SASS Wire Forum

Caboose

There are many subjects -- this is one of them -- where you could take the sum total of all my knowledge on the subject under discussion, and tamp it down into a sewing thimble, you'd still have room enough to pour in a quart of whiskey on top!

Never knew, for instance, any nickname other than the crummy, and never knew why it was called that.

Many thanks!

How times change! Many years ago I did some publicity photos of a very talented singer and musician.  She was also a very attractive woman, but with a large "Caboose".  Using lenses and angles I diminished it to normal for the day.  Today, apparently a popular characteristic!

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

How times change! Many years ago I did some publicity photos of a very talented singer and musician.  She was also a very attractive woman, but with a large "Caboose".  Using lenses and angles I diminished it to normal for the day.  Today, apparently a popular characteristic!

image.jpeg.575d26829f12e9842791616a59a73cf7.jpeg

Had to look that one up Joe. :blush:
Got educated this morning.

Snip-it_1655033052277.thumb.jpg.a83433cc590434bdcc906a7cfe96d4b6.jpg

The Venus Callipyge, also known as the Aphrodite Kallipygos or the Callipygian Venus, all literally meaning "Venus of the beautiful buttocks", is an Ancient Roman marble statue, thought to be a copy of an older Greek original. In an example of anasyrma, it depicts a partially draped woman, raising her light peplos to uncover her hips and buttocks, and looking back and down over her shoulder, perhaps to evaluate them. The subject is conventionally identified as Venus, though it may equally be a portrait of a mortal woman. The marble statue extant today dates to the late 1st century BC. The lost Greek original on which it is based is thought to have been bronze, and to have been executed around 300 BC, towards the beginning of the Hellenistic era. The provenance of the marble copy is unknown, but it was rediscovered, missing its head, in the early modern era. The head was restored, first in the 16th century and again in the 18th century; the restored head was made to look over the shoulder, drawing further attention to the statue's bare buttocks and thereby contributing to its popularity.

Getting back to the original topic, The Durango-Silverton train is Cabooseless. They do have one of the old cars in their museum. Not exactly luxury accommodations.

I recall back in the ‘60s the Florida East Coast Railway was involved in a protracted strike. It lasted into the 70s. There were riots, bombings, and shootings reminiscent of some of the violent miner’s strikes. One of the issues was the elimination of the caboose and crew. One of the main duties of the caboose crew was to watch for fires started by sparks from the old wood and coal burning locomotives. Naturally the railroad considered it unnecessary with the evolution of the Diesel engine. The caboose crew jobs were considered featherbedding and a useless expense to the financially strapped railroad.

No caboose. No problem

34A11831-17AE-4C67-B2E1-D48CCA28AEC0.jpeg

Archived