SASS Wire Forum

Why 350 legend?

Trigger Mike

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I was worried about my daughters .243 being too little. Uh, no. Heart and lungs turn to jelly. I put it right up there with my .270 inside of 300 yards. Her deer DIE.

The .243 is a GREAT deer cartridge!  

Ranges rarely get long in the Midwest so the 300 Win Mag and 06 are just not necessary.  They are very useful in the Great Plains and Mountain states, however. 

1 hour ago, Shawnee Hills said:

The .243 is a GREAT deer cartridge!  

Ranges rarely get long in the Midwest so the 300 Win Mag and 06 are just not necessary.  They are very useful in the Great Plains and Mountain states, however. 

.300 Win Mag. I just shake my head when people around here and SW PA tell me that’s their round of choice for whitetail deer. 
My nephew’s wife was telling me how she loved the .300 Win. Mag. and how she got a deer with it that took 2 steps and fell. I asked “how far was the shot?”

”Oh, maybe 60 yards.” :blink:

Gimme a break!

A guy I work with got a single shot rifle in 350 Legend, put a Leupold scope on it and has taken 2 deer this year with it. He loves it and says it is his new deer rifle from here on out. For shorter ranges it has a lot going for it.

One thing I do find interesting is here in WV there aren’t many restrictions on the type of ammo used for deer hunting but the .350

Legend has a following here. I have met a few people that like it and guns that fire the .350 Legend sell very well. 
It could be that it’s something new and the popularity will wane. Who knows, but for now it’s popular. 
The .360 Buckhammer doesn’t seem to be as popular, from what I see. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

One thing I do find interesting is here in WV there aren’t many restrictions on the type of ammo used for deer hunting but the .350

Legend has a following here. I have met a few people that like it and guns that fire the .350 Legend sell very well. 
It could be that it’s something new and the popularity will wane. Who knows, but for now it’s popular. 
The .360 Buckhammer doesn’t seem to be as popular, from what I see. 

The 350 legend has been out for several years and the 360 legend was announced at shot show this year.  Rifles only started shipping this summer.  400 legend doesn’t even have rifles out yet although there is some ammo.  

Think I'll wait for the BFR to be chambered in 360 Buckhammer then pick up a new revolver. Somethin' different, ya know.

Or maybe bypass all them novelty calibers and get the BFR in .444 Marlin. Now, THAT'S a Legendary Buckhammer!

16 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

The 350 legend has been out for several years and the 360 legend was announced at shot show this year.  Rifles only started shipping this summer.  400 legend doesn’t even have rifles out yet although there is some ammo.  

At my LGS there are 2 - 360 Buckhammer rifles. Both are Henry’s. They have been sitting for a long time. Maybe 2-3 months… or more. 350 Legend rifles move in this store. They sell every one they get. 

When did they come out with the “360 Legend”? ;)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

When did they come out with the “360 Legend”? ;)

Winchester came out with the 350 Legend in 2019.  This year Winchester came out with the 400 Legend which is a straight wall cartridge based on the 6.8SPC case. It is a true 300 yard cartridge with 25% more muzzle energy than a 30-30.  Just for grins I will build an AR upper when FAXON has 400 Legend barrels in their catalog.  I already have a stripped upper, 6.8SPB bolt, 13" hand PIC rail hand guard, charging handle & dust cover.  I will buy a sale bargain 223/556 BCG when I see an offer I can't refuse.  I'll buy an adjustable gas block when I buy the barrel to match the GB ID with the barrel dia.  Buy that time I'll have my .46 suppressor.  I haven't decided to use direct thread or quick change mount for the 350 & 400 legend uppers.

2 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

Winchester came out with the 350 Legend in 2019.  This year Winchester came out with the 400 Legend which is a straight wall cartridge based on the 6.8SPC case. It is a true 300 yard cartridge with 25% more muzzle energy than a 30-30.  Just for grins I will build an AR upper when FAXON has 400 Legend barrels in their catalog.  I already have a stripped upper, 6.8SPB bolt, 13" hand PIC rail hand guard, charging handle & dust cover.  I will buy a sale bargain 223/556 BCG when I see an offer I can't refuse.  I'll buy an adjustable gas block when I buy the barrel to match the GB ID with the barrel dia.

That sounds like a fun gun in the making. Please keep us up to date on how it shoots. :)

42 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

I will buy a sale bargain 223/556 BCG when I see an offer I can't refuse. 

I was curious about the 400 Legend case head dimensions compared to the 5.56 / .223 dimensions.

Will a .223 BCG works with the 400 Legend?

IMG_4432.thumb.jpeg.05aa931dea7c6f29c341d7db1eeaa8cf.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Look on the used gun forums and you'll see a lot of .300 Win Mags for sale. Many that have less than a box of shells shot through them.

Wonder why? :D

I fired a 6 pound rifle in .300 Mag once…Once!

Holy Cow was that kick in the…shoulder. I literally thought someone must have hit me with ball bat.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:02 PM, Pat Riot said:

I was curious about the 400 Legend case head dimensions compared to the 5.56 / .223 dimensions.

Will a .223 BCG works with the 400 Legend?

IMG_4432.thumb.jpeg.05aa931dea7c6f29c341d7db1eeaa8cf.jpeg

An AR-15 upper with 400 Legend barrel a bolt carrier must have a 6.8 SPC bolt installed.

" The rim diameter is identical to that of the 6.8 Remington SPC, and the maximum overall length is 2.26″ which means the 400 Legend can be used in AR-15 pattern firearms. Initially, there will be only one Winchester Power-Point load available that pushes a 215-grain bullet to a muzzle velocity of 2250 fps which results in a muzzle energy of 2416 ft-lbs." (TheFirearmsBlog.com)

Muzzle energy is equivalent to 450 Bushmaster with 20% less recoil.

Out to 300 yards the energies are nearly identical. (215 grain vs. 260 grain bullets)  Wind drift for 400 Legend is 20% less. 

25% more energy than 350 legend.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

An AR-15 upper with 400 Legend barrel a bolt carrier must have a 6.8 SPC bolt installed.

" The rim diameter is identical to that of the 6.8 Remington SPC, and the maximum overall length is 2.26″ which means the 400 Legend can be used in AR-15 pattern firearms. Initially, there will be only one Winchester Power-Point load available that pushes a 215-grain bullet to a muzzle velocity of 2250 fps which results in a muzzle energy of 2416 ft-lbs." (TheFirearmsBlog.com)

Muzzle energy is equivalent to 450 Bushmaster with 20% less recoil.

Out to 300 yards the energies are nearly identical. (215 grain vs. 260 grain bullets)  Wind drift for 400 Legend is 20% less. 

25% more energy than 350 legend.

Thank you for that explanation. I completely forgot one could change the bolt head. 
I’ve been reading about this 400 Legend. It looks like a very interesting cartridge. 

Archived