SASS Wire Forum

US Navy Mess

Subdeacon Joe

Lady across the street's son was a cook in the Navy (he ended up on the staff at Camp David).

He ended up going to Sub school and was dragooned into being a cook on a boomer on his first deployment by the simple expediency of being the new guy with a rating that they had an excess of but the mess was short staffed.  ("Thank you for volunteering to be a Cook, Seaman,"  "But, Master Chief, I don't know how to cook and I was trained as a sonar tech,".  You guys know the rest.)

He learned on the job- which bit the crew in the butt by the end of the deployment since he almost ran out of certain foods and ingredients.

Gotta love Navy crockery~!  Cutest dang li'l cup... holds two ounces.  ^_^

For Navy Espresso~?  :rolleyes:

Rod-NavyCup1.jpg.ec5da4eaa7a58ec0f22be6c96b2d7fca.jpg                       Rod-NavyCup2.thumb.jpg.e4a07ea01308a0bd9e977da75546fc07.jpg

17 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Rod-NavyCup1.jpg.ec5da4eaa7a58ec0f22be6c96b2d7fca.jpg                       Rod-NavyCup2.thumb.jpg.e4a07ea01308a0bd9e977da75546fc07.jpg

I don't know if I'd trust that old fart with your fancy tea cup, Hardpan.

He looks a mite sketchy to me.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I don't know if I'd trust that old fart with your fancy tea cup, Hardpan.

He looks a mite sketchy to me.:rolleyes:

I suspects you're right... 'specially with that rascal wearing a Civil War era Midshipman's Wheel Cap pattern hat atop that pointy haid.  :)

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Measure it again, looks like 5 or 6 ounces.   Two ounces is just a bit over one shot glass.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Measure it again, looks like 5 or 6 ounces.   Two ounces is just a bit over one shot glass.

Re-measured.  Reckon you can get almost four ounces in it - a Naval Demitasse?   :rolleyes:

Careful, don't spill!  ^_^

image.png.52b0f3b7bf9c2fd73ccc0b2507c402ed.png         image.png.3d2ebf31fe123b2850b2150261c919e4.png

10 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Re-measured.  Reckon you can get almost four ounces in it - a Naval Demitasse?   :rolleyes:

Careful, don't spill!  ^_^

image.png.52b0f3b7bf9c2fd73ccc0b2507c402ed.png         image.png.3d2ebf31fe123b2850b2150261c919e4.png

Isn't, or wasn't, a standard dinner table coffee cup 5 oz?   I sort of recall reading that about 50 years ago.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Isn't, or wasn't, a standard dinner table coffee cup 5 oz?   I sort of recall reading that about 50 years ago.

I seem to recall that a standard coffee cup is something like six or seven ounces; this one is significantly smaller.

For perspective, the coffee cup on the right is a "standard" dinner-table size; it holds about seven ounces.  The mug on the left has a capacity of twelve ounces.  And in the middle is my li'l "demitasse" Navy cup.  

It'd make a nice rum vessel....  :)

Wish I had me some Pusser's~!!  :lol:

Edit:  Take a peek at this one:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/161870090/us-navy-3pc-6oz-coffee-set-w-fouled

image.png.4508d9e5588a744cb093a81712dcdfc0.png

On my ship we often complimented the cooks on how many variations of dishes they cook make with canned roast beef. As the days of the cruise grew in number so did the compliments…I mean, complaints.

There were 2 reefers on my ship. Both were the size of large shipping containers, but a bit longer. More like 53’ semi trailers.  The port side unit died and could only be changed out by opening up the side of the ship to get it out. Not sure why it was built the way it was.

Anyway, this meant that we lost half our cold storage so the port side unit with filled with dry and canned goods. Most of those canned goods were 10# cans of sliced roast beef.

At sea we ate roast beef everyday. The longer we went the more meals we had with roast beef. There was darn near a riot on the mess decks one day when after about 10 days straight of roast beef three meals a day got on people’s nerves. Growing up poor I was just happy to have meat 3 times a day, but it was getting old.  
The Senior Chief in charge of the mess deck fixed the problem. No meat of any kind for breakfast, lunch or dinner. :lol:
After a couple days of that the complaints about roast beef diminished. ;)

I've read a number of books and the standard of living during WWII of the American sailor was far better than their British counterpart*.

Some more on the subject of feeding sailors (and the website as a whole looks like a giant time suck):

https://www.navalgazing.net/Naval-Rations-Part-1

https://www.navalgazing.net/Naval-Rations-Part-2

https://www.navalgazing.net/Naval-Rations-Part-3

*The very short version is that the British shipbuilders were far more conservative and their shipyards less advanced than their American equivalent.  As an example, American ships were allocated less engineering space and weight due to newer and more efficient equipment.  That weight & space could be used for other things including better messing and cooking facilities.

Most of the time how sailors eat is a direct reflection on the quality and mind set of the mess cooks. Bad cooks = bad food = bad morale. Cooks get arses kicked… :lol:

Or they get transferred someplace cool like Great Lakes in the winter…

22 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I've read a number of books and the standard of living during WWII of the American sailor was far better than their British counterpart*.

Some more on the subject of feeding sailors (and the website as a whole looks like a giant time suck):

https://www.navalgazing.net/Naval-Rations-Part-1

https://www.navalgazing.net/Naval-Rations-Part-2

https://www.navalgazing.net/Naval-Rations-Part-3

*The very short version is that the British shipbuilders were far more conservative and their shipyards less advanced than their American equivalent.  As an example, American ships were allocated less engineering space and weight due to newer and more efficient equipment.  That weight & space could be used for other things including better messing and cooking facilities.

Back in July I had started a thread in which I posted:

image.thumb.png.f371a7baa03922d02f760a9315f4caea.png

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I suspects you're right... 'specially with that rascal wearing a Civil War era Midshipman's Wheel Cap pattern hat atop that pointy haid.  :)

Just because he's wearing part of his old uniform, it doesn't mean he's not sketchy. :D

Archived