SASS Wire Forum

Off Topic Remington Bolt Action Operation

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

A friend has a 30-06 Remington bolt action rifle that was purchased new in 2001. I do not know the model but expect it to be a less expensive model. She tells me the bolt will not open to see if it is unloaded. Does anyone know if this is a safety on or off issue or could it be something else? Seems like I read about the safety locking the bolt closed on some Remington rifles. Last thing that was done to the gun was a scope was installed by a gunsmith and it has been closed every since. She wants to take it to the range for proper instruction but does not want to transport the rifle until she can make sure it is unloaded. I am trying to answer her questions via long range email. Help? I am not familiar with Remington bolt action rifles of this era. Could there be anything else keeping the bolt closed? Could the gunsmith have somehow screwed up things tapping and installing a scope? Seems like we should do whatever possible to help a new lady shooter.

Gold Canyon Kid This is just a shot but I've seen it happen before. When the scope mounts were installed some times the mounting screws can be a tad long,extend through the on a Remington 700 series rifles front or rear receiver ring. Thus putting a bind on the bolt either on the front or rear of the bolt. A part of mounting a scope should be to check for function after installing the mounts. Like I said it could be the problem or not but I've seen it more than once. Adios Sgt. Jake

Gold Canyon Kid This is just a shot but I've seen it happen before. When the scope mounts were installed some times the mounting screws can be a tad long,extend through the on a Remington 700 series rifles front or rear receiver ring. Thus putting a bind on the bolt either on the front or rear of the bolt. A part of mounting a scope should be to check for function after installing the mounts. Like I said it could be the problem or not but I've seen it more than once. Adios Sgt. Jake

Or worse. Some idgit used too much LocTite mounting the scope and it gets down into the locking lugs. :FlagAm:

Nate Their is that also,hopefully they didn't use Red LocTite. Adios Sgt. Jake

If you want to make sure it is unloaded a cleaning rod down the muzzle should give you an idea. The point of even the shortest 06 rounds is a long way from the bolt face. It is pretty easy to brake a bolt handle off a Remington - don't ask!

If you want to make sure it is unloaded a cleaning rod down the muzzle should give you an idea. The point of even the shortest 06 rounds is a long way from the bolt face. It is pretty easy to brake a bolt handle off a Remington - don't ask!

On a Remington, roughly how far does the bolt stick into the chamber area? I had planned to tell her to use a dowel rod.

Hello the camp! The bolt head is just forward of the ejection port; consider its face at the end of the receiver ring. A loaded round will put you the best part of 3" ahead of the receiver ring.

I repaired buku scopemount screwups when working for Sorotsman's Whse. My favorite was a fella with a large-cal rifle headed--the next day--for a high-$$ bear hunt in Alaska. I got it fixed for him; it had been mounted in our WPhx store. I figure Jake has hit it on the head.

Best you not be in a hurry. Remove scope and rings -- just undo clamp screws. With a dropper, drip acetone into mount screw holes and let it sit. No acetone? Use nail polish remover, or go get some. Should work loose in a couple hours. If not, I have a hammer drill and pipe wrench; I'll give 'er a go at WR.

See ya around the campfire. mm

On a Remington, roughly how far does the bolt stick into the chamber area? I had planned to tell her to use a dowel rod.

Somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2 inch from the front edge of the receiver ring. Like I said if she sticks something down the barrel and marks it then lays it along side the barrel it will be way short of the receiver ring.

GCK, Mounting screws for the scope bases might be sticking through and binding on the bolt or Locktite might have dribbled in there too. Loosen the scope mount, and B, if that doesn't work, a little heat will allow the bolt to open even if the red locktite was used. (A bic lighter always works for me. Just enough heat and won't hurt anything)

The bolt butts against the back of the barrel. If you run a cleaning rod down the barrel, the end should be somewhere's around half way across the front receiver ring. The 30-06 is pretty long so it will be obvious if there's a cartridge in there.

I had a Savage bolt gun in the shop recently that the bolt would not open. It also had a 270 round in the chamber . I poured Kroil oil down the berrel and let it set two days. Wiht a little pressure on the bolt ot came open. It looked like something tar. Probably just oil that had hardened in the chamber, locking lugs area. Just a thoughe if the scope screws don't fix it.

The first thing I would do is loosen the action mounting screw in front of the trap door at the bottom of the magazine. If that screw has been snugged to tightly, it will lock up the bolt. Had one like that last week. Had to grind a bit off the screw and then it was ok. If that doesn't solve the problem, the scope mounting screws will have to be checked as others have suggested.

Some Model 700s had 3 step safetys and they lock the bolt on the fully on stage, I have one of these guns and it is my faverorite 700 ....

It is Varnmint model in .222,,,,,, Da duce

Jabez Cowboy

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I finally gave up and had the lady bring the rifle to me. Well she said the bolt was stuck, and I assumed it meant a bolt action. She said she could not get the bolt handle to move. It was not a bolt action in the traditional sense. It was a Remington 7400 semi auto with a box magazine . Chamber was empty. Brand new never fired. I found there is a somewhat floating chamber cover that rides loose as the bolt goes back and forth-I assume it is supposed to slide loose in the action. It seems to have gotten caught somehow between the bolt and frame of the action. A harder tug on bolt handle and everything is free and the gun seems to work fine now. Just needed a bit more muscle. It was not the scope mounts, but whoever did the mounting, did not do a very good job. The mount on the gun itself is a weaver type rail bolted to the top of the action. Mounted to the rail is a set of double rings that allows one to see under the scope and use the iron sights and the upper rings holding the scope. The stock comb is way to high for me to properly see/use the iron sights but it assists the higher mounted scope. I have no clue why the lady purchased the rifle the day after 9-11-1 but assume she was worried about what was happening. Now she is bringing me some ammo and wants me to go sight in the iron sights and scope sight. She is not unfamiliar with guns as she has a couple of handguns, was an MP in the Army and a police officer for a while but many many years ago.

Glad it got sorted out. I used one a few years hunting before I owned a hunting rifle of my own. It was a real nice rifle.

I imagine there were a lot of guns bought in the later months of 2001... I know my safe got a little more crowded that year. Can't give a good reason other than I felt like I needed a modern semi auto to sit next to all my cowboy guns in the safe. Irrational? Sure, but somehow comforting in those months that were definitely lacking any sort of ease of mind.

Archived