SASS Wire Forum

How would you report this?

Alpo

I think the streets in my neighborhood were laid out by a drunken architect.

1983397887_IMG_20220430_1611438222.thumb.jpg.416e71c1e1985e1f913397b3029cb11d.jpg

I'm walking the dog yesterday and I come to the intersection of 20th Street and Arthur and there is a hole in the road. There had been a dip - a low spot in the underlayment so the asphalt had sunk down - but now the asphalt had dropped through and there was an actual hole about 8 or 10 inches in diameter.

So I called in to report this. Do my civic duty. And I tell the lady it is at the intersection of Arthur and 20th Street.

Then I walk on down the road. But Arthur, as you can see, does not cross 20th. It stops at 20th, but then about three houses to the West it starts up again on the other side of 20th. So there are actually two intersections of Arthur and 20th.

It worked out. They found the right spot. They've got a warning thingy straddling the hole. Based on past performance, that warning thingy will sit there for 3 or more years before they get around to fixing the hole, but at least they're letting people know the hole is there.

But I just wondered, as I continued our walk, if they would go to the wrong intersection of 20th and Arthur, and seeing no hole there decide they had been pranked, and drive back to the barn.

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

GPS coordinates?

@Alpo: 30.184976469633565, -85.69481241275888

Yeah, it is pretty banged up. Y'all may recall back in 18 we had a very nasty guy name Michael come to visit us. And he left a mess. And they had huge damn trucks driving all over town picking up the mess. These were trucks that, empty, wayWEIGH more than what should have been on residential neighborhood streets, and then they put several tons of trees and furniture in them. Our local streets are busted all to hell.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Yeah, it is pretty banged up. Y'all may recall back in 18 we had a very nasty guy name Michael come to visit us. And he left a mess. And they had huge damn trucks driving all over town picking up the mess. These were trucks that, empty, way more than what should have been on residential neighborhood streets, and then they put several tons of trees and furniture in them. Our local streets are busted all to hell.

Heck, looks better than half the roads in Sonoma County.

In Chicago, years ago, people joked about meeting at the corner of Oak and Polk.  They are parallel streets.  In suburban Denver, you can tell you to meet at University and Colorado. Everywhere North of there the streets are parallel, but they curve together and meet at right angles!  :wacko:

It might be simpler to just buy a bag of asphalt patch and dump it out late one warm night. If it’s a real problem and if it really would take threes years to fix, that’s cheaper than a bent wheel or front end alignment

Archived