SASS Wire Forum
The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. MEANWHILE, IN THE BACK STAIRWAY Sarah Lynne McKenna gripped Jacob Keller's hand, turned her head, looked at him. "He doesn't realize we're both his woods colts, you know." "I know." "Mama suspects. I think your Mama does too." "Reckon so." "Mama implied he found a family Bible, but she stopped talking when she saw I was looking at her and listening closely." "That's where you get it." "Get what?" Jacob grinned. "Little Sis," he said quietly, for the back stairway was hushed, and the softest voice was plainly heard, "your Mama can listen to someone talking and she can just fade into the wall and not be seen!" Sarah swatted at his shoulder: "Who you calling little sis, little brother?" Jacob let it pass: they knew early that they were the get of that pale eyed lawman, even if he didn't seem to realize it; there was doubt as to Jacob's actual age, and of Sarah's, though Bonnie implied that Sarah's birthday would be found out. "Sarah, when you're with people, you have the gift of disappearing," Jacob said, his voice suddenly serious. "That's a gift and that's how to find things out, just listen and don't be noticed." "I know." Her hand tightened on his. "I'm glad you're here, Jacob." "So am I." She felt him take a deep breath, saw him turn his head and grin. "It feels good to have family." Sarah's hand tightened in his. "Yes," she agreed. "Yes, it does." Sarah's eyes drifted down to the landing, rested on a varnished wood panel. "I used to hide in there," she said softly. Jacob looked at her, looked at the several wood panels, all varnished, all identical. "The Silver Jewel wasn't ... respectable then." Jacob nodded. "Mama was ... upstairs ... and when my Daddy came in he'd get drunk and beat the working girls. If he wasn't hurting me he was ignoring me, and they ... the girls ... they would bath me and patch my dress and fix my hair and put a ribbon in it ... they said I was the only sunshine in their lives." Sarah's voice was haunted, her eyes distant and filled with ghosts. Jacob ran his arm around his half-sister's shoulders, pulled her close: she laid her head over on his shoulder, shivered. "I'm glad you're here, Jacob." "I am too." Sarah sighed. "Jacob?" "Hm?" "Angela was asking me why bad men wanted to do bad things to her Daddy." Jacob turned his head toward her a little, listening closely. "She didn't want to talk about it with her Mama so she talked with me." "Pa said it is" -- he hesitated, lifted his chin, pale eyes searching the opposite wall for the right words -- "a mark of significant trust," he quoted with a smile, looked back at Sarah -- "for a little child to confide in us." Sarah smiled -- it was a soul-deep smile, the kind that shines from within -- "Jacob," she whispered, "you sound just like him!" Jacob shrugged. "Can't imagine why." "What did you tell her?" "When she asked me why bad men wanted to do bad things to her Daddy?" Sarah took a long breath, sighed it out: she looked sadly at Jacob. "I told her that ... when you put someone in prison, they don't forget you, and their families do not forget you, and their partners do not forget you." Jacob raised an eyebrow, nodded. "What did she say?" "She looked surprised -- like the thought honestly never occurred to her -- she said 'Oh,' and that seemed to satisfy her." Jacob nodded, chewed on his bottom lip. "Jacob, what is she like? At home, as a sister?" Jacob smiled, just a little. "It's like living with a glowing sunflower," he almost whispered. "She's never still, she's always smiling, she'll run up and give me a big hug, or she'll be talking nonstop to The Bear Killer while they're walking ..." Sarah saw the memories shine inside him, and she smiled to see them. "I'm glad you have her." "Me too." Silence, then: "Jacob, what's this I hear about a man killed with an ax?" Jacob was quiet for a long moment, his jaw slid out as he considered -- just like his father! Sarah thought. "You said something about not bein' forgot when you send someone to prison." Sarah nodded, her eyes big. "I heard a fellow talkin' quiet, how he figured to backshoot Pa. "I followed him, watched him ... he tried two or three places and he settled on one, and a good place for bush whack it was." "And you killed him." "Damn right." Jacob's eyes were a shade more pale now. "He was layin' for my Pa. "I didn't want to up and shoot him -- I could have, I could've blowed the eyeballs out of his skull from behind -- Pa said he kilt men durin' the War with an ax an' one was handy. "I saw Pa comin' along and I faded back and eased attair broad ax out of its chunk and I waited. "He fetched up his rifle and didn't have it fair to shoulder when I stepped up behint where he was down on one knee, and I clove him from crown to teeth. "He never twitched. "I taken his rifle and his proud-ofs, I unsaddled his horse and took his saddle bags." "Won't they blame whoever owned the ax?" "Place is abandoned. Nobody's been there for a year. I'm surprised that ax was still stuck in the chunk." "Did you know the man?" "Only that Pa sent him off to prison an' he'd made his brags he was gonna kill that pale eyed son of a sheepherder for sendin' him away." " 'Son of a sheepherder?' " she quoted, shaking her head. "Jacob, if he's going to say that about our Papa, I'm glad you killed him!"
  3. Today
  4. I have one that came off a brand new 2019 10/22. I replaced it with the Ruger BMX trigger assembly. I'd sell it for $50 shipped. PM me if interested.
  5. Evidently Randy Crawfished on his word, & I haven't heard another word from him, so powder measure is STILL FOR SALE.
  6. Plus Fox Creek Stitcher. Dixie received her application Monday morning.
  7. Missed that detail. Left messages with both FE & MVD.
  8. Those Slix triggers are for 73s not 66s. Have they startedd making 66 triggers?
  9. Not aware that he's selling them (saw him a week ago at an RO1 class). Sent email and left voice message (probably get replies in the AM) If he doesn't sell them, I suggest buying direct from SliXprings.
  10. Actually, it will be worth the price just to watch those 'other' top 97 shooters in the side match, and Ole Widder will be a spectator... Don't be surprised if some spirited (fast) 87 and SxS shooters also put up some respectable times. Looks like Red Knee (The Oklahoma Tornado) will be missing the party this year. Sure gonna miss his show. And looking at the list of shooters, I counted no less than 6 or 7 top SG shooters that can make their favored SG sing... in the key of 'boom'. And one of those is a top shooting Cowgirl. Heck, I'm just surprised Superman ain't sent in his application yet. ..........Widder
  11. I understand that Fast Enuff may be selling straight trigger for Uberti 66. Does anyone have contact info for Fast Enuff. Can't message him through SASS website. Thanks, William Waddy
  12. So, this is just my opinion obviously and is worth only what you paid me. Let's break down the mechanics of why it doesn't work for ME. Some transitions look wonderful on paper but fail to show up on the timer. To ME, that transition depends on 2 factors, and a third factor comes into play on similar transitional movements. The first is the direction and how far it is between the pistol position and the shotgun position. The second is the difference in time between your strong to weak side pistol transition and your weak to strong side pistol transition. The third factor that comes into play on similar transitions is whether it takes you longer to shoulder your shotgun or grab 2 shells and get them into position(I'll explain that one in a minute). 1st main factor- direction and distance. When I fire the last shot of my last revolver I want to MOVE! If I'm moving one or two steps, counting my reach I am picking up my rifle as my left pistol is finishing being holstered. This accomplishes a couple things that going weak side first does not. One is it gets my shotgun shouldered quicker because I'm not moving my right hand all the way from my holster to the rifle to pick it up and two is it puts my weak hand that I grab my shells with at my holster, which is within an 8" circle of my shells which in turn creates a straight line from holster to shells to shotgun.(I like my transitional hand movements to be within a 12" max circle at all times). If someone hasn't moved one step by the time they holster, they're moving too slow or are holstering before they move. A by-product benefit of strong side P first on long movement (assuming right handed and moving to the right) is it greatly diminishes the chance of breaking the 170 either actual or perceived by the over-zealous spotter because you will be holstering your left pistol while moving to the right. Holstering your right pistol while moving to your right is chancy. 2nd main factor-Difference in strong to weak P transition vs weak to strong side P transition. While making less of a difference, it does still come into the equation. My right hand to left hand transition on a good day is half a second. My left to right transition is more like a second and I run the risk of pulling too quick. That can be remedied by more practice. 3rd main factor for similar transitions. Grab shells vs shoulder shotgun. So the accepted fact for the duelist category is we should be more able to do 2 things at once. I take that a step further and decide which 2 things I should be doing simultaneously. Case in point, Rifle to Shotgun transition on a stand and deliver stage. Should the duelist lay the rifle down with the left hand or the right hand? That my friend depends on the duelist. Specifically whether it takes them longer to draw 2 shells or shoulder the shotgun. Whichever takes the longest time should be done simultaneously while the rifle is being discarded. If it takes them longer to get a good grab on their two shells with the left hand, the rifle should be discarded with the right hand(again discarded within that 12" circle of hand movement to pick up the shotgun). If it takes them longer to pick up the shotgun, they should discard the rifle left handed(again 12" circle of the shells to grab although it's close on this one) while they're picking the shotgun up. Make sense? You have 3 things to do. The 2 that overlap needs to include the one item that takes the longest time. I'm by no means saying duelists shouldn't be able to draw the weak side first, I'm just saying your scenario doesn't work for ME. It definitely does for others. Like Randy and Widder said. Go fast! I sure didn't mean to type this much but I can talk transitions all day, so sorry about that.
  13. I have one early metal group. Has had auto bolt release and extended mag release added. Complete and functional. Asking $75.00 shipped. PM if interested.
  14. As the title says. Looking for a couple factory 10/22 trigger assemblies. Thanks in advance!
  15. That took me the longest time to figure out what was going on.
  16. My signature, on a couple of other boards. Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with catsup - George of Lod, Year of Our Lord 297
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.