SASS Wire Forum

Vanilla Extract

Trigger Mike

On Gunsmoke a drunk got a hold of a bottle of vanilla Extract and was passed out drunk on it. Just What will a bottle of vanilla extract do to you?

It has alcohol. About 30%. It's been used by drunks for years.

Too expensive though.

It has alcohol. About 30%. It's been used by drunks for years.

Too expensive though.

Make that at least 35% (70 proof), Bob. I suspect that it was available in 'dry' counties since it wasn't a 'spiritous beverage' and so easier to get hold of than 'shine.

Decried and shunned by the Temperance Union. Along with fruitcake, cookies, Coca-Cola and Pepsi Cola, blah, blah, blah.

Vanilla extract, Sterno, Vitalis, Mennen Skin Bracer, and even liquid shoe polish have all been consumed by drunks at one time or another.

Hmmmm....you gotta wonder, does shoe polish taste better with or without an olive? :blink:

Reminds me, years ago, one of my dad's old buddies came through the check-out line at the local Rexall with a couple bottles of rubbing alcohol that were on sale. He casually mentioned to the sales clerk, "I understand this stuff goes pretty good when you mix it with orange juice." Naturally the clerk got a little frantic and said, "Oh no! Don't do that, sir, it will make you go blind!" To which my dad's pal replied, "No it won't. I strain it through my hanky!" :lol:

I was running a big job a few years ago and kept finding Vanilla Extract bottles in the block outs in the CMU walls. Painters were drinking the stuff, picking it up at the local convenience store. The rest of the painters were on the other end of the parking lot doing Meth. Not all painters are drunks or druggies, my dad is 82 and still runs his painting business.

LL'

A couple years ago I read where the patients at some hospitals in the UK were consuming the hand sanitizer that was everywhere for the nurses. They would mix it with orange juice. The most common hand sanitizers were 62% alcohol. The were doing it so much that the hospitals considered doing away with the sanitizers.

Yes it tastes like crap and it's not altogether good for one's health but neither are most of the other things consumed by addicts.

I know several kids I went through High School with that had Vanilla or Almond or the like breath every day. They would hit the grocery store and pick up a few bottles and sneak them onto campus in their lunches. I'd hate to see what they look like now......

What we got here is vanilla extract, the real stuff like they have in Mexico is illegal to import, suppossedly additive.....

What we got here is vanilla extract, the real stuff like they have in Mexico is illegal to import, suppossedly additive.....

You mean "addictive"?

Pure vanilla extract is made by macerating/percolating vanilla beans in a solution of ethyl alcohol and water. In the United States, in order for a vanilla extract to be called pure, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that the solution contain a minimum of 35% alcohol and 13.35 ounces of vanilla bean per gallon. Double and triple strength (till 20 fold) vanilla extracts are available.

The reports that I see say that cheap Mexican Vanilla products that you can buy across the border contain coumarin a blood thinner used in rat poison. The Mexican Vanilla that you can buy in the US does not contain coumarin (FDA prohibits coumarin in food products). The importable Mexican Vanilla products are only 4% alcohol.

I saw a documentary one time where people were puncturing the top of Lysol cans, draining the propellant and pouring the contents into a milk jug and passing it around. (obviously before "huffing" caught on)

Seems like maybe necessity is the "mother" of invention but addiction is the "mother" of adaptation.

SS

Archived