SASS Wire Forum

Is anyone shooting an 1860 Army......

Fence Cutter

with a Kirst .22 conversion cylinder?

Not looking to hear yay or nay if it is worth the high price or not from non-owners.....

but wanting to know the fun factor ratings and other options from actual owners.

I shot a couple of 60s with a 45 conversion and love shooting them. I didn't know they had one for 22

49 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I shot a couple of 60s with a 45 conversion and love shooting them. I didn't know they had one for 22

https://www.buffaloarms.com/22-colt-cartridge-conversion-kk22coltcon.html

I owned one and shot it for about two years. Did not drop right in but with some smith works it worked just fine. I thought it would be fun to plink with and not sorry I bought it. The idea was great but I enjoy shooting C&B more. The guy I sold it too still shoots his after three years. It is fun. DC 

I shot a pair of Pietta 1860 Sheriff models with Kirst conversion cylinders and 45 Cowboy Specials. As I got faster in the sport they just couldn't stand up to the abuse we inflict. The cylinder stop slots are just wat too shallow. They need to be to fit the larger diameter cylinder in the frame. After a few thousand rounds of slip hammering, the stop slot is peened over and the revolver is out of time and primers will be missed with the firing pin. The frames of these Italian guns are very soft and other issues will occur after extended shooting.I replaced cylinders three times over a few years and a number of internal parts....Finally went with Jimmy Spurs Rugers....

red-vi.jpg

2 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

I shot a pair of Pietta 1860 Sheriff models with Kirst conversion cylinders and 45 Cowboy Specials. As I got faster in the sport they just couldn't stand up to the abuse we inflict. The cylinder stop slots are just wat too shallow. They need to be to fit the larger diameter cylinder in the frame. After a few thousand rounds of slip hammering, the stop slot is peened over and the revolver is out of time and primers will be missed with the firing pin. The frames of these Italian guns are very soft and other issues will occur after extended shooting.I replaced cylinders three times over a few years and a number of internal parts....Finally went with Jimmy Spurs Rugers....

red-vi.jpg

Why are the bolt notches in those cylinders ramped on both sides?  I can see doing the lead in side to assist in the bolt dropping into the notch. But why the trailing side?  Seems to me this would make it easier for the cylinder to over rotate as the bolt has less material to engage with.

Uberti open tops are known for having the issue of the bolt being wider than the notch. The fix is to remove material from the bolt. Larsen Pettifoggers tuning instruction show how to do this correctly.

Pietta also have a poor fit of the Bolt to the Cylinder notches.  Have to be fit.  I shoot Kirst Konverted 1860s regularly but I don't slip hammer and have had no problems.

Mr Kirst told me they need two notches as the cylinder barely fits in the frame with five, 45 Colt cartridges. The extra notch is to release the cylinder stop. If each gun was individually set up, the cylinder stop could be modified to drop down low enough to release. But since they are sold as a "Drop In" cylinders to the masses and the Pietta revolvers are anything but consistent in fit and finish, this extra notch was needed. I asked if he could make me a set of cylinders without the other notch and the answer was no. I might TIG weld up the notches in one set of my cylinders and enlarge the bottom strap on my Sheriff models to accommodate and fit the cylinder stop properly....A "White Season" project!

Seems to me this would make it easier for the cylinder to over rotate as the bolt has less material to engage with.

That is exactly what happens......Might be no issue if you shoot Dualist, Gunfighter or Single Dualist.....But slip hammering beats the crap out of our guns!

Archived