SASS Wire Forum

Knee surgery

Rye Miles #13621

Mine's still holding up, Rye, but running it into the seat back in front of me during the bus wreck didn't help it none :rolleyes: It'll kick up every once in a while, but it may be due more to the low circ. problem than the actual knee problem. Glad you're starting to see improvement. Going to Tusco today wouldn't have been very good for it either, the chill and damp would've really told on it..........Buck :blush:

Buck when was the bus accident,?? I musta missed hearin about that. Did you go to Tusco?

Yea I'm plannin on going to Smoke in the woods, April 2-3, then I got to run the Wednesday shoot at Firelands that wed. Hope the knee holds out. Gettin around surprisingly well on the 5th day. I see the doc on Wed. Take care, Rye

Buck when was the bus accident,?? I musta missed hearin about that. Did you go to Tusco?

Yea I'm plannin on going to Smoke in the woods, April 2-3, then I got to run the Wednesday shoot at Firelands that wed. Hope the knee holds out. Gettin around surprisingly well on the 5th day. I see the doc on Wed. Take care, Rye

Ryes.. I am glad you are doing so well.. you be as good as when you were 17 by next week.. lol

Rye,

Good to hear you're doing much better.

Rye,

Good to hear your doing much better.

Thanks Whiskey much obliged and you too Deja. ;) Rye

Nope, didn't make it :angry:

Bus accident was during the 2007-8 school year. SUV ran a light in front of us, couldn't get stopped in time.28'000+ lbs. of bus just don't stop on a dime. popped every air bag in that SUV. Luckily, none of the kids were hurt except for one with a bump on the noggin'. My driver had a big problem with it, mentally. First time she'd been in a accident EVER. Had nine kids on board, two in wheel chairs. Once I got the kids situated, I had to calm the driver down, just fell apart( long involved story behind that).

For the knee, I sometimes use one of those neoprene braces with the springs down the sides. Helps with resisting lateral movement problems, plus keeps the knee warmer during cold spells. Only have to use it on occassions, not all the time....Buck :blush:

glad to hear thit yur doin well :lol:

cc

glad to hear thit yur doin well :lol:

cc

Thanks CC, everyday is a little better, I can actually walk without the use of a cane, kinda like Chester!:lol:

TAKE IT EASY!

I rushed mine.

Not a good thing!

TAKE IT EASY!

I rushed mine.

Not a good thing!

Okay Noz I'll listen to experience. I'm walkin around the house without a cane if I go out I will bring the cane with me. Just curious what went wrong with yours when ya rushed it? Thanks, Rye

Wut happens wen u rush et? Et swells up reel beeg, gits reel sore and pissed! :angry: An thin et lets u no how mad et is!! :wacko: Then takes several days to git over it, kinda like havin a wife.... :blush:

CC ;)

Rye , I used a cane when I was out of the house as a saftey net. actually went to the Stark County Fair at the end of the first week. definately used the cane, and sat a spell if I felt like it was getting tired/overworked. Ice and elevation after I got home. Try working a stick shift, with the stitches in( left knee) and my cane on the right side of the hump. getting into that Ranger wasn't too bad........getting out was an adventure :rolleyes::huh::blush:

Ryes, on getting well. When I was 40 I had a horse rear up when I was getting on. Since I had gone over backwards on a horse I was in no hurry to repeat my perfomance. So, I quickly jumped back on my way up, and landed with my right foot into a hole my dog had dug in my arena. I pretty much put my foot flat on my leg and it chipped a bone, tore the ligaments, and did a bit of tendon stretching. At first I thought I was okay, so I mounted the hourse my horse training partner had been riding and loped around a bit until I was about in tears from the pain. So, I stopped and found that while I could slide down off the tamer horse, I could not put weight on my ankle. I ended up crawling to the pipe railing. My partner took care of the horses and I tried to crawl my way to my front porch. Once he got up there by me and removed my boot a huge lump like a grapefruit fell out of the roper boot. I thought I had broked my ankle. So a midnight run to ER was in order. I will not go in to how long and the mess I ran into other than it involved getting a cast cut off at ER with blue toes.. lol .. but the end result was a DR gave me an air boot and told me to use it. You can move a bit in those, so I was able to move my ankle some. It burned like fire, I remember that. So, I got to go to therapy and I was told I would always have a limp as they gave me my exercises. I do not have a limp. I did the exercises at work, at home, at the table, on the john, every place I could and I have about 100% flexibility in my ankle again. So... the moral is we all heal differently, but you need to work at it it too and do what they tell you to do. I did what they said and pushed for more and my result was excellant. You will do this Ryes.. cuz you push too.. I know that by reading you posts.. you have fire under you hinny too.. lol... Hugs.. DV

Ryes, on getting well. When I was 40 I had a horse rear up when I was getting on. Since I had gone over backwards on a horse I was in no hurry to repeat my perfomance. So, I quickly jumped back on my way up, and landed with my right foot into a hole my dog had dug in my arena. I pretty much put my foot flat on my leg and it chipped a bone, tore the ligaments, and did a bit of tendon stretching. At first I thought I was okay, so I mounted the hourse my horse training partner had been riding and loped around a bit until I was about in tears from the pain. So, I stopped and found that while I could slide down off the tamer horse, I could not put weight on my ankle. I ended up crawling to the pipe railing. My partner took care of the horses and I tried to crawl my way to my front porch. Once he got up there by me and removed my boot a huge lump like a grapefruit fell out of the roper boot. I thought I had broked my ankle. So a midnight run to ER was in order. I will not go in to how long and the mess I ran into other than it involved getting a cast cut off at ER with blue toes.. lol .. but the end result was a DR gave me an air boot and told me to use it. You can move a bit in those, so I was able to move my ankle some. It burned like fire, I remember that. So, I got to go to therapy and I was told I would always have a limp as they gave me my exercises. I do not have a limp. I did the exercises at work, at home, at the table, on the john, every place I could and I have about 100% flexibility in my ankle again. So... the moral is we all heal differently, but you need to work at it it too and do what they tell you to do. I did what they said and pushed for more and my result was excellant. You will do this Ryes.. cuz you push too.. I know that by reading you posts.. you have fire under you hinny too.. lol... Hugs.. DV

Thanks Deja and BTW that was an interesting story and good advice fer sure! I've been doing the excercises twice a day and walkin with a cane outside but no cane in the house. Today it's hurtin more than yesterday, maybe it's the awful weather! 44 degrees and rain. Goin to the sawbones in about an hour. I cancelled going to a great 2 day BP shoot Apr 2-3 cause I don't wanna push it too hard. Time will tell. LOL Rye

How's the rehab goin' RM? Behaving yourself? :rolleyes:

I learned sumpin' new at the doc's yesterday. His tentative diagnosis is rotator cuff tendonitis so I go back Tuesday for a cotrisone shot. If that doesn't help, then it's likely a degenerative rotator cuff tear. What was surprising is that as one becomes an old fart, you can get a tear in the rotator cuff without an injury, but just from day to day activity. That sorta sucks! :angry:

Oh well, if I can't shoot I have no excuse not to finish the first draft of book #2.

I hope ya git fixed up and recover and keep on shootin', Rye

Well, I can tell ya, cortisone shots suck! :wacko: Damn that thing hurt! :angry:

And now I wait 24 hours to see if it does any good. ^_^

The cortizone shot didn't work for me but that's cause the torn meniscus needed to be mended. I've talked to a couple friends that had the shots and they werked fer maybe 6 mos. or so. Good luck to ya, Rye B)

Cortisone......aaaarrrgggg! Have went that route twice, both times hurt real bad!Once for plantar faceitis, and once for tendonitis in my right arm. That one hurt worse than the arm did. I swear that Doc liked to see me squirm. On top of that, I didn't see any improvement until the warm weather( ie: sun) hit.......Buck :blush:

Okay Noz I'll listen to experience. I'm walkin around the house without a cane if I go out I will bring the cane with me. Just curious what went wrong with yours when ya rushed it? Thanks, Rye

I had virtually no pain after the surgery so I laid out a day and a half or so and went to work. With in 4 days I was doing normal type weight bearing things. It went good for a week or so and then told me in no uncertain terms to get the hell off of it. It swelled, throbbed, and stabbed me when ever I did a full extension.

I laid out with a heating pad on it for a few days and it calmed down, then did it again. I went through about 3 or 4 such episodes.

I just came back from Bayou Blast and had a full shoot on it, a mile or so on the beach and a couple of 1 mile + nature trails. It stood up to that so I guess I'm cool again.

I had virtually no pain after the surgery so I laid out a day and a half or so and went to work. With in 4 days I was doing normal type weight bearing things. It went good for a week or so and then told me in no uncertain terms to get the hell off of it. It swelled, throbbed, and stabbed me when ever I did a full extension.

I laid out with a heating pad on it for a few days and it calmed down, then did it again. I went through about 3 or 4 such episodes.

I just came back from Bayou Blast and had a full shoot on it, a mile or so on the beach and a couple of 1 mile + nature trails. It stood up to that so I guess I'm cool again.

That's good to hear, glad yer holding up. I'm walkin pretty normal now no stinkin cane either! Every day is a little less pain and swelling. It's been a little over 2 weeks so I'm feelin pretty good about this whole ordeal! Rye B)

I had my lt knee scoped last October after I twisted it Elk hunting in September. I did all the PT and everything they told me to do and the knee healed great. After 6 weeks I was back taking long walks and after 8 weeks back in the gym on the treadmill. In January I slipped on some ice in front of the garage and landed on the repaired knee....OUCH, hurt like hell :blink: Seemed better after a few days.

I have really stepped up my excersize program (lost 30# since last Nov)and now do a program on the treadmill (called cardio-hill) that takes an hour. Knee still sore , so last week I went to the Orthopedist and he xrayed it and said I probably just bruised it, do other damage. When It hurts I don't excersize. It is getting much better.

Had a total knee replacement on rt knee 8 years ago. This repair healed much faster and was "a piece of cake" as I said before you had your procedure. Getting ready for my Elk hunt this fall is my main goal now. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Been a week and half since the cortisone shot, and the results were a wash. :angry: Overall soreness reduced, but the sharp pain on certain movements is unabated. Dang, even though I wasn't really surprised, I was kinda hopin' it would work. Sawbones gave me a referral to the ortho doc, but the apointment is 6 weeks away. I'm tryin' to get in sooner, since it's the right shoulder and any impact from the front sets the eyes awaterin'! :blink:

Archived