SASS Wire Forum

Filing Front Sights

Johnny Buck

I filed my front sights once I settled on a load.  Make sure you are happy with the load you are shooting before filing anything. 

Howdy Johny,

I don't know if this will help (it doesn't answer your question about filing.) First, how far off is the sight. my sixguns are a little high and I shoot duelist, so I don't file the sights as a 6 o'clock hold works fine for cowboy targets. B. try both duelist and two hand holds to see how much that changes things. You might learn something before you file. You can't put the metal back on easily. As mentioned above trying different loads may be the best answer.

Finally, they are your guns so do what you think you need.

Rev. Chase

Factory single actions with fixed sights have front sights intentionally taller than necessary from the factory.  Which for a light cowboy load is very tall.   File 'em to fit your load  (which means don't touch them until you get very comfortable with what you are shooting). 

Never seen anyone use a jig.   But, if you can't guide a file carefully, don't even bother trying to file your sights.  If you get scared you will slip, wrap a couple wraps of electrical tape around the adjacent metal.   Secure firearm in a solid vise - many slips are due to the gun sliding around as you file.

Do check often that you are filing the top of the sight perfectly horizontal.  It will jump out at everyone who picks up the gun if you don't get that level as gun is held straight.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Never seen anyone use a jig.   But, if you can't guide a file carefully, don't even bother trying to file your sights.

+1 on this.  Also consider when you try to sell the guns inn the future.  If the front sight has been filed most people won't even consider buying the gun.  Remember the targets in SASS are close and shot fast.  You frequently hear people yell "front sight" when someone misses a target.  No one yells "carefully align your front sight with the rear notch."

I filed and reblued the front sights on my Ruger OMVs before I went to Colts.  I sold the guns, gunbelt and holsters along with the load specifications.  Sold fast for a good price.  I do think the work needs to be decent, and if it is for SASS, the load specs are probably important.

Archived