SASS Wire Forum

Didital scales

Pit Bull Tex

I have a manual RCBS scales to set my powder, I like it,but want a digital to weight them after they are loaded.I want to check them.What is a good one?

Nothing wrong with a balance beam scale. The digitals are faster, but wouldn't say they are more accurate. My first pick would be a Dillon. Any of the RCBS/Hornady/Lyman scales are probably as good but I definitely would stay away from the cheezy miniture scales. Tried a few and found their accuracy wanting.

Also get a set of check weights!

I have a PACT but I think any of the scales from a major name like Dillon, RCBS, Lyman or whatever will do. At one time I know PACT was making scales marketed under other brand names-they may still do so.

I have a Dillon scale, works great, awhile back I drop it from chest high to the concrete floor, don't ask how I did this, very clumsy of me, but it hit the floor and fell apart, well, thought I was going to buy another one for sure, put it back together, plugged it in, waited awhile and started weighing the weight that came with it, wow, I was impressed, it still worked and has worked good since then.

Now, the dillon scale only has a 1 year warranty, if you go to www.brianenos.com, he is a dillon dealer, but he has a scale that is priced right and it has a lifetime warranty, unheard of, but it does, have heard good reports about this scale, might be worth checking it out.

Your choice in what you want, can't go wrong with any of them IMHO

All for now JD Trampas

Howdy

I've been using a Lyman LE 1000 for a bunch of years now. I am happy with it, but I don't think that particular model is made any more.

However, you should know that weighing loaded rounds is not a reliable way to check how much powder is in them, or not in them. Commercial cast bullets can easily vary in weight by a few grains. That is enough to mask any variation in your powder charges.

I bought one of the cheap frankfort arsenal ones, it's ok, but it does an auto power off to save the battery which makes is a royal pain in the butt.... since every time you turn it on you have to re zero it. For that reason, I rarely use it, I use my RCBS balance beam scale to weigh powder, since I only load one load right now, it's set and I never have to mess with it unless I move it.

I'm kind of curious why you are wanting to weigh loaded rounds. With variations in case, bullet, and precise powder weights, they are going to vary some what, about the only reason I can see is if you believe that somehow one case got two bullets as a pard described here on the wire a week or so back.

Grizz

I use a Lyman 1500XP , had it for munber of years no problems

On sale $19.99.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=175512

Sure, ya get what ya pay for, but this works fine for me. I have had the older black discontinued model for years now. I use an RCBS trickler beside it to get more precise charges. As to absolute precision, I am not sure that for light charges it would be the best choice. Definitely not for max rifle loads. I find it to be consistent with the calibrating weight. If .2 to .3 grain is accurate enough for standard loading, it works fine. I seriously doubt .1 grain accuracy, but who's to say. Look at it this way, .2 grain degree of accuracy is probably a good margin of error for a balance beam and the human eye anyways.

Been using one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=713372 for a couple of years. Checked it against my beam scale, and it's just as accurate and a whole lot quicker.

Weighing completed rounds? It's a good method for checking consistency, or if you've had a powder measure malfunction and need to find the defective rounds. Once you've got a baseline established your ammunition will turn out better, and range performance will improve as well since everything will be the same shot to shot.

I got an RCBS Rangemaster 750, the 1st one was bad out of the box, but Midway sent me another and it has worked fine for a year. About $100.00 but I agree about weighing loaded rounds, with the light weight charges we use, the variations in other things would more than mask it.

I am new at this,I just got my 550 set up yesterday. I have loaded 900 rounds and every tube of primers I check the powder drop.I weight every one after I am done loading.I did find out that you need to dump the shells before you deprime.I broke my depriming pin today.When I took the shell out and dumped it it had 7 old primers in it.My first screw up ,I am sure it wont be the last.Thanks Pards

Archived