SASS Wire Forum

Today...The Most Important Day...

Texas Lizard

A close friend did his PhD thesis in Communications on comparisons of old cartoons; Popeye, Betty Boop, Mickey Mouse, and Bugs Bunny.  Bugs was his favorite because of the variety of story lines and the "edginess" of Warner Brothers cartoons in general.  

I admire anyone who can get a PhD in cartoons!

Just curious: What kind of a career did he have with that?

16 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Just curious: What kind of a career did he have with that?

He became a tenured Professor of Communications at Ozarks Technical College here in Springfield, Mo.  He was loved by faculty and students; his students earned honors in national competitions.

14 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

He became a tenured Professor of Communications at Ozarks Technical College here in Springfield, Mo.  He was loved by faculty and students; his students earned honors in national competitions.

Another example of:

Find your niche. Do something you enjoy and you'll never work another day in your life.

I have a close friend with two Ph'd Doctorates, an MA in Education and a couple of other lesser degrees.

After a short career in government service, he began teaching; troubled and developmentally challenged kids.

His favourite class is Woodworking.

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

A close friend did his PhD thesis in Communications on comparisons of old cartoons; Popeye, Betty Boop, Mickey Mouse, and Bugs Bunny.  Bugs was his favorite because of the variety of story lines and the "edginess" of Warner Brothers cartoons in general.  

I admire anyone who can get a PhD in cartoons!

So, did he do it watching cartoons, drinking beer and eating pizza?

Please, PLEASE, tell me he did. :lol:

I suspect he enjoyed every minute of his research!

I read his dissertation, it was actually very elegant.  He examined the cartoons  in relation to the culture of the times;  quite intellectual.  His work at the technical college was aimed at marketing.  His students were producing radio and television commercials, practical stuff.

After a couple of beers he enjoyed telling the story about being an Air Force officer in southern California and making friends with some Hell's Angels.  While driving on a freeway with a new girlfriend, a group of them pulled beside his car on their motorcycles and handed him an open beer bottle through the driver's window.  He took a pull and handed it back.  She never went out with him again.

Archived