SASS Wire Forum

Tattoos in the Military

During the time I was growing up and dad was a Naval officer (post WWII - Cold War era) tattoos were in my recollection, only seen amongst enlisted personnel. They were pretty much a taboo for career officers at that time. Perhaps there were exceptions, like those who came up through the enlisted ranks, as opposed to those whose career began as a junior officer. 

These days tattoos are common across wide swaths of our population.  Are they considered a non-issue today for officers? Are they even addressed in dress and grooming standards in today’s military?

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

During the time I was growing up and dad was a Naval officer (post WWII - Cold War era) tattoos were in my recollection, only seen amongst enlisted personnel. They were pretty much a taboo for career officers at that time. Perhaps there were exceptions, like those who came up through the enlisted ranks, as opposed to those whose career began as a junior officer. 

These days tattoos are common across wide swaths of our population.  Are they considered a non-issue today for officers? Are they even addressed in dress and grooming standards in today’s military?

it really depends on the mood of the higher ups. Honestly in height of OEF/OIF, didnt matter then force reduction so no this or that . Then at one time all had to be photographed and inspected , and no new tattoo's .  Then last year they relaxed the policy again trying to get recruitment numbers up
I am not sure what the current status is .
  Officers probably a little more regulated on the visible ones , but even allowed some neck tattoos which well wont make past certain ranks for you having them 

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Navy is not military, but can one be a sailor and not have a tattoo?

What do you mean “Navy is not military”?

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

What do you mean “Navy is not military”?

My apology if you were offended.  I was using the strict definition of military as soldiers. A sailor might be offended at being called a soldier. A looser definition of armed forces would include the navy.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My apology if you were offended.  I was using the strict definition of military as soldiers. A sailor might be offended at being called a soldier. A looser definition of armed forces oilfield include the navy.

Oilfield?

I came back from liberty in Singapore and stopped in the Wardroom. The Captain was there. He asked if I had gotten all my shopping done.  Yes sir. Then I rolled up my sleeve and showed him my new tattoo. He shook his head and walked out. But, as a Chief Warrant Officer, I think it was almost expected. 

BS

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My apology if you were offended.  I was using the strict definition of military as soldiers. A sailor might be offended at being called a soldier. A looser definition of armed forces would include the navy.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I got a little steamed. Sorry about that.  I should have known better.

I remember when I was in the Navy a few of the Line Officers aboard had tattoos but they were not visible when in uniform. We had a  Chief Warrant Officer that had forearm tattoos. Gunner Harm was his name. Great guy. I stood many many watches with him. 

We did have an LDO (Limited Duty Officer) that had a couple of forearm tattoos. An LDO is an officer that was enlisted then once they became a Chief Petty Officer they can go into a program to become a “technical officer” and the highest rank they can achieve is Lieutenant. 
Our LDO was the absolute biggest ***hole that I encountered in the Navy. I think if he would have fallen overboard I don’t think even the officers aboard would have sounded an alarm.  :lol:

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Pard, In my 29 years of military service, I have NEVER heard anyone define "military" in this manner.  "Military" refers to all branches of the Department of Defense.  "Soldier" is specific to the Army, "Marine" to the Marine Corps, "Airman" to the Air Force, "Sailor" to the Navy, and "Guardian" to the Space Force.  But *ALL* of them are military.

Archived