SASS Wire Forum

Alliant Extra-Lite

Youngson

I found some Alliant Extra-Lite at the local shop. I use gun club hulls Win 209 primers claybuster CB-0178-12 wads and 7/8 of #7.5 shot. The lightest load Alliant lists for my combo is 15 grains for 1150 fps. I would like to be in the 1000 fps range. Anybody use Extra-Lite in this range?

Thanks,

Youngson

12gn of ExtraLite (mec #20 bushing) under the CB 0175-12 wad cup with 209pr and 3/4 oz will go out at about 1015 fps.  Or 15gn (mec #26 bushing) with the CB 0100-12 and 1 oz will go out at about  980 fps, if you want a denser clay bird load.  Both feel about the same, recoil wise.

I have been using Extra Lite in my 12 ga loads for the past few years. I normally use Remington hulls, a gray 7/8oz Clay Buster wad and Cheddite primers. I use a #24 bushing in my Mec 9000. I know that the purest will slap my hand, but I have tried a number of different fast burning powders in this arraignment with no other changes and they have all worked out just fine. I've been getting rid of lot of old pistol powders that have been taking up space in the powder Magazine this way. Another powder that works well with this setup is the new N100 NF.   

Snakebite

8 hours ago, Youngson said:

I found some Alliant Extra-Lite at the local shop. I use gun club hulls Win 209 primers claybuster CB-0178-12 wads and 7/8 of #7.5 shot. The lightest load Alliant lists for my combo is 15 grains for 1150 fps. I would like to be in the 1000 fps range. Anybody use Extra-Lite in this range?

Thanks,

Youngson

Don't try to measure recoil by velocity rating. Win AA is almost a full ounce of shot, so 7/8 will be faster with a comparable load. It is more valid to compare 1 oz loads to the feel of shooting Win AA. I use ExtraLite or the same measure of Clays with #8 shot and a #25 MEC bushing and am staying with it in a Baikal double.

Archived