SASS Wire Forum

Starting fluid

Alpo

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Keep a good hold on the rag to prevent the engine from sucking it into the intake or you’ll be into an extensive teardown!

I remember somebody telling me - and it could very well have been my brother-in-law who lied like a rug - about having a diesel truck - a semi - that for some reason was running away. It wouldn't stop and this was a bad thing, and he had one of them red mechanic shop rags in his pocket and he threw it in the intake. Said the engine needed rebuilt but at least it stopped the truck.

If I'm writing this down I'm thinking this sounds more and more like one of his tall tales.

Some of the old diesel engines were notorious for running away, especially when they were worn and had oil consumption issues.

If you could cut off the air supply, it would shut them down safely.  I remember my dad threw a piece of plywood over the intake on a runaway once and it stalled.  He told me about using his shirt to kill a runaway, back when he was just out of the service after WWII.  That one bent a couple of connecting rods according to him.

I guess that’d be better than crashing a truck or running a dozer off in a pit or something.

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Most of those were dealer installed, (usually aftermarket) and came with warning decals stating that they were NOT to be used when the glow plugs were activated.

I have seen a few that were factory installed. They came with the same warning.

It is in the factory manual ( no warning)

I use it mostly on mowers and to fix flats. 

I really try not to use too much on the tires...not sure what too much is...?

19 minutes ago, Cowboy Small said:

I use it mostly on mowers and to fix flats. 

I really try not to use too much on the tires...not sure what too much is...?

Too much is when it blows the tractor tire apart and sends the mechanic to the hospital.  Then the hospital can't say if he'll live.  If he does live, he might be a blind amputee. 

Spraying a trail from the tire gets your lighting arm further away if the tire does blow.

On 12/10/2023 at 7:40 AM, Texas Joker said:

@J.D. Daily your combustion Temps seem awfully low. 

Flash point isn't the self ignition temperature.  It is the temperature that enough liquid changes into gas & the vapor volume is great enough to create a combustible gas mixture in the area above the liquid.

Archived