SASS Wire Forum

Holster Making ~ where to find....

"Building" some holsters, including a set for a sister.  Pondering decorating with turquoise; Tandy has phony "dome rivet" spots, but wondering about perhaps a single large (real?) mounted cabochon on each holster's "strap."  

Might anyone have alternate suggestions on where to find such?  :huh:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Building" some holsters, including a set for a sister.  Pondering decorating with turquoise; Tandy has phony "dome rivet" spots, but wondering about perhaps a single large (real?) mounted cabochon on each holster's "strap."  

Might anyone have alternate suggestions on where to find such?  :huh:

Amazon or eBay?

Sometimes just doing a search for what you're looking for and looking at the "image" results works, I like looking at the pictures :)

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=237b9e3607b773e7&sxsrf=ACQVn09YwGq0npJIKVpnox5Ba4hg44ppIA:1706711460104&q=mounted+cabochon&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiDx8DS64eEAxViLzQIHd3aAWcQ0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=1493&bih=940&dpr=1

Edited by VinnieBoomBah

I am working on a knife sheath that is dark brown. At Tandy Leather, I bought some punches and turquoise leather lacing and artificial sinew. Tandy leather has LOTS of stuff. Fortunately a store is just a few minutes from me.

Horace

My wife makes beaded jewelry.  She orders a lot of supplies from Fire Mountain Gems:

https://www.firemountaingems.com/

Search that website for turquoise.

She recommends visiting a bead store near you.  They may have everything you need in stock.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Like 1

I don't have a Tandy nearby and have in the past found them a bit expensive.

I use a website called the leather guy and get it shipped. Great sales on sides shoulders and scraps.

Screenshot_20240131_115015_Email.thumb.jpg.bbc95ec5d964eec43e71572875614c6b.jpg

If you go the rivet route, make sure you test them on a piece of scrap.

You will want to make sure it will secure to the leather weight in question.

I have bought Dome rivets off the shelf a Tandy and the ones I bought will not even secure to my thinnest leather 5/6oz.

• Like 2