SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Steel Challenge

Ruger(first annual) Steel Challenge was held at Caverns Cove in Grant, Alabama yesterday. It is the home of the Alabama Regulators and home of Ambush. Although the Ruger reps didn't show up the match (locally run)was a complete success. I don't know all the statistics and I wouldn't dare try to guess at them, all I know is that Barkeep Casey, Granna, Uncle Frank, all the work crew, the registration crew, Woody Anderson Ford and not being and expert on this match I know I am leaving a lot of folks out so please forgive me,that they put on one heck of a match. It was one of the most fun 22 matches I have ever shot.

Badlands Bob, Confederated Scout and I traveled over from Gainesville, Ga. on Friday so that we could get in a little practice because these 'bama boys have a slight advantage over us Jawja boys. After practice we had refreshments and dinner with Uncle Frank, Granna, and few of the shooters who came in early and Lickskillet Charlie and his jar of homemade lemomade.(********************)

Confederated Scout had to ride home with two trophy winners who couldn't keep their mouth's shut so he curled up in the back seat and went to sleep. Badlands Bob was so blantant with his trophy he stood it up on the dash of CC's truck so the whole world could see it. Of course,me,being the gentleman I am, did not even talk about winning 2nd place in Cowboy Senior and 2nd place in Senior Limited. I will let somebody else tell the story of how I blew away the chances of winning first place.

A good time as usual was had by all, except LSC (he has a lemonade hangover)

Thanks to all the folks in Alabama who had anything to do with putting on this fantastic shoot.

Now Charlie now that ain't the way it happened ,yall roped me,tied me to a post an poured that lemonaide down me to take me out of the competition saturday,guess what it worked.Well see here's what happened with CC he got to hors'n around shooting outlaw in cowboy division & limited division and still

took 2nd place in both divisions.Iff'n he would have buckled down he would have took 1st in each class. But we was all just having too much fun.

Now i would like give special thanks to Barkeep Casey-Match Director,Uncle & Granna and all the sponsors and workers who put on this match.What a great turn out for the 1st annual.

Also congrats to Buck D Law 1st Cowboy Division , Bama Kid 2nd , Badlands Bob 3rd Sugah 1st Cowgirl Division- 2nd Limited Division and Sugah thanks for taking all the great pictures hope you will post them for all to see.

To check out the web site go to caverncoverimfire.com or cowboyrimfireshoot.com LSC

Mr. Grizz if you ever get over torward Alabama way ,look us up we shoot cowboy 22 rimfire on saturday and our regular cowboy match on sunday the first weekend of every month.Ambush at Cavern Cove our state match the first weekend of october.Now ya may have to put up with that ol horse thief out of Tennessee believe his name is Blackwater Desperado, he's been known to come down an shoot with us quite often.Hope to see ya down the road.BTW great article in the CC. LSC

Ruger(first annual) Steel Challenge was held at Caverns Cove in Grant, Alabama yesterday. It is the home of the Alabama Regulators and home of Ambush. Although the Ruger reps didn't show up the match (locally run)was a complete success. I don't know all the statistics and I wouldn't dare try to guess at them, all I know is that Barkeep Casey, Granna, Uncle Frank, all the work crew, the registration crew, Woody Anderson Ford and not being and expert on this match I know I am leaving a lot of folks out so please forgive me,that they put on one heck of a match. It was one of the most fun 22 matches I have ever shot.

Badlands Bob, Confederated Scout and I traveled over from Gainesville, Ga. on Friday so that we could get in a little practice because these 'bama boys have a slight advantage over us Jawja boys. After practice we had refreshments and dinner with Uncle Frank, Granna, and few of the shooters who came in early and Lickskillet Charlie and his jar of homemade lemomade.(********************)

Confederated Scout had to ride home with two trophy winners who couldn't keep their mouth's shut so he curled up in the back seat and went to sleep. Badlands Bob was so blantant with his trophy he stood it up on the dash of CC's truck so the whole world could see it. Of course,me,being the gentleman I am, did not even talk about winning 2nd place in Cowboy Senior and 2nd place in Senior Limited. I will let somebody else tell the story of how I blew away the chances of winning first place.

A good time as usual was had by all, except LSC (he has a lemonade hangover)

Thanks to all the folks in Alabama who had anything to do with putting on this fantastic shoot.

Charlie:

Not familiar with the format...how does such a match work?

Thanks.

LL

The best info I can give you is to go to the North Alabama Regulators web page and go to the bottom right to the cowboy hat click on it and it will take you to the 22 section and there is a film clip for the Ruger Steel Challenge. Ruger also has a film clip on their web site. Believe me, this is a hoot. It is addictive. I just can't get enough of it. I am hooked.

Charlie:

Not familiar with the format...how does such a match work?

Thanks.

LL

You shoot one of three classes:

Cowboy, with a lever or pump rifle and two single action revolvers.

Limited, any single action or double action revolver, or semi automatic pistol, and any lever, pump, bolt or semi auto rifle, all guns must use steel sights, and no compensator.

Open, any of the above guns, if any or all of them have optical sights, such as red dot or scopes. Compensators are allowed.

The course is ten stages, with handguns and rifles shot at separate times on different stages. Five stages with handgun(s), and five with rifle. You shoot four strings of five shots each on steel targets for each stage. Your worst score of the four strings is discarded. A procedural is a 30 second penalty. A miss is a 5 second penalty.

I know I had a good time. My thanks to all those folks that worked so hard to put this match on. The range is in great shape and just seems to get better every year. Who would have ever guessed that it would be so challenging putting 5 rounds on 5 targets. If you weren't doing it clean in less than 3 seconds, you were backing up. That's with cowboy guns. Cut that time in half for them bottom feeders. I'm already lookin' forward to next year. I think I'll practice up a little before next time. LSC gave me a pretty good run for it this time.

I think I will stop talking about it. If the gamers see that I won second they will know that they can win and they will come running by the dozens. Aw heck! Bring em on, bring 'em on, I say.

I too think this was a well run match.. Those who deserve the credit should certainly get it. I would like to hear why Ruger didn't make an appearance. Those folks at the Caverns worked their tails off to put on a class act shoot in the name of Ruger.

You are right about one thing BLB, we need practice.We need practice. We need practice.

Mr. Grizz if you ever get over torward Alabama way ,look us up we shoot cowboy 22 rimfire on saturday and our regular cowboy match on sunday the first weekend of every month.Ambush at Cavern Cove our state match the first weekend of october.Now ya may have to put up with that ol horse thief out of Tennessee believe his name is Blackwater Desperado, he's been known to come down an shoot with us quite often.Hope to see ya down the road.BTW great article in the CC. LSC

I think Blackwater an me is twin sons from different mothers, only he got all the good looks and height, and I got, well, I guess I got all the belly fat. I need to get me another single six, for a while I had my father in laws so I had two, but after he passed, my mother in law wanted it sold and I didn't have the cash right then. My first full cowboy match was a special match that had an adult .22 catagory and I didn't have my match guns yet so I used the .22s, it was a hoot.

Thanks for all the great feedback! We had a heck of a great day! You should of seen Cherokee Charlie shooting outlaw on five targets in just over 2 seconds! Blazing fast! and Lickskillet can blame it on some crazy lemonade, but even the semi auto guys were in awe of his 1.5 second runs with a single action. It was something to see! I cannot wait for the .22 side match at Ambush!

Barkeep,One thing i would like to add is the smiles & grins from all the youngsters that shot this match from 8yrs old to 16yrs old. That really made my day seeing them have that much fun shooting and at the awards banquet the look on their faces when their name was called to come up to get their trophy and have their picture made .Man that was priceless.

You are right about that LSC because there were a couple of young men that I know I was probably boring to death because I kept asking them if they were still having fun and sure enough I would get a big smile and they would say "I sure am". These young folk (boys and girls) all seemed to be having a great time and their parents looked as if they were having a much better time being there with them and shooting with them. I saw a lot of families shooting together. Can't wait until next year.

BLB,Next time we got to remember an keep the back door closed and locked, we left it open and Buck & Bama slipped in when we were'nt looking. HA HA HA Must have been napping from all that lemonaide or having too much fun to notice. LSC

What we both have to remember is to shoot when we are shooting and stop playing around. Have plenty of fun but not on the firing line. I do not take my shooting serious enough. I am a clown and I know it. If I had known that I was in the running for a trophy I would have stopped all the cutting up and shot at the targets. At least aim at them. :lol::lol::lol:

BLB,Next time we got to remember an keep the back door closed and locked, we left it open and Buck & Bama slipped in when we were'nt looking. HA HA HA Must have been napping from all that lemonaide or having too much fun to notice. LSC

Yea, I used up all my monkey dust on your guns and I didn't have enough for Bama and Buck. I'll bring more next year.

BLB , "MONKEY DUST" Wondered why those guns were so slick.Thats the first time i ever shot a match like that,with borrowed guns to boot.Also a special thanks to CC & Bo Didley for the loan of the guns. CC your'e right we do horse around a lot,but where else can you find a half blind,short legged,midget smuggler to harass HE HE HE, Just jossin ya. Check out the pictures Sugah posted CAVERN COVE RIMFIRE they are great. LSC

I have already checked them out. A fantastic job was done by Sugah on those pics. When did she find the time to do that? She was shooting.

LSC, that's bold talk for a bowlegged one kneed fat man with 'roids. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived