SASS Wire Forum

Dog electric fence

Trigger Mike

Our new dog roams over a mile away during the day.  She likes to park herself inside someone else's garage or carport and stay there all day.  At first they don't mind but after a while they call me since I put my number on her tag.  She got out of my goat pen so I set up the electric collar .

The instructions says nit to let her wear it more than 12 hours at a time.  Is that true for all brands?  What's the point , as once you remove it , she will run away again?

Meanwhile it seems to be working as she is still here.  She got to the edge last night and tried to get through but finally laid down at the outer limit.  This morning she was back on the front porch.  She seems sad though.  Yellow labs like to roam.

Two things:

[1]  I cannot see any reason that the electric fence collar needs to be removed after 12 hours. It does nothing if not near the barrier line and should be no different than a normal collar.

[2] Regardless of brand if a dog is determined to get past the barrier, it can do so simply by approaching the barrier at speed and will be through it before the collar has the desired effect. Think about that one. Otherwise, they work quite well once the dog learns not to approach the barrier.

Good luck!

Maybe don't get a dog if you are just gonna keep it outside all day in a goat pin or let them roam off whenever....not a great life for that poor dog

I personally would never let my dogs run free without boundary training. I’ve raised labs as duck and goose dogs for ove 40 years. Only had one that wouldn’t respond to boundary training. After constant reinforcement training I could leave any of my dogs on the front porch, tel them to stay and then get in the truck and go to town.  Be gone for hours and come back and they would still be on the front porch. I know this because my neighbor would tell me.  They one lab that would not respond was a female. She is the only one that I tried the fence with.  She would walk right thru the barrier on full zap, shaking and twitching till she got to the other side. She didn’t start to respond to training until she got hit by a car.  Some dogs are just that way.

best advice is to work with that dog at least two hours a day. He/she must want to be with you, training will do that. Labs are great compassions and love to work for their master. If the dog is constantly leaving it is because you are less of their environment than the outside world.

i now am training a German Shepard  as a protection dog. He is 10 months old and already stays where he is told. However, I spend at least four solid hours a day working with him. If you don’t train to communicate with your animal then they will do whatever they want because they don’t know what you want. 

Please dont take what im saying as an insult. But training makes the dog happy which will make you happy.

last advice.  Before getting any canine, you should know what you expect of the animal. Companion, protection, hunting, attack, search and rescue, etc. then pick the breed that fits that need. Check with local associations and gather info about breeders that have the desireable characteristics and a know background. Then learn to teach the dog.  Example with your lab. They love to retrieve. Simply teaching the dog to play frisbee can make him want to be there waiting to play with you. 

Good luck. Remember spending quality time with him/her everyday, learning that he/she wants to please you and that the lack of communication is not their problem, it’s yours

Down here lots of folks let their dogs roam free.  We live in 100 acres so I need then to roam to keep coyotes at bay and the black panther that we sometimes hear at night.

I also need them to keep rattlesnakes away from the house.  She is the first one we had to take up residence at other people's homes.  The rest roam at night only and even then not miles down the road as they are often back in a couple of hours.

we always felt to pen a dog up in a house was a bad life for a dog. We only wanted to out her in the goat pen until she learned to stay closer to home.  The electric fence seems to be doing the job.  

Our other labs didn't act like she does,  but we got them as a puppy, not 2 years old, with bad habits.

Also, remember that if you're using an "invisible fence" collar (where a buried wire/antenna activates the collar when the pup approaches), it's VERY important to have a visual or scent identifiable boundary!  The "invisible" works, but the poor critter needs to be able to tell where that boundary is before he gets zapped.  

"Double secret probation" only works in the movies.  

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Also, remember that if you're using an "invisible fence" collar (where a buried wire/antenna activates the collar when the pup approaches), it's VERY important to have a visual or scent identifiable boundary!  The "invisible" works, but the poor critter needs to be able to tell where that boundary is before he gets zapped.  

"Double secret probation" only works in the movies.  

That’s what you call boundary training. 

We were told to shoot roaming dogs on site as kids. Too many dead fawns and deer runners. I only shot at one. Ran a doe by me on opening morning. I've called to a few and they came to me. One had tags and one had a chip. Sent them with animal control.

I wish you luck with yours. Be a shame to lose a good dog.

The rule the sheriff gives around here is if it is a pit bull running loose or other dangerous dog, kill it as we just got an animal control officer this year and he only comes for dangerous dogs.  

If a stray dog comes in people's yard and barks at them,  they shoot it.  If a friendly dog, they leave it alone or call the owner after they feed it.  

After she found the limit to her invisible fence, my new dog stays plastered to the front porch so we take her to the back porch where the food is.  She later goes back to the front porch.  

My anatolian shepherd that guards the goats now leaves his post to hang out with her.  We may have shepherd, lab mix pups soon.  

Had a runner. Used the invisible wireless that has no buried wire. The instructions come with the kit. Keep the dog confined while you set up the boundary. You adjust the distance from the control box. You hold the collar and walk away from the box listening for the beep when you reach the distance you decide upon. When you hear the beep you place a flag in the ground. Do a complete 360 from the control box till you have flags set in a complete circle. Then you take the dog and you have placed the collar on the dog walk towards the white flags. When the beeping begins, this is a warning tone, command the dog to come back, no, no. Do the complete circle showing the dog that this is the boundary. Let the dog go and watch. As the dog approaches the boundary the beep will begin and either the dog will return within the boundary or will continue. If they return the warning beep will stop. If they continue the shock will come and continue till the animal returns to the boundary. 

Now why not to leave the collar on beyond 12 hours? Because there are prongs resting against the skin of the animal and if kept on for long periods will remove fur and cause problems. This is a great product, they eventually learn the boundary and eventually you will be able to take the collar off completely. If they break the barrier then the collar comes back on.

Archived