SASS Wire Forum

Question for gunsmiths on cap and ball conversions

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

There are a handful of .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers on the market that nobody makes a conversion cylinder for.   

Question to gunsmiths.  Is it possible to do a conversion on these pistols the "old fashioned" way by modifying the original cylinder, or is the steel they are made of not up to the task of so changing them?

My pard Ohio Cheatin' Charlie converted a pair of cap guns.

if you have access to some machinist gear & some skill, you can do it too!

--Dawg

21 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There are a handful of .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers on the market that nobody makes a conversion cylinder for.   

Question to gunsmiths.  Is it possible to do a conversion on these pistols the "old fashioned" way by modifying the original cylinder, or is the steel they are made of not up to the task of so changing them?

There is a gunsmith who does "one-off" cartridge conversions for odd-ball percussion revolvers, and revolvers that have been out of production for years.

I don't know his prices, I suspect it ain't cheap.

https://cartridgeconversion.com/ 

Years ago (1980's/1990's) there was an article in at least one, maybe others, gun magazine on how to make conversions, long before conversions were available. But I don't remember the mag. Told/showed how to make the conversion ring and how to machine the rear of the cylinder. Didn't look all that complicated, thought about don't it just never got to it.

Archived