SASS Wire Forum

Post War Britain Model Airplane Club

Just after WWII the Brits started getting back to normal and this included the re-opening of model airplane clubs.  A novelty were those flying model jets.  Look familiar?  Even the jet engine is a ramjet just like the V-1.

Screenshot2023-07-18at9_47_02AM.thumb.png.ac74f3e21f5728598e8eaa582d5bac46.png

I had two thoughts after watching that movie.

Thought one - kind of amazing how that propeller plane could catch up with that jet powered bomb. I always thought that jets was faster than props.

Thought two - if they caught up with the bomb, and they shot it and it exploded in the air, then pieces of shrapnel would fall to the ground, and maybe hit somebody. But if they tap the wing and destabilize it so the entire bomb falls to the ground, it's going to explode when it hits.

Now I presume that it is better for the bomb to explode out in the middle of the English countryside than it is for it to explode in the middle of London, but it would truly piss me off if the RAF knocked one off course and it landed in my farmhouse.

43 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I had two thoughts after watching that movie.

Thought one - kind of amazing how that propeller plane could catch up with that jet powered bomb. I always thought that jets was faster than props.

Thought two - if they caught up with the bomb, and they shot it and it exploded in the air, then pieces of shrapnel would fall to the ground, and maybe hit somebody. But if they tap the wing and destabilize it so the entire bomb falls to the ground, it's going to explode when it hits.

Now I presume that it is better for the bomb to explode out in the middle of the English countryside than it is for it to explode in the middle of London, but it would truly piss me off if the RAF knocked one off course and it landed in my farmhouse.

My recollection is that the engine shut down and then the Buzz Bomb would glide to impact.  The Spit was fast, but I think timing was critical.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

340 to 400 mph top speed.  Likely cruising at less than that.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/the-v1-flying-bomb-hitlers-vengeance-weapon

According to the UK's Imperial War Museum, the V1's pulse jet engine was capable of 340-400 mph. The later model Rolls-Royce Griffon engine powered Spitfires were capable of 440 mph. 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/the-v1-flying-bomb-hitlers-vengeance-weapon

46 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

My recollection is that the engine shut down and then the Buzz Bomb would glide to impact.  The Spit was fast, but I think timing was critical.

In the video the engine was running on the bomb - you can see the smoke of the exhaust.

53 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In the video the engine was running on the bomb - you can see the smoke of the exhaust.

Once the engine cut out, the bomb began it's dive.

Ah Sorry Alpo.  That particular video is/was all CGI.  Not actual.  When running, neither a Pulse Jet nor a Ram Jet make any exhaust "smoke."  The exhaust smoke for the Spitfire when it started was also the wrong colour.  The V1 was powered by Pulse Jet engines. 

its what they knew and understood at the time , sad it most ;likely irritated their parents ...i know i irritated mine a couple times with not fully understanding the memories of the war , but that was a design that flew 

Watab,

Yes!!  And it flew quite well.  There was also a plan to make a "maned" version.  A German version of the Kamikaze.  Oh wouldn't that have been "fun" to fly. :ph34r:

Archived