SASS Wire Forum

Memorial Day

:FlagAm:  Thank you to all that gave their lives for our freedom. 

“With a canvas tarpaulin for a church and packing cases for an altar, a Navy chaplain holds Mass for Marines at Saipan. The service was held in memory of brave buddies who lost their lives in the initial landings.” Sgt. Steele, June 1944. — From the original photo caption

From the wed site: https://thechaplainkit.com/chaplains/20th-century-wars/ww-2/pacific-theater-2/

FB_IMG_1685374172095.jpg

me too , its not a "happy" day its a solemn remembrance day , my dad arrived on saipan a couple months after that photo was taken , they did a flyover of the marine cemetery in remembrance with captain morgan [memphis bell] in the lead 29 ,  when he told me of the event this day was a long way out from being the holiday we have now , 

RIP , I always go ahead to the once a year crowd.  This year the had Air Force up at national cemetery, helping people locate graves . 
  One E-4 asked me if I needed help , My response was “ I live here deployed  for 8 years , over 40 I know here and i can walk to each one .  My grave is right over there 665A 

26iraq15.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

Archived