SASS Wire Forum

Goex Replica Black Powder

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Went to my local gun store to day, after having had learned that HP-38 and Win 231 were the same thing, and picked up an 8 pound bottle of of the stuff.  $255!  But, considering that I can't find any Trail Boss, or Red Dot, or Winc231,  or smaller bottles of HP 38, I figured I had no choice.

But also on his shelf was a hug number of bottles of "Goex Replica Black Powder."   Other than it being, apparently, a black powder substitute, I'd never heard of it.   It was the only BP sub he had in stock, and he had no real BP.   In fact, this is the ONLY BP sub I've seen anywhere in quite a while.

Does anyone know anything about it?    Can't find much about it online, other than that it is apparently discontinued.  But in this market, beggers can't be choosers...

Any info is appreciated.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Went to my local gun store to day, after having had learned that HP-38 and Win 231 were the same thing, and picked up an 8 pound bottle of of the stuff.  $255!  But, considering that I can't find any Trail Boss, or Red Dot, or Winc231,  or smaller bottles of HP 38, I figured I had no choice.

But also on his shelf was a hug number of bottles of "Goex Replica Black Powder."   Other than it being, apparently, a black powder substitute, I'd never heard of it.   It was the only BP sub he had in stock, and he had no real BP.   In fact, this is the ONLY BP sub I've seen anywhere in quite a while.

Does anyone know anything about it?    Can't find much about it online, other than that it is apparently discontinued.  But in this market, beggers can't be choosers...

Any info is appreciated.

I love that stuff.  It was our go-to powder before Goex stopped making it.  I know for a fact that we have shot more that 100 lbs of that stuff over the years.

As I understand it, Pinnacle was being made by American Pioneer Powder for Goex and when Hodgdon bought Goex, they dropped it as it was a competitive powder to their Triple 7 and Pyrodex lines, but I may be mis-remembering things.

If they were near me, I'd be tempted to buy all they had.

12 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I love that stuff.  It was our go-to powder before Goex stopped making it.  I know for a fact that we have shot more that 100 lbs of that stuff over the years.

As I understand it, Pinnacle was being made by American Pioneer Powder for Goex and when Hodgdon bought Goex, they dropped it as it was a competitive powder to their Triple 7 and Pyrodex lines, but I may be mis-remembering things.

If they were near me, I'd be tempted to buy all they had.

You remember correctly.  I would like to know the date code of that powder.  Could be old stuff from storage that got freed up when Goex got bought.  Or maybe the new owners called up APP and said, "hey, we want you to start making Pinnacle again" and APP says "Sure!"  :)

32 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

At this time, Goex is out of production. 

What granulation was it?

OLG 

I'd have to go back and double check.   I was intrigued by the label and wanted to find out more.   I am sorry I did not check on the granulation.

Archived