to the "loo" lately? When we go to the bathroom, it's usually not to take a bath. Language usage changes from locale to locale. We can still communicate, but with a few hiccups now and then.

CR

Archived