SASS Wire Forum

Thinking of another train trip

Utah Bob #35998

This time from Williams AZ up to the Grand Canyon and back.

F354EA66-6B41-4F63-8B6E-053A8611EDB8.jpeg

I know Durango Silverton does t run til May but I’m thinking of flying out west for 4-5 days and maybe catch a train in late March ‘23.

Any recommendations?

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I know Durango Silverton does t run til May but I’m thinking of flying out west for 4-5 days and maybe catch a train in late March ‘23.

Any recommendations?

That’s a good time. Book as soon as they open the winter reservations. They have various trips. I like the Cascade Canyon trip. It only goes halfway to Silverton and turns around. Shorter trip. But some folks like to go all the way and spend a couple of hours in Silverton to eat and shop. The best cars are the Yankee Girl and the Alamosa in my opinion. Adults only and usually the last two on the train. 
https://www.durangotrain.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl92XBhC7ARIsAHLl9amfeGpRzzp8OiYBUZMBYxyGHG6drWLkjtQwerOqApPBHnaxCBV2SLAaAouYEALw_wcB

I like the Verde Canyon trip better.  There's more to see.  

The Grand Canyon trip has nothing much to see until you get to the canyon and then you have get off the train to see anything, and I don't much care for the Micky Mouse "robbery" gig either.  

We did the Durango to Silverton trip just this year. I enjoyed it. But truthfully, I liked driving the smaller roads and highways of Colorado better. Beautiful country up there. Especially when you are used to living in Southern California.

1 hour ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Is there still a train trip over in Northern N.M./ Colorado , from maybe Chama to some where in Southern Co. ??

At one time I knew the name of it , but time has fuzzed that out.:lol:

Rex:D

Yes, the Cumbres & Toltec.

And there’s also the Royal Gorge over at Cañon City,

The Durango Silverton travels up to Silverton following the river, so you're at the bottom looking up at the mountains.

The Cumbres Toltec climbs over the divide, so you are at the top looking down at times.

Both are part of the original narrow gauge DRGW RR. Both are beautiful. The Royal Gorge is also part of the original DRGW but it was converted to standard gauge.

Bat Masterson was involved in a battle between the DRGW and ATSF over right of way rights over the route from Trinidad, CO to Raton, NM. The ATSF won which crippled the plans made by the DRGW. If I remember right they ended up building a line down the San Luis Valley and made it to Santa Fe that route. I think it was referred to as the Chili Line. This is all from my grey matter so I might have some of it confused.

These are from the C&T.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

The Verde River Canyon Railroad trip goes to the original Perkinsville Depot. The depot is on private property so the railroad is the only way to see it. Movie fans may remember the Perkinsville Depot from the movie How The West Was Won. It was the location for the start of the last act when George Peppard was picking up his aunt, Debbie Reynolds. It is where he spotted the bad guy, Eli Wallach.

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

Archived