SASS Wire Forum

cheap 1873

Grayrock, SASS #64093

Got an e-mail notification from a vendor today.

1873 45Lc 24.5" Octagon Barrel Case Colored Lever Action Rifle New

#TRI99921 $499.99

Not sure- but it may be a Chaparral.

What do you think? Don't need it now, but would have definitely considered it several months ago when I was shopping.

1873 45Lc 24.5" Octagon Barrel Case Colored Lever Action Rifle New #TRI99921 $499.99

Not sure- but it may be a Chaparral.

What do you think?

No new Uberti '73 is going to be offered at $500. If you WANT a Chappie, you could check with 'em. Otherwise, why would you bother yourself?

Good luck, GJ

At that price, the only thing your going to find is a Chaparral. And yes, you do get what you pay for. Chaparral for the most part are crap.

Coffinmaker

PS: There is no current US importer for their rifles or parts.

Grayrock,

I build competition rifles in Western Pennsylvania and I work on a LOT of rifles. The offerings from Chaparral were really crowed aloud when they were first introduced. The truth became evident rather quickly. The guns were delivered as promised except only one in five or six were truly functional. When those of us who work on cowboy guns would order parts to make them function, the replacement parts were as bad or worse than the original parts.

The breach block (bolt) was often delivered incompletely cast with a vital piece either partially cast (cartridge guide tab) or missing entirely. Ditto for the replacement parts. The guns were advertised as a copy of the original article but the only copy of an original Winchester was the firing pin assembly. The rest of the internal parts are a cheap copy of an Uberti.

The '76 when introduced, was even worse. the fit of the links was/is so bad most of the '76s broke the link pivot pins in the frame and breach block the first time fired. The fit of the links was so bad, most were unsafe to shoot the day they were manufactured.

Charles Daly (KBI) dropped handguns and went hip deep in the complete Chaparral line. They went broke (warranty) doing it.

Most of us Cowboy gun plumbers won't work on them. Not cost effective. It can and does cost the price of admission just to get one to work let alone an action job and or trying to short stroke one. The chances of getting one thats "right" are slim indeed.

Coffinmaker

Thanks all. I guess I'm glad I did not see this before I bought my Rossi 92.

Didn't quite understand your comment, But now I'm guessing that you are glad you did not dump money into a Chappie. Well, it's always good to check around before you buy something you are not familar with.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks to Dog Ears for setting me straight!

Don't understand. You asked for advice about a (probably) Chaparral rifle. You got good input. Then you toss in this final remark, as if folks who told you about the justified downsides on the Chapparral would have told you (imaginary?) bad things on a Rossi. Maybe you can tell me what I don't understand, including why you would expect advice again from this forum?

Good luck, GJ

:FlagAm: I may be incorrect, pard, but I think he meant he was glad he didn't see that DEAL on Chapparal rifles before he bought a Rossi, thus wasting precious dinero which could've been put to better use on a gun that actually functions.

Thanks, Dog Ears. Couldn't have said it better myself. Perhaps I should have been more precise in my statement. GJ, sorry to have confused you. I will try to do better for you in the future. And I hope I can still count on you fine folks to continue to offer your advice.

:FlagAm: I may be incorrect, pard, but I think he meant he was glad he didn't see that DEAL on Chapparal rifles before he bought a Rossi, thus wasting precious dinero which could've been put to better use on a gun that actually functions.

OK, I stand corrected (but I don't type very well when standing like this).

I'll fix up previous post.

Thanks for clarifying the situation. GJ

I bought a Chaparral '66 last spring (2010) and used it all summer over in place of my Marlin and Rossi '92. Works great....maybe I got that 1 in a 1000 :lol: I had a guy on my posse last September and he was using both a Chaparral '66 and a pair of Chaparral '73 revolvers and he was pleased with all of them. They all came from Marstar including mine.

Cheap is not Good and Good is not Cheap!

It hurt to give $1350.00 for a short stroked Uberti 1873. But before I bought, I asked a LOT of pards, and you DO get what you pay for. This game is not easy to do well, so why would I want to make it any harder than it has to be by having gun trouble during a stage. To me, guns are like hand tools, you can buy cheap, but in the long run, the better stuff pays for itself in both peformance and lack of frustration....

Archived