SASS Wire Forum

Rule Clarification Please

These rules appear to conflict with one another. If a stage calls for pistol-rifle-pistol-shotgun, what is the gunfighter supposed to do with his pistols between sequences? It appears (to me) the pistols can be safely reholstered as long as the hammers are fully down on an expended round.

11. Safe conditions of firearms during a course of fire are as follows:

• Revolver(s)

Safe for movement in hand, while holstering, and safe to leave the shooter’s hand.

• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber,

• Hammer fully down on an expended round (may not be originally staged in this

condition but may be restaged in this condition).

• While the above restrictions apply, there are additional considerations for the

Gunfighter. When shooting “Gunfighter Style,” a gunfighter may not holster

revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence. Once cocked, all

rounds are to be expended prior to holstering unless the revolvers were drawn at

the wrong time or a revolver/ammunition malfunction has occurred. Physical

stage design may allow a competitor shooting “Gunfighter Style” to stage or

restage revolvers between firearm sequences.

A gunfighter would probably shoot that stage "Double Duelist" or stage his guns on a prop if allowed between strings.

A gunfighter is the only shooter who can be penalized for reholstering a pistol with live rounds in it unless the shooter in the other categories has the hammer down on a loaded round.

Fillmore

A Gunfighter may NOT reholster a pistol until the pistol has been fired dry.

If the pistols are split on the stage - the Gunfighter has two options (if a staging area is available):

1. Shoot the stage Double Duelist.

2. Draw both pistols - expend five rounds - safely stage the pistols. Complete additional tasks. Pickup both pistols - expend remaining five rounds.

If no provision for safely staging the pistols is available or provided - the Gunfighter must shoot Double Duelist.

The reason for singling out gunfighters for no reholstering is (from my understanding) the very real possibility of a Gunfighter (especially double cockers) holstering a cocked pistol.

These rules appear to conflict with one another.

11. Safe conditions of firearms during a course of fire are as follows:

• Hammer fully down on an expended round (may not be originally staged in this

condition but may be restaged in this condition).

• When shooting "Gunfighter Style," a gunfighter may not holster

revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence.

This is not a conflict, it is simply an ADDITIONAL requirement that the GF must follow to avoid possible unsafe condition.

Good luck, GJ

If the pistols are split on the stage - the Gunfighter has two options (if a staging area is available):

2. Draw both pistols - expend five rounds - safely stage the pistols. Complete additional tasks. Pickup both pistols - expend remaining five rounds.

If no provision for safely staging the pistols is available or provided - the Gunfighter must shoot Double Duelist.

The reason for singling out gunfighters for no reholstering is (from my understanding) the very real possibility of a Gunfighter (especially double cockers) holstering a cocked pistol.

Yep.

Creeker nailed it again.

I always just shoot a stage like that DD. By the time I layed them down. Makeing sure you did not cock one before

laying it down. Come back and pick them up off the table.

I was always better off just shooting it DD.

+1

Not a chance. I'm so right-handed that my left hand is mostly a prop. I'm just trying to get schooled up so I can keep track of what you're doing!

I didn't think anyone could keep track of Hondo!!

Just watch the targets as he got to hit them in the same order as everyone else. It doesn't matter how he does it, as long as he is safe.

I didn't think anyone could keep track of Hondo!!

t

You are right. Nobody keeps track of Hondo. He does, however, keep track of the rest of us.

The other day he gave a non-sass friend of mine the best explanation of the various shooting styles I have ever heard. He, along with the rest of the Powder Creek Cowboys, also impressed my friend with his emphasis on safety so much so that I think I think my buddy might take up the game.

Archived