SASS Wire Forum

So I have 3 reloading manuals and cannot find a load for a 195gn SWC for the 41 with 231 powder. Does anyone know where I can find that data? It needs to be 231 since that'd really all I've got in any significant quantity.

Thanks all!

I have a Winchester loading pamphlet from 1995 that lists a 210 gr lead bullet with 7.4 gr of 231 for 1125fps and 28000cup. No other data for lead bullets in .41 mag.

Imis   before I posted this SD commented, hope this helps

I have 11 reloading books. None of them list 195gr swc bullets. Closest lead bullet is 200gr, but not that powder.

closest bullet using that powder is a 210gr jacketed xtp running 1089 fps.

MD Smith reloading page is a great resource.

200 grain jacketed HP-38(W-231)

6.9 gr = 903 ( max load)

-10% to start = 6.2 gr

Lead conversion of .3-.5 hr = 5.7-5.9 grains

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Try 6.5-7.0gn of WW231 with that lead bullet.

Use a firm roll crimp. 

OLG 

I would even start with 6 and read the primer. What gun? I am usually not as nervous with my contender or super black/redhawk as i am with a  smith 57 or taurus. Rifle?

Appreciate all the input! I should have a solid starting point for these rounds. 

Just now, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

I would even start with 6 and read the primer. What gun? I am usually not as nervous with my contender or super black/redhawk as i am with a  smith 57 or taurus. Rifle?

3 screw blackhawk, so less concerned with pressures and such than I would be with 'inferior' guns. But still sound advice regardless! 

1 minute ago, John Ruth said:

3 screw blackhawk, so less concerned with pressures and such than I would be with 'inferior' guns. But still sound advice regardless! 

Yep, but some of the loads posted are jacketed data. A little hotter then lead data. That powder is only listed in my books for jacketed bullets.  I did forget to look at my “ruger only” data. I will check it

3 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

Any gun. I shot those loads a S&W. Fairly mild. 

OLG