SASS Wire Forum

Which Gunsmiths are repairing Uberti 66/73 bolt tabs?

Captain Clark

I’m looking for suggestions from cowpersons that have had their bolt tabs repaired or replaced. I thought there was a pinned post on the topic but I haven’t had any success finding it. Thanks for your input in advance… :)

CC 89893

I had 3Cut repair one for me.  The problem is, the broken tab is probably just the symptom and not the cure.  Chances are your rifle is out of time, which causes the cartridge to come up early and broke off the bolt tab.  The out of time is often the result of shooting a round out of battery or forcing a stuck round, thus bending something important inside.  

I would recommend sending the whole rifle to the gunsmith so they can fix the timing after they repair the bolt.  

• Like 3

Lassiter has done a couple for me.  

I'd bet that Ken Griner - El Mulo Vaquero could do it as well.   He's in Farmington of course.

And, Colonel Lou in El Paso. I'd also bet.

And calling Longhunter -  Jim Finch might get his attention to this repair.

good luck, GJ

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I would recommend sending the whole rifle to the gunsmith so they can fix the timing after they repair the bolt.  

Appreciate the advice. This is just a tab that’s worn dang near completely off. The timing is spot on considering it’s run trouble free for about a decade of multiple monthlies, EOTs, practices, and a bushel of annuals across several states!  Best guess is something in excess of 20000+ rounds! Yes it’s definitely getting some needed TLC, considering the round count! :)

Edited by Captain Clark
Grammar, spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lassiter did couple for me also. great to deal with.

Might add that Shotgun Boogie can also take care of this.

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Appreciate the advice. This is just a tab that’s worn dang near completely off. The timing is spot on considering it’s run trouble free for about a decade of multiple monthlies, EOTs, practices, and a bushel of annuals across several states!  Best guess is something in excess of 20000+ rounds! Yes it’s definitely getting some needed TLC, considering the round count! :)

3 Cut repaired two for me not long ago he did a great job and he always answered my calls when I called him! And because you break a tab doesn't mean your timings off !!!!!!!!! Von Dutch

• Like 1

I got mine repaired and it now resides in my spare parts box.  I had a new bolt assembly (with a replaceable bottom tab) installed by my cowboy gunsmith.  The new bolt assembly is available from VTI, Taylors, or Cimarron.

When I was repairing them, I fitted the Uberti replaceable tab to them so the shooter could just by a new tab from Uberti if they broke again. I also added a spring so they had a little  bit of give.image.thumb.png.e5fe1c7ad87a2f70f060302acc8dc231.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2