SASS Wire Forum

Darksider reloading question

I was busy stuffing BP into my 44-40 cases this morning and used the last of my large pistol primers.I have a box of large rifle primers and put one in a damged case and it seemed to fit. So my question is although it appears to fit in like the large pistol primers will there be any safey issues using them.Would hate to create any safety issues or hurt my 66...yes and me too.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

Not a real answer and there may be more to it but I have heard that rifle primers are made from heavier metal to withstand heavier firing pin blows?? If this were the only difference my thought would be that if they fire off dependably then there is no problem. Black powder is more forgiving in many aspects related to pressure and some even recommend hotter primers.

IIRC, there is a difference in the height of rifle primers vs pistol primers. The use of rifle primers in pistol brass may (may,I say!) lead to high primers binding up your revolver.

Large Rifle Primers have thicker and possibly harder cups not for heavier firing pin strikes but for the high pressures produced by rifle loads.

Large Rifle Primers have taller cups and if the primer pocket in the pistol brass is exactly to spec the rifle primer will stand above the base of the case. This can cause the primer to bind against the recoil shield face in a revolver.

Large rifle primers are not interchangeable with large pistol primers.

-------------------

Small Rifle Primers by some manufacturers are interchangeable with Small Magnum Pistol Primers.

Remington being one of those.

Read the full manufacturer specs if you plan to do this. Small Primers only.

Especially for the "large-" size cases that take large primers, due to different heights of the primer cup, it is a bad practice to substitute large rifle primers in a case (like .44 WCF) that is made for large pistol primers. You will get high primers! The .44 WCF already is prone to having high primers with pistol primers (if, when using BP you don't clean primer pockets every few loadings). It is almost certain to have high primers with rifle primers. And, they are harder to ignite with a firing pin strike, as the cup metal is tougher to withstand the higher pressures of a typical rifle cartridge (60,000 units, rather than 10-15,000 units in pistol loads).

Read and pay attention to your loading manual!

Good luck, GJ

I was busy stuffing BP into my 44-40 cases this morning and used the last of my large pistol primers.I have a box of large rifle primers and put one in a damged case and it seemed to fit. So my question is although it appears to fit in like the large pistol primers will there be any safey issues using them.Would hate to create any safety issues or hurt my 66...yes and me too.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

I've been rolling 44.40 for my '73 for about a year, (don't have any 44.40 revolvers). I have noticed that when I used large rifle primers, I could never get the primer flush with the bottom of the case. Recently went to a BP match and discussed this with fellow shooters, and was told to use strictly large pistol primers for 44.40 due to high primers, and needing a harder hit.

That being said, I have never had any issues with the primers causing a *boom* of the wrong kind, and I have seen a '66 go *boom* due to a high primer. But I did buy a box of large pistol primers recently for my 44.40 and will be staying on that path.

Final thoughts, stay with the large pistol primers.

Enjoy the Smoke!!

As a BP shooter of the 44-40 cartridge I will say that you received some top notch information. Lp all the way

Archived