SASS Wire Forum

MagnaPorting a J-frame, Velocity Change

My concealed carry piece is an alloy J-frame.  Perfect for me in about every way.  A few months ago I had it MagnaPorted and it is definitely more comfortable to shoot for extended practice sessions, but I've always been curious about the company's claim that "Mag-na-porting does not influence velocities to any meaningful extent."

Today I went to the range with a non-ported J-frame for comparison, a chronograph, and four types of 38 special loads.

The only load that showed any loss of velocity in the ported gun was a slow moving Winchester target load, and that one lost only 3% of velocity.  Every other load, including the Hornady 110gr that I use for carry, were within 1% out of each gun.  I was surprised and impressed to say the least.

Oh, and the velocities printed on the boxes of ammo were no where near correct.  I think they're measured out of a 4" gun as a minimum.

Mag-Na-Port recoil reduction is really great in big calibers like 44mag.  Also in small frame, short barreled revolvers like J-frames.  BUT don't ever try to hip shoot, like the old FBI way, or you just might need to see an eye doctor.  Think about where those gasses from the ports are going. 

Thank you for this report @Charlie Harley, #14153 :)

I was wondering about this. I was reading about Magna-Port and saw the claim regarding no loss of velocity and doubted their claim, but I really had no valid reason to doubt it. 

A true and valid test would be to test that Gun before Magna-porting and then after with the same ammo including same lot numbers...

I have two K frame guns with the same barrel lenght and made only three numbers apart ( the last 4 digits 0016 and 0019 )

Using the same ammo the 0016 averages 9% faster, just mentioning this because there are fast , medium, and slow guns ...

Jabez Cowboy

I tried a magna-ported snubby before I bought my Taurus 450.  I liked the way it shot until I ran a couple of cylinders in low light/no light conditions.  It still shot to point of aim, (after I adjusted to its sights) but the flash from the porting in low and very low light was momentarily blinding.

My 450 isn’t ported because I might have to use it in those conditions and I’m in those conditions all too often.

45 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I tried a magna-ported snubby before I bought my Taurus 450.  I liked the way it shot until I ran a couple of cylinders in low light/no light conditions.  It still shot to point of aim, (after I adjusted to its sights) but the flash from the porting in low and very low light was momentarily blinding.

My 450 isn’t ported because I might have to use it in those conditions and I’m in those conditions all too often.

Hey Blackwater, I looked for one of those for YEARS, and never could find one that I'd pay the asking price for. BUT, back in 2021, I found out that Charter Arms makes something similar, the Pit Bull. The one I have is a K frame size, 5 shot, .45ACP. They also make them in .40S&W and 9mm, but on the J sized frame. 

5 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Hey Blackwater, I looked for one of those for YEARS, and never could find one that I'd pay the asking price for. BUT, back in 2021, I found out that Charter Arms makes something similar, the Pit Bull. The one I have is a K frame size, 5 shot, .45ACP. They also make them in .40S&W and 9mm, but on the J sized frame. 

Yeah! They’re pretty rare and the non-ported ones are even more so!  I stumbled onto the one I have, almost by accident.  I had looked for one, off and on for a couple of years.  On a whim, I typed the search into my confuser and this one popped up. It cost me $375.00 plus shipping!

The kicker is, I was at a gun show a couple weeks later and found a brand new Galco belt slide holster, still in the Galco package, on a clearance table for twenty bucks!!

My sister-in-law bought me four boxes of Hornady Critical Defense .45 Colt ammo for Christmas!

I’d almost ALWAYS rather be lucky than good!!  :lol:

7 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

So would I. Unfortunately I'm usually neither.:blink:

Me neither, most of the time!!

Archived