SASS Wire Forum

Brass Catcher

I may not always be helpful, but usually I am trying to be. Honestly and sincerely. My initial contribution to yer little string here was meant to be also. It was to point out and I will do so again, if ye just really really hate to lose brass WB cannot be much fun.

That's a real problem with WB matches. It takes twice as long to pick up the brass. We should let it lay until the match is over then pick it up. Mark yer brass disinctly and ye get yer own back or just divvy it up equally. Those who need to get goin' or just don't care about getting their brass back can head on out. More for the others to divvy up. Plus you can get some good socializin' in pickin' up brass after the match in leisurely fashion.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I despise shagging brass. That said, I am a world class brass shagger. I have an extry long cadillac brass picker upper. Shagging brass takes away from my enjoyment of the match but I do it every stage every match for hundreds of matches in a row now. Why? No choice. Some other stove up cowpoke grabs the ULT gravy train job. Some (usually) female personage grabs the clipboard and sews up the gravy train scorekeeper job. And I know we ain't movin' on until a reasonable effort to collect that precious brass is made. I will never comprehend why cowboy shooters are so emotionally attached to a few pieces of base metal.

My favorite matches are lost brass matches and I shoot factory 357 in me rifle at big matches. Lost brass matches are very few and getting fewer even at the annual level. Why? Because cowboy shooters would rather get back their spent brass than a $20 gold piece. Beyond my comprehension.

All matches should be lost brass matches. Ejected brass should belong to the club as soon as it hits the ground. Raffle it off and put the money in the target/range improvement fund.

All matches should be lost brass matches. Ejected brass should belong to the club as soon as it hits the ground. Raffle it off and put the money in the target/range improvement fund.

No way...

A club can always find a brass rat - you get most your brass back and the kid gets a few bucks.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A wise person once said about cowboy action shooting ( I said wise person, certainly not me) that I have noted is pretty much a true observation. You can leave $5000 worth of guns and leather out in your cart and no one will take a thing, but if three cowboys spot a piece of brass at the same time, they will knock heads trying to get it.

No-E Dammit, you know that there are superior forces at work that will never recover all the brass you shoot. Even though everyone tries their darndest to get it all, somehow it just plain disappears. It is just not to be found, it is not there any more. So, I suggest that you are going to just have to lose some of your brass and that will keep Jess buying new to mix in and eventually all your old stuff will just be gone.

What I worry about the most is you shooting in that brown number with the bustle and some hot brass going down the front. That is just me though. Sorry, the devil made me do it. Probably the same devil that has been nabbing all our brass.

:wub:

Howdy,

I know I will never get all my brass back. However, when I only got three pieces back on a stage with 15 pistol and eight rifle. I thought that was a bit extreme. The other stages had a similar return.

I am incredulous that it is so shameful to try to solicit ideas for brass catchers. :rolleyes: I wish I could find the photo one person sent me of one.

The words that come to mind I will keep to myself.

Regards,

Allie Mo

A brass catch fence-funnel thingy located at each shooting position doesn't sound to Cowboy or Wild Bunch looking to me. :mellow:

Yep, shooting those semis will throw brass all over the place along with what the brass comes out of the rifle. Costly since it is all 40cal or above and the percentage of loss is higher.

Part of doing business as one poster has already mentioned.

Yup. Agreed.

Just call me stubborn...

After the negativity, I decided to search some more for the photo. I found it. Thank you Monte!

here is an example of what I am looking for.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hey Ms. Mo - I only tried to lighten the mood...anyway, your avatar is still smilin' so I see the 'negativity' hasn't beaten ya down. ;)

That's a real problem with WB matches. It takes twice as long to pick up the brass.. Mark yer brass disinctly and ye get yer own back or just divvy it up equally.

It really doesn't have to be that way. Before we start our WB match we explain that it will take two brass pickers per shooter on each stage. We try to make sure at least one of them is not doing double duty like spotting, so as soon as the shooters is safely away from one position the picker can start on that brass. We don't start a stage untill we have three spotters and two brass pickers, by the time the shotgun targets are reset, the score called out, and the 1911 cleared we are ready for the next shooter.

And yes I clearly mark my brass and suggest others do it as well, very easy to get most of your brass back by the end of the match.

ps; those little 45acp are hard to see at times, but if you will take a couple of steps down range and look back you can usually see the ones you miss. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Golly gee whilikers no E I warn't thinkin' to try to be condeesending whatever that means. I was workin' without tools again just to be thinkin'. I was merely trying to communicate that WB is not gonna be much fun if ya worry about losing brass.

Now I don't think I've PMed you in years now and until just now never realized you resented it. My altruism is often misunderstood. Rest assured I will not condescend to bother ever again. At least I have ascended to the level of GCK and Manatee and managed to put a bee in your bonnet. You come here and engage in the repartee but want everyone to agree with you and sing kumbaya. Not gonna happen. Grow some skin. Never claimed to be smart. If I were smart I would quit wasting my time trying to help the ungrateful. And I am sure far from rich. But I don't sweat lost brass or get emotionally attached to a few pieces of base metal, which I say agin IS cheap.

I say again -- shoot with abandon, don't sweat the brass.

Colonel, I can sure dang betcha they ain't gonna let ya wear that contraption at a SASS match. Fine for practice tho.

Utah Bob. Is this where we say "neener-neener"?????? <_<

No way...

A club can always find a brass rat - you get most your brass back and the kid gets a few bucks.

It really doesn't have to be that way. Before we start our WB match we explain that it will take two brass pickers per shooter on each stage. We try to make sure at least one of them is not doing double duty like spotting, so as soon as the shooters is safely away from one position the picker can start on that brass. We don't start a stage untill we have three spotters and two brass pickers, by the time the shotgun targets are reset, the score called out, and the 1911 cleared we are ready for the next shooter.

And yes I clearly mark my brass and suggest others do it as well, very easy to get most of your brass back by the end of the match.

ps; those little 45acp are hard to see at times, but if you will take a couple of steps down range and look back you can usually see the ones you miss. Good Luck :)

Har! Finding a kid to shag brass is impossible. Too spoilt. Worst workers on the posse. All they gonna do is shoot and palaver. That's it. Non-shooting brass-shagging chilluns are a myth as far as I can tell. I would gladly pay them well if I ever encounter one.

Jefro things are different out here in the hinterlands. We do not have the luxury of big posses. Last shoot I shot we had 4 shooters TOTAL.

Har! Finding a kid to shag brass is impossible. Too spoilt. Worst workers on the posse. All they gonna do is shoot and palaver. That's it. Non-shooting brass-shagging chilluns are a myth as far as I can tell. I would gladly pay them well if I ever encounter one.

Well if you ever get up this way I got 3 out of 5 youngins who would love to shag yer brass, especially if yer payin!

If yer willing to fly them down to Texas and feed em they would probably be up for that too :lol:

No way...

I end up paying more to the brass rats than the brass is worth. Don't get me wrong, I pay the fee cause it goes to a good cause,,,, but economically speaking, loosing the brass is cheaper than paying the brass rats.

BTW, I think it is insulting to pay a brass rat a buck or two for the entire match for their efforts.

Blastmaster

I end up paying more to the brass rats than the brass is worth. Don't get me wrong, I pay the fee cause it goes to a good cause,,,, but economically speaking, loosing the brass is cheaper than paying the brass rats.

BTW, I think it is insulting to pay a brass rat a buck or two for the entire match for their efforts.

Blastmaster

I pay $5...now add that up to others that pay anywhere between $10 and $2 - the brass rats in these parts easily take home $30+.

How it works is that ALL the shooters put in and the money is divided amongst the brass rats of the day.

I don't care about the economics when supporting our SASS brass rats. To introduce them to the sport - the word of mouth when they go to school, the possible future shooteer - it's priceless...it's an investment.

I pay $5...now add that up to others that pay anywhere between $10 and $2 - the brass rats in these parts easily take home $30+.

How it works is that ALL the shooters put in and the money is divided amongst the brass rats of the day.

I don't care about the economics when supporting our SASS brass rats. To introduce them to the sport - the word of mouth when they go to school, the possible future shooteer - it's priceless...it's an investment.

I don't believe shagging brass for bucks in the heat of summer is really promoting shooting to the youngsters. It's a job for them to earn money for things they want to do. Now 'if' they were allowed to shoot a little, that might bring a smile to their face and create interest. Do you dare offer to let a minor person participate in shooting w/o their parents permission? Don't know.

If you want to promote shooting to youngsters, then volunteer to take a neighborhood child that you know the family and take them out and spend the bucks on equipment and supplies to give them an experience.

Colonel, I can sure dang betcha they ain't gonna let ya wear that contraption at a SASS match. Fine for practice tho.

Next time I shoot WB @ a SASS sanctioned match I'll have to give it a try & see. Who knows they might start requiring every entrant to use one to save time pickin up brass. Might even require the ladies to use one for safety reasons . :lol::P

I don't believe shagging brass for bucks in the heat of summer is really promoting shooting to the youngsters. It's a job for them to earn money for things they want to do. Now 'if' they were allowed to shoot a little, that might bring a smile to their face and create interest. Do you dare offer to let a minor person participate in shooting w/o their parents permission? Don't know.

If you want to promote shooting to youngsters, then volunteer to take a neighborhood child that you know the family and take them out and spend the bucks on equipment and supplies to give them an experience.

Too bad guy that you come up with assumptions - I never said I " dare offer to let a minor parents participate in shooting w/o their parents"... thats just foolery talk (not surprising though as you misread my post). And yes, anytime a youngster can be in a group of shooters, brass rattin' or just hangin' out, is always a good chance that they might want to participate some day - whether as a child with parents approval or as an adult...so believe what you want. There are MANY ways to promote our sport. You do it your way, I'll do mine, somebody else will do it their way. You seem to be the expert ....:lol:

Hi Folks,

After shooting WB and loosing oodles of .45 ammo, I'm curious if anyone has developed a brass catcher for our sport.

A pard sent me a photo a while back and I can't find it or remember who sent it.

Can anyone help by showing what they have successfully used?

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I already posted this on the WBAS wire.

PPS I have it covered at home with a tarp strung between two trees. That would not work at a match.

GGGG whizz Allie you already have one slave at home "Ammo Boy"....now you want another "Brass Catcher"....or would this new slave be for "Ammo Boy"?...If so you might want to see if "Ammo Boy" has any requirements for his slave "Brass Catcher"...like age, weight, height,....physical attributes :)

Now before I have to run for cover I know the problem at the range and it can be built with a little work and a few bucks. There is just a cupple of little things that would have to be figured out first.

Do you want it permanently attached or something that would be put up and taken down? It can be built either way.

what kind money do you have to spend on it...

Allie, we have a fellow at our club building some proto types of what you are looking for. We are going to try a few different models to see what works the best and can be made to look "cowboy" to retaine the aubvionce of our stages. After watching the price of gas skyrocket in the last while we decided to try to save some money for our shooters by returning as much brass as possible ---even if it does change the look of our stages.

Will keep you in mind when we get some perfected.

Woodie,

So far I'm trying to find out what other clubs have devised. I posted a photo of one option. However, it seemed a bit flimsy for permanent installation with our winds (and did not show attachment method) and a screen would not be very removable.

I came here for ideas. I have no idea what the budget would be. When I get some ideas, I can work on material costs. Most things at the range have been done with donated labor.

Reb,

Thanks so much for your post. I look forward to seeing your prototypes.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hmmmm - I thought Brass Catcher was an alias :D

Sure beats Lead Catcher! :o

Sure beats Lead Catcher! :o

True :lol:

The 'Lead' list is loooooooog :blink:

LEAD ACE

LEAD BANE

LEAD BENDER

LEAD BLOOD

LEAD BONE

LEAD BULLETT

LEAD BUTT MACE

LEAD CHUCKER

LEAD CULPEPPER

LEAD DANCER

LEAD DEALER

LEAD DISPENCER

LEAD DOG

LEAD DOG REDNECK

LEAD DRIBBLER

LEAD EXPRESS

LEAD EYE LIN

LEAD FEATHER

LEAD FINGER

LEAD FRIEND

...and the list continues

The problem at the range is not the brass pickers it is the way brass flies off the props ... The brass bonces off the props and goes down range and it would really slow down matches to do a "Down Range" after every shooter to pick brass not to mention some stages are side by side and you would also have to stop the posse next to you.

The problem at the range is not the brass pickers it is the way brass flies off the props ... The brass bonces off the props and goes down range and it would really slow down matches to do a "Down Range" after every shooter to pick brass not to mention some stages are side by side and you would also have to stop the posse next to you.

Yep yer right, but that only apllies to ranges that use a common firing line, which we don't. :D Doesn't take any longer than a regular match, by the time the shotgun targets are reset, the score called out, and the 1911 cleared we are ready for the next shooter. :)

Jefro :ph34r: Rlax-Enjoy

Up here lot's of folks mark their brass( I color the headstamp Green) and most folks is good about returning marked brass to the rightfull owner ,,,,,, But there's a few that think any brass they can find is theirs and are found crusin the stages at any break to get as much brass as possible in any caliber ...

Black X on .45 colt is Highland whiskers, Black X on .44-40 is Porcipine,,,,, etc...

Yes I like to get my brass back ,,,,, I mostly shoot .45 Colt when I shoot .38s ,,,,, Who cares ???????

Jabez Cowboy

The only thing that's going to work and be practical is to send the pistol to a gunsmith and have it modified so it tosses the brass into a nice pile. I can't see anyone running through a stage with some kind of contraption attached to catch brass. Those things are fine if you're target shooting and not moving.......Doc

When you're shooting firearms that by design fling spent cases far and wide, then it stands to reason you're going to lose some, period.

I shoot with a pard who takes his rounds out of a plastic ammo box before the stage and once finished, puts his empties back neatly into the same

box. Should, heaven forbid there be a single empty space in that box, he'll scour the range looking for it. And he shoots .38's!

Myself, I take what I'm handed back and throw them into a bag. Don't care if they're not all there, lifes too short to sweat the small things.

Now if you're only getting a couple of cases back per stage then perhaps the answer is not a brass catcher but maybe better brass watchers? Somebody,

usually one of the many who aint spotting targets, scoring or helping, could be looking and seeing where the cases are flying?

Just my 5 cents worth.

I know I will never get all my brass back. However, when I only got three pieces back on a stage with 15 pistol and eight rifle. I thought that was a bit extreme. The other stages had a similar return.

I am incredulous that it is so shameful to try to solicit ideas for brass catchers. I wish I could find the photo one person sent me of one.

The words that come to mind I will keep to myself.

Not for WB, but for SASS I put a lot of prep work into my brass; Trimming, primer pockets, flash holes, etc. so I also would like to see most if not all my brass back and not just an equivalent load of brass because it's the prep work I'm considering and exchanged brass doesn't have it. Likewise I know how many reloads the brass I've shot have been through. Not so with swapped brass. Allie, best of luck to you and I hope you'll be able to get your point across. It doesn't seem like too much to ask. Smithy.

Hello,

I really appreciate those of you who had suggestions and look forward to seeing photos.

Jabez, one fellow put a WC (his initials) on the side of his brass. It was easy to sort out his.

Doc, you have a good suggestion. However, when "gun boy" has a gun working smoothly, he's unlikely to be receptive to such a modification. He still works on our guns; but, with his neuropathy it is difficult and everything takes a long time. He will not let anyone else work on them either. I will mention your idea though.

NO! I was not looking for something to attach to the gun or wrist. Nor am I looking for a "butt ugly" modern contraption. :rolleyes:

Part of the problem at our range is that there are two stages on each berm. At the CA State WB Championship, we were lucky :unsure: (this year) to only have three posses. So the posses were staggered and we were given 5 minutes to go downrange and get brass after the posse was done shooting. The part I didn't like was tripping over the ropes (used to pull up targets) and falling in my face. Also, the first folks there would get into the best positions and those following couldn't see any brass as most of it tended to land next to the building.

Each stage has three shooting positions and the trend is to let the shooter select which windows to shoot his/her choice of gun. This means that at various matches with different target setups, the shooter could be shooting the 1911 out of any of the three positions.

One option I can envision is a screen (or tiny-hole mesh) contraption that is higher on one side than the other. The brass would roll to the low end near the prop where the "picker uppers" could reach it.

The photo I showed allows for pickers to reach out every window and get the brass at that level.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Some of your comments remind me of a situation at work. Most of the programmers on a project I worked on would reply to the request to design something new with, "the tool doesn't do that." :rolleyes: One of the programmers would say, "let me check into that and see it I can come up with a way to do it." I never knew her to fail. :wub:

I have such fond memories of her. When we were interviewing to hire three programmers, of the ones we hired, one talked a good game. One had long-time experience at the agency. She was the least experienced and somewhat shy. The other two were "shoo ins." I fought for her and talked the others into hiring her. The one with experience turned out to be more interested in taking personal calls (sold real estate on the side). The good talker had an explosive temper and got kicked off the project.

The moral of the story is you never know where a viable idea will come from or who will be able to execute it. Relying on experience and negative opinions are counter productive and not necessarily worth heeding.

Whew! I think I've vented sufficiently for one morning. :unsure:;)

Brass catcher?

Like this?

194233766_pU4Dg-S-1.jpg

BTW, those are 45 Colt burns. The brass flipped there during the rifle portion of a shotgun/ rifle/ handgun stage. She finished the stage before shaking out the brass. One tough Hombra.

Brass catcher?

Like this?

194233766_pU4Dg-S-1.jpg

BTW, those are 45 Colt burns. The brass flipped there during the rifle portion of a shotgun/ rifle/ handgun stage. She finished the stage before shaking out the brass. One tough Hombra.

I think Rocky mentioned that hazard earlier in this thread. ;)

Hey Miss Allie, here's the pictures of the brass catchers we use at our range when shooting the plate racks and speed pistol. You can see how it funnels all the brass beside the right knee. I know it's a liitle large for cowboy, but it could be used at tables. I'm sure you could make whatever size and style you need to with some PVC pipe and mess netting or wire. A small section could hang beside doors and windows....sumpin to think about. :huh: Good luck :)

Brass Catcher

Hey Miss Allie, here's the pictures of the brass catchers we use at our range when shooting the plate racks and speed pistol. You can see how it funnels all the brass beside the right knee. I know it's a liitle large for cowboy, but it could be used at tables. I'm sure you could make whatever size and style you need to with some PVC pipe and mess netting or wire. A small section could hang beside doors and windows....sumpin to think about. :huh: Good luck :)

Brass Catcher

Thanks Jefro,

I'm not sure how that would work for us as almost all (all at monthly matches) of our stages are store fronts.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived