SASS Wire Forum

44mag--44/40 Convertible Ruger Vaquero Bisley

Deacon Doug

I saw on the Ruger Forum some 44/40 to 44Mag convertibles- both Super Blackhawk and Vaqueros. There were several companies selling cylinders, including Ruger, but 

my impression from the discussion was a 44Special gun that they used 44/40 cylinders. Anybody have, or used or attempted a conversion like I'm describing ?

Thanks for your advice,

Deacon Doug

Not quite the same but .

I had a Colt 3rd Gen  44 special with a 44/40 cylinder. 

She was a fun gun to play with .

11 hours ago, Deacon Doug said:

I saw on the Ruger Forum some 44/40 to 44Mag convertibles- both Super Blackhawk and Vaqueros. There were several companies selling cylinders, including Ruger, but 

my impression from the discussion was a 44Special gun that they used 44/40 cylinders. Anybody have, or used or attempted a conversion like I'm describing ?

Thanks for your advice,

Deacon Doug

Should be Super Blackhawk and Old Model Vaquero. The Old Model has a larger frame, I believe, as compared to the New Model 

I have the Uberti Buckhorn 44 Mag revolver with a 44-40 conversion cylinder.
As usual, only 44 Mag/44 Special for the same cylinder. The 44-40 is a separate cylinder.

If you order a cylinder for it, either-or, you will have "fit-it", or get it "fitted", more than likely.

44 Mag revolver with 44-40 cylinder, loaded with custom HP loads.

15780855_666354116878508_7054791090507009468_n.jpg.78c98bc4700acc7670c418ca03f9dc92.jpg

Edited by Savvy Jack
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input. My real question is- I have Vaquero Bisley's in 44 MAG and would like to be able to also shoot 44/40. Any help along those lines?

DD

Presuming your .44 Mangle-em Bisley is an old model Vaqueo, you can find a .357 Magnum cylinder and have it rechambered to .44-40. A .44 Magnum cylinder could also be rechambered to .44-40 as the base diameter of the .44-40 is larger than the .44 Magnum. A number of years ago, when I was having problems with the original .44-40 cylinder's chambers (finally replaced by Ruger, although with the .425" throats...which I keep, and use hardcast .430" bullets), I found a Super Magnum .44 Magnum cylinder which I had fitted to the gun. Later, when SASS went to 2 sixgun events, I bought a .44 Magnum OM Vaquero, and luckily found a .44-40 cylinder with the tight throats that I had fitted to the .44 Magnum gun. As a result, I have a pair of convertibles. You will most likely have to have the alternate cylinders fitted and timed to the gun. Probably needs to be done by a 'smith who knows his/her business. Best of luck with the project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a Ruger 44-40 Vaquero. When I got it I was shooting a Super Blackhawk 44 mag that I had found a fluted cylinder for in a basket of parts I bought on ebay. The fluted 44mag cylinder dropped right in and worked perfectly in the SBH and then in the Vaquero. New Vaqueros are a medium frame and the Vaquero/Super Blackhwk cylinders do not fit. They are too long.  To get a fluted cylinder from Ruger is impossible. Using a 357 SBH is the only route although there is an after market company that makes unfluted cylinders for $200. I actually have my 44-40 convertable up for trade in the classifieds. If you have a trade it might be cheaper than trying to get a cylinder made. Keep the gun you like and the cylinder, then sell the extra gun. Doesn't make much sense but we do a lot of stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense to get our 'perfect' set-up for CASS!

Doc, 

What is the contact for the company that sells cylinders? If I can just get 44-40 cylinders to put into my OM Vaquero Bisleys that might be the simplest and cheapest way to go.

DD

11 hours ago, Deacon Doug said:

Doc, 

What is the contact for the company that sells cylinders? If I can just get 44-40 cylinders to put into my OM Vaquero Bisleys that might be the simplest and cheapest way to go.

DD

However you obtain a 44-40 cylinder, just make sure it is cut properly to utilize .429/.430 bullets.

Here is an old link to a 2014 topic about the OMV 44-40 and 44 Mag cylinder.

https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/my-blackhawk-44-44-40-convertible.199186/#post-1993822

Edited by Savvy Jack
  • Like 1

I currently have a pair of USFA's that are .44 spcl but also have a set of 44-40 conversion cylinders they are quite a handful to shoot with a full case of BP with the 44-40 cylinders...lots of fun and smoke. But very sweet to shoot with 44 Russians also loaded with bp.One thing to check when you do get the new cylinders check the ones that are in the guns before you go to  a match and what ammo you brought. I learned that lesson the hard way...

Sgt H

On 1/21/2024 at 6:29 PM, Deacon Doug said:

Doc, 

DD

Sorry. Just saw your question.

Borchardt rifles at rugercyl.com. I did not use them but I think they are legit. I did a search for 'ruger 44-40 cylinder' to find them. I hope that helps.

• Like 1

PLUS ONE FOR Savvy Jack.

The current industry standard for .44 Barrels is .429.   Ruger is famous or infamous for undersized Cylinder Throats.  Both sets of cylinders should have the throats reamed to a correct 429/430.  It is not uncommon to see Ruger cylinders with throats down to .425.

On 1/23/2024 at 1:52 PM, Doc Moses said:

Sorry. Just saw your question.

Borchardt rifles at rugercyl.com. I did not use them but I think they are legit. I did a search for 'ruger 44-40 cylinder' to find them. I hope that helps.

Myself and at least one other member here were unable to get 44-40 cylinders from them that worked. I sent the cylinder back and forth to them for over a year and they could not size it to function in two different 44 mag Vaqueros. I even took the gamble sending them my original 44 mag cylinder figuring that with it in hand they could duplicate the measurements. They were nice guys but unable to deliver.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Myself and at least one other member here were unable to get 44-40 cylinders from them that worked. I sent the cylinder back and forth to them for over a year and they could not size it to function in two different 44 mag Vaqueros. I even took the gamble sending them my original 44 mag cylinder figuring that with it in hand they could duplicate the measurements. They were nice guys but unable to deliver.

Deacon Doug I would heed this advice. It comes from an actual user.

• Like 1