SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

5 hours ago, MizPete said:

An egg will help keep them together.

Even bread crumbs (what I did with the rest of the batch).  But as written they will fall apart if you make them much bigger than 2" or 3".  I did mention:

If you want them bigger, add some bread crumbs as a binder and allow to sit for half an hour.

Has anyone tried bacon in an air fryer? I just made 4 strips, no pic sorry, Temp 390 for 9 minutes came out crispy and way less greasy. EXCELLENT!

Adjust temp and time for your likeness of crispness.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Has anyone tried bacon in an air fryer? I just made 4 strips, no pic sorry, Temp 390 for 9 minutes came out crispy and way less greasy. EXCELLENT!

Adjust temp and time for your likeness of crispness.

Less grease that baked on a rack in the oven?  I've thought about trying it, but hesitated because of the clean up.  Granted, we have an Instant Pot Duo Ultimate Lid rather than a dedicated air fryer, but still....

52 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Less grease that baked on a rack in the oven?  I've thought about trying it, but hesitated because of the clean up.  Granted, we have an Instant Pot Duo Ultimate Lid rather than a dedicated air fryer, but still....

Clean up was easy, soaked the bin with some Dawn for a while, then washed with a dish rag.

I’ve never done bacon in the oven. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’ve never done bacon in the oven.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, place a cooling rack on it, lay out bacon on the rack.

Then pick your method.  Some say place in a cold oven, heat to 350, or 400, or 425, or 450 and bake to desired doneness.

OR heat oven to one of the above, place tray in oven and bake to desired doneness.

Cleanup is throwing out the foil and washing the rack and baking sheet.

• Thanks 1

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

I need help with translation, please.  Do you have any idea what Торчица is?

The translation programs gave me most of what I wanted but not that word.  

It's for a mushroom and onion salad.

Partial receipt:

Следовать

Торчица зернистая - 1 ч.л.

Лимонный сок – 1 ст.л.

Чеснок - 5 зуб.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

I need help with translation, please.  Do you have any idea what Торчица is?

The translation programs gave me most of what I wanted but not that word.  

It's for a mushroom and onion salad.

Partial receipt:

Следовать

Торчица зернистая - 1 ч.л.

Лимонный сок – 1 ст.л.

Чеснок - 5 зуб.

I’ll go out on a limb and guess one stalk, ground.

a comment about garlic. See where it says 5 зуб? That’s 5 teeth of garlic. In the French culinary they are called toes.   )))

excerpt is from Oxford Russian dictionary. 2.5 inches thick, 1322 pages.

I have Russian friends I can ask but now is not the best time, even the one in New York is out of the country. I’ll get back to you though

6D32BF1C-04A4-44EF-AE60-1529A1E79D0C.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’ll go out on a limb and guess one stalk, ground.

a comment about garlic. See where it says 5 зуб? That’s 5 teeth of garlic. In the French culinary they are called toes.   )))

excerpt is from Oxford Russian dictionary. 2.5 inches thick, 1322 pages.

I have Russian friends I can ask but now is not the best time, even the one in New York is out of the country. I’ll get back to you though

6D32BF1C-04A4-44EF-AE60-1529A1E79D0C.jpeg

Thanks.   The translation gave me Торчица granules.  When I looked up just Торчица Wikipedia gave me a town in Ukraine.

Like an idiot I back arrowed past the reel and now can't find it, but did get the screenshots.

Screenshot_20230714-082335.thumb.png.398dfbec70da3f13aa3e7853fcea1d80.png

Screenshot_20230714-082342.png

I found that not only can I hit Search image, but it has a translator.  Even will transcribe it into a copyable page.  A bit jumbled because it translates everything, but with the video it's all understandable.  Heck, a lot of these I can watch it with the sound off and understand the ingredients just from looking at them.

I like these better than the 10 minute YouTube videos that take you through

Every

Single

Slow

Knife

Cut

Of

Half

A

Dozen

Potatoes

Along with idiotic questions about where are you watching so I can shout out to you.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

56 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ok, mmmm. Alpo, you seem to be referring to горчица, mustard. Which I did not see anywhere.

Top picture, fourth line

Screenshot_20230714-082335.thumb.png.398dfbec70da3f13aa3e7853fcea1d802.png.fdfbf2f43f822efc38f7d448d6486e29.png

Edited by Alpo
added picture

54 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

?????

That's cryptic even for you, Alpo.

I made a post, did not like it, so I tried to delete it. The software would not let me delete it. That's the best I could do.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Same video, different voiceover and description, but same visuals.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/3479146512365638?mibextid=9drbnH&s=yWDuG2&fs=e

So, wild guess, the "granules" is finely chopped celery.

Could be dried and ground celery or celery seed.

38 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Could be dried and ground celery or celery seed.

Might could be, but I didn't see anything added that looked like either of those, but I did see what looks like finely chopped celery going in.

Could be then. Celery is nearly nonexistent in the culture. Many people don’t know the word for it. I heard of a babushka who would only only call it salad, she did not know сельдерей. When I bought celery it was three ribs cellophaned together.

Celery is the one food you that burn more calories consuming that you get from consuming.

25 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Celery is nearly nonexistent in the culture.

I've noticed that.  Lots of onions, carrots, garlic (could almost call that the Русская Троица), dill, and cabbage.  

Thinking about it, the Old Russian Ladies (may their memories be eternal) at church almost never used celery, and then only those whose families had come here through Harbin, not Western Europe.

• Like 1

Took my wife in for a check up this morning.  Nothing major, just routine.  The usual wait, the usual doctor thinking that because she doesn't have a medical degree she knows nothing about her body.  She came out grumpy and hungry (hadn't broken fast because she thought he might want blood work done).

I told her that I had thawed some ground beef, should I season some of it and make some tortilla "smash burgers" for us?  Sure, why not!

Got to thinking that on a flour tortilla it would be much like some of the Middle Eastern meat pies like Lahm bi Ajeen, so I "middle easterned" some of the ground beef and came up with:

MEAT PIE

½ lb. Ground Beef*

1 TBS Beef Buillion Powder

⅛ tsp Ground Cardamom

1 tsp Ground Corriander

¼ Onion, finely chopped

3 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped and pasted

6 Leaves Fresh Mint, finely chopped

Salt and Pepper.

Blend well, spread onto Flour Tortillas, cook on hot griddle "smash burger" style. Serve with tzatziki or yogurt with chopped tomatoes and cucumbers.

*I used 80/20. I think a better choice would be 93/7. Ground Turkey woul

d also work.

• Like 1

No after pic of the dinner last night but here is a before picture.

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

No after pic of the dinner last night but here is a before picture.

image000000(2).thumb.jpg.faf599b151092e089b98cac707abd9d5.jpgAwful tasty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

(admiring whistle)

Big enough to fillet!

Last I saw bluegill this sizable was in a quarry the village owned, back when I worked for them and could fish it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These taste a lot like German Potato Salad.  I used very small red potatoes, about the size of walnuts, and quartered them.  I let them sit per the receipt, then brought back to a boil, put in sterilized jars and processed for longer storage.  

Pickled Potatoes

Ingredients

1 white onion, thinly sliced vertically

1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar

1 ½ cups water

20 oz baby potatoes chopped into halves or quarters depending on their size

½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns

½ teaspoon salt

4 garlic cloves

3 bay leaves

Instructions

Gather your ingredients. Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Heat a little oil in a large high sided frying pan and fry the onion for about 3 minutes, until slightly softened but not browned.

Add the vinegar, water, peppercorns, salt, garlic and bay leaves to the pan and stir. Heat until the mixture begins to bubble.

Add the boiled potatoes to the pan and stir. Then remove from the heat and let everything cool for about 1 hour.

Transfer the mixture to a jar and store in the fridge.

SUPPER: CHICKEN SOUP WITH DUMPLINGS

or, I'm Retired and I'm Lazy, so There!

1 can Campbell's Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup

1 can Milk

1 can chicken breast, 12.5 oz

Dash (two shakes) of Garlic Rosemary seasoning

Tube of Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits

In a suitable saucepan with lid (take lid off first), add the DRAINED can of chicken breast.

Take pains not to get the drained liquid on your fingers, the odor lingers, and as you love Heaven, do NOT!!! wipe it on your pants out of habit.

White vinegar will get the smell out of the laundry if you forget.

Take a potato masher and cut up the canned chicken breast. My wife has one that's very sharp and looks like you could use it for a set of knuckles in a gang fight. 

Open the tube of biscuits. You'll have to do this as the wife regards the tube's *pop* the same as if she were holding a grenade after the spoon flew away.

Take the metal spatula you used to lift brownies out of the pan (that was yesterday and will not be discussed here) and set it near to hand.

Add the two shakes of Rosemary Garlic Seasoning, then the can of Condensed Cream of Chicken, use the empty can to measure the milk (swirl to free any Klingons that didn't descend to the pot with the landing party) and use the flat steel spatula to mix the contents, GENTLY, it splashes if you're injudicious with agitation.

(Like that fancy language?)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, start the fire under your soup pot, place lid.

Squirt some mold release compound on a cookie sheet and put the other six flaky whateverthehell biscuits on each of the sprayed on release compound circles.

Check on the pot, stirring often. Your heat is too high if it starts to stick. The flat steel tuner used for cutting and lifting yesterday's brownies (made with an extra handful of Ohio walnuts and a like volume of chocolate chips) is ideal for this chicken and dumplings batch, as it gets flat on the bottom of the pot and if it starts to stick, you can feel it, peel it off and turn down your heat.

When it just starts to boil, cut two biscuit dough rounds into fourths and add to the pot.

Place lid.

Your oven ought to be preheated by now.

Place biscuits in oven, set timer for fifteen minutes and go do something else. My back hurts if I stand too long so I find something to do while polishing my backside.

Five minutes or so before the oven timer goes off, turn off the heat from the cookpot and let it set and repent of its sins. Leave lid in place to hold in heat, you're still cooking those dumplings.

When biscuits are done, so is the chicken and dumplings: dish up half for your wife, carry it in to her with her three biscuits on a paper plate, split and butter the biscuits first otherwise you'll have to carry the genuine antique butter dish (98 cents at Kresge's, injection molded plastic, acquired when first apartment furnished in Early Mom & Dad) and then carry them back out afterward.

Your biscuits can go in your bowl on top of the chicken & dumplings.

TRIGGER WARNING:

Purists will be offended by use of canned goods including and especially biscuits, whether baked or quartered into ersatz dumplings. I think it was (takes off hat) Miz Fannie Kikinshoot (replaces hat) who spoke of her grandmother fixing biscuits from a tube for a meal, and how the kindly old matron remarked, "Honey, there's no sense in re-inventin' the wheel!"

I can make Bisquick biscuits in fine shape, but I'm retired and I'm lazy, not necessarily in that order, so this was my Lazy Retired Man's supper for the wife and I.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Purists will be offended by use of canned goods

Aren't really cooks.  There are a few canned goods that I won't use, but that's because after years of experience I've found that the canned versions just aren't good, but the frozen version might be just fine.  

But that sounds pretty darned good.

And I can't make Bisquick biscuits worth a darn.   I finally managed to make decent pancakes with it once I got it through my head that :"there should be some lumps" means that you give it two stirs so it just starts to mix.  

• Like 1

Savory Pork & Beans

Ingredients

4 bacon strips

5 lb. bone-in pork ribs

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 cans of whole black beans 

4 cups beef broth

1/2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 bay leaf

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Cook the bacon in a frying pan until halfway cooked (3-4 minutes). Set aside.

Coat the pork ribs with all-purpose flour and sear on all sides. Set aside.

Add the black beans, beef broth, onion, garlic and bay leaf to a pot. Bring to a boil.

Add the pork ribs and the bacon. Simmer for 10-15 minutes over a medium flame.

Remove the bay leaf and serve.

• Thanks 1

I wanted cheesy biscuits for lunch but didn't want to grate cheese for them.  AH!  I have nutritional yeast!  You can use that to make a pretty decent "cheese" sauce.  What else. since I'm mucking about with the formulation....hmmm....tomato goes well with cheese....
So, to a standard 2 Cups of Flour biscuit batch I added about 2 TBS of the nutritional yeast

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSw_1EBwWdd33bFXIAkW_aDVrL4GzoXJhF4V68KfvYQHTTi9yGUv-b5VLzoTkA14l9U4rkWSwsPdv4F8v_iX8PIQdvQ1L0iGsJUXV6dZFgPsxP2e_uymWu&usqp=CAE

and about 3 TBS of Tomato & Chicken Bouillon

Knorr Tomato with Chicken Bouillon

and cut out most of the salt (I should have cut out all of the salt and only used 2 TBS of the tomato base).

They ended up tasting a lot like 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCdpI6P9RIF9DqRWKtoce_rvjL7_0jj1WmrJBKsMcT0_ZzKBtBxN2VHmZdMq6Xu0tPPSNFBoBnctQoJwvObNYTZe5iRTTAvA5s0bbu2Y0mKmNGOHyesaEG&usqp=CAE

which isn't the worst thing in the world.  I may have to make up a batch, or a half batch, and roll it out really thin, score it so it will break up into cracker sized pieces, and bake it crisp.  

• Like 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtjWEqUO0Np/

Original Text:

Освежающий коктейль из Сникерс в жару ...refreshing Snickers cocktail in the heat...

сникерс 3 шт
молоко
лед

ПРИГОТОВЛЕНИЕ:
1.НАРЕЗАЕМВЗБИВАЕМ ПОЛУЧАЕМ

As Translated By Instagram:
A refreshing Snickers cocktail in the heat ... refreshing Snickers cocktail in the heat...

3 pcs snickers
milk
ice

PREPARATION:
1. CUT  WHIP  RECEIVE

but, seriously, if you couldn't figure it out just by watching the video....