SASS Wire Forum

Cale Yarborough Passes at Age 84

Cypress Sun

Retired NASCAR driver Cale (Caleb) Yarborough has passed away at the age of 84. He was a driver in NASCAR from 1957 to 1988. During that period of time, he racked up 83 wins, including four Daytona 500's, three consecutive NASCAR Championships, a ton of top 10's and many pole positions.

He was a short, fireplug of a man who was known for being able to wrestle an ill handling car into submission. He is also remembered for the infamous fight with Bobby Allison at the end of the 1979 Daytona 500 after crashing with Donnie Allison while leading the 500 on the last lap.

I enjoyed watching him race throughout the years. Thanks for the many exciting races and racing moves.

RIP Mr. Yarborough

Back in the days when NASCAR was a "bunch of good old boys", and Richard Petty was burning up the tracks, you had the fight between Cale and the Allison's at the 79 Daytona 500 brought NASCAR into the living rooms of America.   

How much better than you had President Ronald Reagan on the phone congratulating Richard Petty on his 200th win.

And God loving, tax paying, law abiding, American citizens still love NASCAR!!!

A tough little guy who drove bigger than most!!

Cale, and a hand full of other NASCAR heroes brought many of us together around the radio and TV back in their 'hay day'.

On Fridays, during my high school days, NASCAR was the major topic of conversation on Fridays and Mondays (after the Sunday race).

Thanks for the memories, Cale.

RIP.   You were loved and admired by many.

..........Widder

P.S. - I was there, sitting in turn 4 at Daytona, when Petty won his 200th.   And guess who was neck and neck with Petty coming

around turn 4 and entering the tri-oval...................... Cale.

And if I remember correctly, that was next to the last lap...which finished under a caution flag.

Archived