SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Marlin

I handled the ruger Marlin at EOT    It is spot on. It is stiff, of course being a new gun.   They advised me to visit,  (brain fart. Can’t remember his name) the German gunsmith and handle the one that he had slicked up.   Again, spot on.   Smooth!!   

• Thanks 1

I handled a 357 model in Cabool, Missouri this morning.  Looked good. I wasn't interested in buying it so I didn't lever the action. $1,200 on it. But the loading gate looked scuffed like it had been loaded. Didn't ask if was used. 

• Like 1

@Warden Callaway The loading gates all show that. I am presuming that is from being loaded and test fired at the factory.

ive been encouraged by the few reports so far on these all have been positive , im not in the market as i have a JM version but for the future of our sport id like to think there were more options out there , besides the marlin name needs to have its prestige preserved , they were every bit as important as winchester and remington in my mind 

I have seen several of the new Ruger Marlins at the local Scheels, and they are exceptionally well made rifles. Their fit and finish is extremely well done. The 336 model didn’t last long but the two 44s they have even when offered at an $899 sale price did not sell. I’m hoping they do a 41 magnum in these.

The ones that I have seen and handled are quality rifles.  I will get one eventually in .357 just because ... my dream would be in .41 mag., but probably not a reality.

I have two of the Ruger Marlins.  One is a 336 for hunting.   The other is a 1894 classic I plan to use in SASS.  The fit and finish on both is excellent.  

The 336 went to a smith in Montana that works hunting rifles.  He did an action and trigger job on the rifle.  He also usually smooths the bore a bit, hand lapping, to make Marlins shoot lead bullets better.  He sent my money back for the bore saying he wouldn’t feel right about charging me for the little bit of work he did on the bore.  

He had high praise for the rifle.  I have been working up hunting loads for this rifle and it is the most accurate Marlin I have ever owned.  Being 57, an avid hunter and a big fan of the 336 for woods hunting, I have owned a few Marlins.  I have had some good and some not so good.   This 336 is the best I have ever had my hands on.  

the 1894 is on its way to Longhunter in Texas to be Sassorized.  For the short time I handled it and put a bore scope in it I found it to be of the same quality that the 336 was.  

I know that Ruger took two years to put out the first rifle after they had bought Marlin.  They were aware of the problems Remington had and the damage that did to Marlin’s reputation.   They are not going to take chances and put out junk.   They have built in a lot of quality control.   I called them about the marks on my loading gate and they explained they shoot the guns before they leave the factory.  The nice rep said I could send it back if I wanted.   I said no worries. My 357 shot two boxes of 38’s really well and I am not giving it back.  I am sure it will only improve after Longhunter does his magic.  

there are four Marlins in my gun safe.  One is a pretty good JM that I had to got through three different rifles over the years to find.  One is a later years Remington made 45-70 that my smith was able to make into a pretty good rifle.  My Two Ruger made Marlins are the best of the bunch.  

I know people are bitching about the 1200 dollar msrp of the new rifles but I have had good JM’s and bad JM’s and they are going for 1500.   I paid a little under a grand for my new Marlin and I think it’s one of the best Marlins I have ever owned. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6