SASS Wire Forum

How far down in the Water will Bullets Go?

Aunt Jen

Most of the time a couple or three feet. :unsure: If shot at some low angles a bullet will actually ricochet off of the surface just like skipping a rock. :o

I saw an interview with one D-Day vet who said he kept ducking under the water about 3 feet to get away from the mg rounds and made it to the beach.

Bullets lose their velocity very quickly after hitting the water. I think I would rather be in the water than a sitting duck one one of those thin skinned LCPs.

How far down in the Water will Bullets Go?

All the way to the bottom. ;)

Except for them wood dum-dum thingys.

All the way to the bottom. ;)

Except for them wood dum-dum thingys.

"...How far down in the water will bullets generally go before they are no longer lethal? " :P

I was just trying to figure out how far Richard Geere had to dive before he was safe from Bruce Willis. :) Lead "raindrops keep falling on my back" should not be a problem. :D

"...How far down in the water will bullets generally go before they are no longer lethal? " :P

I was just trying to figure out how far Richard Geere had to dive before he was safe from Bruce Willis. :) Lead "raindrops keep falling on my back" should not be a problem. :D

There are two entirely different questions there.

"...How far down in the water will bullets generally go before they are no longer lethal? "

is entirely different from:

"how far Richard Geere had to dive before he was safe from Bruce Willis." Because Bruce was using bullets designed and created in Hollywood which have magical properties known only to the producers of the film.

One of the ways they used to fake the underwater view of that was with a compressed air gun firing clear ice pellets or even just tossing marbles by hand amazing how real it could look.

I admit to being a bit surprised by the way the .50 BMG ball rounds (and M1 Garand shots too) broke up when fired at water by the Myth busters folks as a Kid I would make ship models and float them on the Mill Pond at our farm and then from a ledge about 30 feet above shoot at them... with standard FA pre WW II (FA 39 mostly) 30.06 ball ammo from my P 1917 and when I would drain the pond ( about 5 acres but only about 1/2 acre was over 6 feet deep most was 2 to 3 feet deep) every other year or so to clean it of crud in the deep area off of the swimming beach... there would be nice little pile of the bullets right under where I had been sinking the enemy navy and the range was about 75 to 125 feet but bone of them broke up and in fact except for the ones that had hit something hard in the models such as the electric motor they looked good enough to reload and shoot again.

There are two entirely different questions there.

"...How far down in the water will bullets generally go before they are no longer lethal? "

is entirely different from:

"how far Richard Geere had to dive before he was safe from Bruce Willis." Because Bruce was using bullets designed and created in Hollywood which have magical properties known only to the producers of the film.

Ah, yes,the Hollywood Magic Bullet Phenomenon. True.

Good thing they weren't using Marvin the Martian's Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Right. Richard wouldn't have stood a chance that way, but then Bruce would have wound up being a successful assassin, and we wouldn't have had as good a movie. So my guess is the director locked it up during filming.

This past 4th of July in Kansas City, a little girl died in her own back yard from a stray bullet. After some really awesome detective work, police found some guys who had been firing a Glock from a dock into a small lake for some harmless fun. The boys figured the bullets were just going into the water, when instead some were skipping off the surface and traveling across a small cove. What a tragic science and ballistics lesson.

I know you were. I was kidding.

The Mythbuster test had one flaw. They were firing the high powered rifles from just barely above the water. The bullets were still at max velocity when hitting the water, thus tearing them up. Remember the slower velocity 9mm they tested? It penetrated 12 inches of ballistic gel after going through a foot or so of water. The 12 gauge slug penetrated the gel, went to the bottom of the tank, bounced back up and penetrated the gel again if I remember correctly.

Bullets striking water from long range and at lower velocity will retain lethality further into the water.

Archived