SASS Wire Forum

Camp Dutch Ovens

I used to cook and bake in Dutch Ovens and did all my camp cooking in cast iron. It’s a lot of trial and error and it’s fun too. 
I never did it for matches or competitions.  I did it mostly for myself, family and friends. 
My son-in-law has all my cast iron camp cookery now, but I have been thinking about getting another oven or two. 
Where did you get that nifty metal charcoal burner in the first photo? 
Love that coffee set up. Is that your design? It’s very cool. 

A local club, years back, had a camp cook set up making purdy durn good grub at their annual match. Dutch oven over an open fire, huge pot of coffee, and whatever else he did was fantastic.

A good chuckwagon cook at a match is a wonderful addition.

50 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

@Badlands Bob #61228 needs to chime in here with his cobbler recipe.

I wish I could take credit for it, but I got it out of the SASS Chronicle about 10-12 years ago.  It's Cinnamon Pecan Apple Cobbler made in a 10" Dutch oven.  I think I still have the recipe around here somewhere.

We used to do a Pot Luck dinner on SideMatch day, but that was years ago.  I know they still have them at the PA State shoot, and a few others.  Around here it seems that most folks want to Shoot & Scoot, but I'd like to see it return.

I spent a lot of hours watching Cowboy Kent Rollins on YouTube learning about Dutch Oven cooking.  That guy is a master of it and actually spends part of his year as a real camp cook on cattle ranches.  https://www.youtube.com/@CowboyKentRollins

I've know two cast iron cooks who were nearly the best ever.

Tom "Muley" Mosley  (RIP) from up west of Victorville, California.

Glen "Delmonico" Carmen (still amongst us) from Lincoln, Nebraska.

Part of their success was a knack for making it FUN.....and turning out great chow.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Where did you get that nifty metal charcoal burner in the first photo? 
Love that coffee set up. Is that your design? It’s very cool. 

The brazier came from Lowe's Hardware Store. They sell it as a "fire pit".

The tripod is made by Lodge. The tipper is forged by a blacksmith. Look for blacksmiths at rendezvous and renaissance fairs.

We/I used to BBQ burgers as part of the club level match events every couple of weeks, but we discontinued the practice, when member felt it was taking too long to finish.

The only time we provide food, coffee and tea now is at our winter matches and the cooking/heating up is done in our club house.

Here's a shot of me taking my turn, after being called away from my cooking duties.

Cowboy Action 001.JPG

Archived