SASS Wire Forum

Tell me what you are thinking when someone says "RIBS".

I'll start out by saying I don't care what the animal is, I'll eat it if it tastes good. I just got confused by some terms. I have also carved up an animal or two but that was many years ago and terminology changes.

"Baby backs" are "not very big" pork ribs.

"spare ribs" are pork but it seems a bit passe because I don't see the term much now.

"short ribs" are beef, unless another animal is mentioned.

Any other terms strike your fancy or grill??

St. Louis Ribs. Kinda new(10 years ago) term from Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ. Pork ribs.

Country Ribs. My wife buys them (bone in) and I par boil them 45 mins in beer...BBQ them 5 mins per side(4) with sauce. YUMMY. Pork.

Big Jake

"Country style" ribs aren't really ribs. They're either cut from the sirloin or sometimes from the front shoulder. Yep...believe it or not. That's why they're so meaty. Why someone started calling them "country style ribs," we can only guess. :wacko:

Personally, the only way to go is with pork spareribs. Definitely the most flavorful, in my opinion. And, the best way to fix 'em?...I put them in a big, deep, 14-inch Dutch oven with barbecue sauce and let them slowly simmer for a good two hours. Believe me, there are no leftovers. :)

Also, to answer Marshal Mo Hare, spareribs are the lower portion of the ribs, coming from the side, closer to the belly, and below the back ribs. Of course, like you said, terminology changes, and all the info I've listed is from my experience years ago....so who knows? Also, I always heard that spareribs were the ones above the sternum.

The bottom line to all of this, though, is no matter what you call them or what animal they're from, they're dang good! ^_^

That dutch oven simmer is my favorite for "country ribs". Parboil in vinegar and water for about 45 minutes,

marinate overnight in the refrigerator in BAR B Q sauce of your choice and then cook in a dutch over for about three hours in sauce = No leftovers.

A few brewskies to wash it down along with the biscuits, coleslaw, potato salad and beans. Dessert as selected.

(Edited to add potato salad. How could you forget 'tater salad Charlie?)

That dutch oven simmer is my favorite for "country ribs". Parboil in vinegar and water for about 45 minutes,

marinate overnight in the refrigerator in BAR B Q sauce of your choice and then cook in a dutch over for about three hours in sauce = No leftovers.

A few brewskies to wash it down along with the biscuits, coleslaw, potato salad and beans. Dessert as selected.

(Edited to add potato salad. How could you forget 'tater salad Charlie?)

Thanks for the edit. I thought you had lost yore mind for a second. :lol:

Oink! OINK! I love Smoked OINK in all of its forms

:P:):lol:

one one of my favorites for a holiday party is the rib end Standing smokedPork loin roast about 6 to 8 lbs convection roast over Hard cider lightly infused with slivers of garlic along the backbone. dusted with lemon pepper any parts of the smoked surface that are exposed sealed with Dijon mustard Thick slices of hard apple held on with tooth picks and that same with slices of lemon

In the cider ( I like a dry hard cider there are some good ones from VT and NH or the English imports are also easy to find)about 20 to 30 Oz) a parsnip or 2 a thick sliced potato a few shallots a Carrot or 2. cook in a preheated 325 convection oven for 15 to 20 min a lb (the smoked meat is of course considered pre cooked)

Remove and let stand while you make the sauce;

separate out most of the fat from the drippings and cider and take the parsnips and carrots potatoes etc out and put on a plat in a keep warm oven to be served as braised veg with the meat ( I use a neat separator measuring cup like this http://www.amazon.com/Gravy-Fat-Separator-Measuring-Cup/dp/B001TAKBSG/ if you like to make gravy and sauces this removes on of the major hassles)

place in a large pan to reduce (depending on the roasting pan you used I just use the roasting pan) deglaze the brown bits in the pan with something good (I tend to use rainwater Madeira ) and pour the flavored cider back in the pan and use some Wondra to pick up any remaining fat and whisk it in (add extra wondra to reserved fat to make a thicker gravy) and keep whisking over heat to reduce to desired thickness and stir in red current jelly to correct the flavor if it is too sharp for your family this should take about 15 to 20 min which is a good standing time before you carve the roast. serve with the gravy/sauce and I use home made Macintosh applesauce as well each serving should get one of the thick slices of apple that cooked on the roast as a garnish...

Enjoy (Note that in many parts of country you now have to order this cut of smoked pork and only prepackaged smoked pork chops are on offer these days and they can be hard to cook without drying them out as they are so thin (they do make a good sandwich cold on toast though)

"Country-style ribs" came about around the late 60s (I think) as a way to market the rather fatty, bony looking rib end of the loin. I think it was a butcher/meat cutter in Chicago that came up with them. They caught like wildfire, so much so that meat cutters and butchers couldn't keep up with the demand for them. So in the early 80s I think it was, pork shoulder butts (Boston Butt) were split in two underneath the blade bone and cut up on a saw to keep up with the demand. I think better than 90% of the 'country ribs' sold now are really shoulder strips. Personally, I think they have the best flavor. But then, I like the big chunks of meat that you get from them, rather than the shreds you get from most true ribs.

Seasoning? Salt and pepper. Maybe some Worcestershire. Heat and smoke. Why complicate things?

Sides of potato salad, the mustard/mayo version, if you please, cole slaw, green beans with bacon and onion. And beer. Maybe New Belgiums Fat Tire Ale or 1554 Enlightened Black Ale.

ADDED:

And there is always:

That is one version, there are others that are pure pork.

HINT: If you make one of those and have leftovers, slice it the next morning, fry it up (batter and deep fry even better), and serve it on a split biscuit with a fried egg.

Ribs are a thing I love to eat

They put a smile on my face

I like it when my belly's full

And sauce is all over the place

Pork's my favorite, wet rubbed or dry

Slow cooked with hickory chips

It puts a sparkle in my eye

And puts more weight on my hips

While I like all the styles of pork ribs, my favorite is Elk ribs. I take the ribs and saw them off the back bone and the cut the into 2 slabs per side. Not a lot of fat, but lots of meat. I pressure cook them for about 5 minutes Kinda tenderizes them)and then put them on the BBQ at low heat and let them simmer along for a couple of hours (lid closed on cooker)adding sauce the last 1/2 hour or so. They are really great...real meaty.I do wild hogs the same wat too. :wub:

Archived