SASS Wire Forum

Green leather?

Jaan

You may not remember Tupelo Flash, but he used to be the host of Cowboys TV many years ago. He had me build him a gun cart and he wanted green leather seats. Double Diamond, the leatherworker that has done nearly every gun cart seat that I’ve ever built, found some very nice looking green leather. He got the seats done and I installed them and the cart looked great. After Tupelo used it for a few matches and it was out in the sun awhile the green leather took on a really ugly brown color. Well he found some southwest style woven fabric and Double Diamond reupholstered the seats with that. I guess what I’m saying is make sure whatever leather that you select is able to maintain it’s color long term.

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You can find quite a few different vat dyed green leathers on line but most of them will be light weight <4oz. You will also have a very hard time stamping or tooling any vat dyed leather. A good veg tanned leather will tool/stamp well, take the shape of the holster/gun and accept dye that will be permanent. I have used a lot of Fiebings green dye mixed with other colors to get the exact color I want, I use a hypodermic needle to measure exact amounts of stains as I mix them then keep squares of leather with the stain on one side and the mixture written on the back. Green holsters look great as well as green hatbands. You may also want to try antique gold guilding wax as a highlight (try it on scrap first it’s tricky stuff to work with)

• Thanks 1

You could add a panel to the front of the holsters to add an insert that isn't leather.  I've seen some nice vinyl that comes in different bright colors and textures.  You might also find a nice concho to put in the center with green turquoise or a fake emerald. 

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

You may not remember Tupelo Flash, but he used to be the host of Cowboys TV many years ago. He had me build him a gun cart and he wanted green leather seats. Double Diamond, the leatherworker that has done nearly every gun cart seat that I’ve ever built, found some very nice looking green leather. He got the seats done and I installed them and the cart looked great. After Tupelo used it for a few matches and it was out in the sun awhile the green leather took on a really ugly brown color. Well he found some southwest style woven fabric and Double Diamond reupholstered the seats with that. I guess what I’m saying is make sure whatever leather that you select is able to maintain it’s color long term.

i i i used to be the king of Rock and Roll .

Now I'm just Tupelo  ! 

Get in touch with Mernickle Leather they can help you.

On 11/16/2023 at 9:00 AM, Presidio said:

Oh I'm very familiar with that dye, it's a really nice looking green.  I made my friend a journal case and I liked it so much I used the dye to make a guitar body!

On 11/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, Yul Lose said:

>snip< After Tupelo used it for a few matches and it was out in the sun awhile the green leather took on a really ugly brown color. Well he found some southwest style woven fabric and Double Diamond reupholstered the seats with that. I guess what I’m saying is make sure whatever leather that you select is able to maintain it’s color long term.

Great advice!  I hadn't though of that.  I'll test dye some leather and leave it out on the sun a while and see what happens.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:00 PM, twelve mile REB said:

Get in touch with Mernickle Leather they can help you.

They do spectacular work...but I like to make my own holsters...

20231003_174732.jpg

20231003_174641.jpg

20211118_204129~2.jpg

20211118_204029.jpg

20200902_170411 (1).jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

What ever happened to Tupelo Flash , Anyone know ?