SASS Wire Forum

cheap easy filters

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I ran across a news article about snoke filters.

The one that stood out was taking a 20 inch box fan and duct taping a 20 inch filter to it.

Set the filter in a hallway or doorway and instant cheep air filtering.

New 20 inch fan is about 25 give or take. and filter is around 12.

It takes strain off the ac fan if you have one.

And it can zero in on your room or location.

Of course you could set up more that one if wanted.

Other sizes are up to you.

Best

CR

6 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

just remember fans have motors that produce heat--still trying to convince Mrs. that leaving the ceiling fan on in an empty room is actually warming it up

still warm in Texas

Good luck!

My gal still hardheadedly believes that fans actually lower the air temperature. After 17 years, she still doesn't get it...I stopped trying to explain it years ago.:rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

just remember fans have motors that produce heat--still trying to convince Mrs. that leaving the ceiling fan on in an empty room is actually warming it up

still warm in Texas

Only 101° here, just now, but been using ceiling fans for 40 years.  They circulate the air, and if properly switched for the season bring cooler air up in the hot months and warm air down in the cold ones, plus create a nice circulation of air.  My experience is that the small motor heat is not important.

Here in the PRK, we have (usually) a horrendous fire and air pollution season.
I have half a dozen of those Lakewood 20-inch box fans, all with MERV-13 filters installed (with duct tape) all around the house and in my office.
These do a huge job in removing wildfile pollution from inside the house... they get black in a hurry.

We tried sleeping with the ceiling fan off and with it on.  It's on all night long.  With the fan on, we can raise the thermostat enough that the AC only comes on a few times overnight.  Utility bills (electric, gas, water, sewer) have totaled less than $300 per month through July.

Archived