SASS Wire Forum

In search of C. Sharps Arms Deluxe Tang Sight written instructions

Nostrum Damus SASS #110702

I acquired a gorgeous Browning Model 1885 High Wall .45-70 rifle equipped with a C. Sharps Arms Deluxe Tang Sight w/Windage.  I cannot tell if it is the Mid-Range or Long-Lange version, and the previous owner did not have the written instructions that came with the sight.  If anyone has, and can send me a copy by email, it would be greatly appreciated.  PM me if you can help, thanks in advance.

Every long range sight I've bought has never come with instructions! Go to the Montana Vintage Arms website. They make sights. You can see what typeof sight you have and see the lengths that may determine if it is a "long range" sight.

There are two types of sights Vernier and Soule. Both do the same thing as to elevation and windage. The Soule having a better set up for windage.

Do like I did. Find an experienced LR shooter and have them go over the basics. Sight settings will be determined by your rifle, bullet weight, powder, and bullet speed. There are no "standard settings".

Call C. Sharps. They are very accomodating.

General rule of thumb for tang sights.

Measurements are from the top of the staff to the middle of the pivot hole.

Short range staff about 3". 

Mid range staff about 4" to 4.5". 

Long range staff 5 plus inches. 

To wrap up this thread and tie a bow on it, I have been in contact with Tim at C. Sharps, very helpful guy.  He doesn't have an instruction sheet in electronic form, but is sending me the printed one ... when he sends back the sight that I just sent off to him for inspection and repair.  A previous owner apparently did not know that the eyecup must be unscrewed before turning the windage adjustment screw; when said owner encountered resistance when trying to adjust windage, he just turned harder -- brilliant decision!!  He stripped a section of the windage screw.  Hopefully all that is needed is a new replacement windage screw.  I also picked up a Lee Shaver #17-type front globe sight to replace the OEM blued blade sight currently on the rifle.  Removing that dovetail blade sight is going to be a chore; some initial exploratory taps with a brass punch didn't budge it.  A weekend soak with PB Blaster is on the agenda.

Archived