SASS Wire Forum

Satchmo

A Jewish family Karnofsky, who immigrated from Lithuania to the United States, took pity on the 7-year-old boy and brought him to their home.
There he stayed and spent the night in this Jewish family home, where for the first time in his life he was treated with kindness and tenderness.
When he went to bed, Mrs Karnovski sang him Russian lullabies, which he sang with her.
Later he learned to sing and play several Russian and Jewish songs.
Over time, this boy became the adopted son of this family.
Mr. Karnofsky gave him money to buy his first musical instrument, as was the custom in Jewish families.
Later, when he became a professional musician and composer, he used these Jewish melodies in compositions such as St. James's Hospital and Go Down Moses.
The little boy grew up and wrote a book about this Jewish family, who adopted him in 1907. And proudly spoke Yiddish fluently.
In memory of this family and until the end of his life, he wore the Star of David and said that in this family he learned "to live a real life and determination."
This little boy's name was Louis Armstrong.This little boy was called Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong. Louis Armstrong proudly spoke fluent Yiddish and “Satchmo” is Yiddish for “big cheeks, a nickname some say was given to him by Mrs. Karnofsky!

image.png.afcd67ac40cf5efcaad9a4bddc798038.png

Satchmo may be Yiddish for big cheeks. I don't know.

But when he was first getting into the music business his nickname was satchel mouth, which I assume had to do with the size of his mouth. And satchel mouth was shortened over time to satchmo.

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Satchmo may be Yiddish for big cheeks. I don't know.

But when he was first getting into the music business his nickname was satchel mouth, which I assume had to do with the size of his mouth. And satchel mouth was shortened over time to satchmo.

I kinda thought it had to do with his cheeks and how they expanded when he blew his horn. I guess maybe not according to this story!:o

I'm a big fan of Louis Armstrong, a superb musician who influenced a lot of people in and outside of jazz, including Frank Sinatra and Keith Richard and a really good human being.

If you like Louis Armstrong check out The Great Summit: The Master Takes which is the only time Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington recorded an album together.  Pretty much of a must own for any fan of the style of jazz that Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington played.

Just now, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

As for big cheeks let's not forget Dizzy Gillespie.

dizzy-gillespie-the-ambassador-of-jazz.thumb.jpg.5dee90fb9589d52669db70c646632c67.jpg

Sorry that’s who I was thinking about! My mistake it wasn’t Armstrong it was  Dizzy. Thanks!

I recall an interview with Armstrong a few years before his passing.  He basically told the story of his early music career and how he became known as Satchmo.  His story was that of the nickname being a shortened version of Satchel Mouth. This was told by him with all seriousness and sincerity.

What's a post about Satchmo without this song...........

42 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What's a post about Satchmo without this song...........

Possibly the most disgustingly cheerful song in the whole world!  I find extremely difficult to remain grumpy while listening to that song.

Archived