SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Wrangler vs Chiappa SAA in .22

Derringer Dan

Hey folks, need some opinions about these. I have 1 Wrangler, intend to get another and am in the process of getting leather for the pair. But before I can do all this, I’ve got some other business to complete. In the meantime, I’ve spotted the Chiappa SAA’s that sure look nice in the antique finish. I’ve owned Ruger single sixes in the past and have been happy with them. Due to my recovery, it will still be a while before I can get out and put the wrangler through it’s paces. Opinions on all these two would be appreciated regarding quality, fit, function etc. Thanks everyone. :FlagAm:

Ruger makes really good guns. I have a pair for my daughter. I had to change out springs to lighten hammers. It's same springs as a single six so that's nice. Had them in my parts already. My ejector rod tab broke on one of the wranglers, ruger sent a free one fast to me. I trust the ruger name over chippawa. That's my opinion....

Actually here's an even better idea, have a pair of each !!! More guns in the safe the better!!! Lol

As I stated in  the first post  .

The Wrangler is just a cheaper version of the Single Six .

I purchased two Wranglers myself.

If you aren't already locked in to your 2 [very good] choices, look at the Heritage Rough Riders. I have picked up a couple and they are ridiculously accurate.

I just sold a Wrangler and an Heritage. I couldn't stand shooting either of them! Just MHO. If I could find a Colt at a decent price I would buy one in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just sold a Wrangler and an Heritage. I couldn't stand shooting either of them! Just MHO. If I could find a Colt at a decent price I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I looked at them, bit decided I couldn’t afford them. If money was more available, I would choose the Colts.

23 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

I looked at them, bit decided I couldn’t afford them. If money was more available, I would choose the Colts.

I sold one about 10 years ago for $450. I believe they’re almost twice that now. ;)

if you really want nice find usfa 22's, but make sure you have access to a banker.

1 hour ago, MBFields said:

if you really want nice find usfa 22's, but make sure you have access to a banker.

Indeed :D

I am not familiar with the Wrangler.  The Chiappa has the advantage of being the same size/weight as an SAA, fits SAA holsters.  But it is made of Zamac (sp?) a cast metal, and I'm not sure how well that will hold up.

for SASS both would make good tools as will the heritage , we are shooting and wearing these items out , if you can afford the colts you can go that way , ill not use my colts for this venue , but again that is me , others may choose differently , 

Archived