SASS Wire Forum

Add to : I was so poor as a kid....

Daddy said  "we were so poor as kids, that at Christmas we got one set of shoes and the girls got a dress and I got a pair of overalls."

Then he said "one year, grandpa got tired of hearing me ask for a toy...so that Christmas he gave me special overalls. He snipped the ends of the pockets off. I got clothes and a toy that year!":huh:

(Took me many, nany years to get that joke)

i got it right away but then i had nuns from chicago as teachers for the first eight years of my schooling - they held very little back even in the 50s 

I was so poor as a kid, in wintertime, the trailer we lived in would ice over on the inside walls and the picture frames would get stuck frozen to the wallpaper. Upstate NY is brutal without reliable heat. As immigrants with a nickel to our name, my dad helped a livestock vet, my mom spent her time listening to talk radio to learn english.

My dad worked his ass off, got into a community college, then university, then we all moved down south so he could start his own business. When I was age 14 he broke 6 figures for the first time. Just a few years later he broke 7. (That's his money, not mine. I'm proud to make my own way, just like he did.)

I guess if there is a joke, he still drives his beat up 1987 Pontiac Sunbird, rusted doors and all. Refuses to buy a new car. Also still uses a flip phone, and good luck reaching him on it, he usually forgets it at home. Money didn't change the man :lol:

:FlagAm: 

I've never been rich, but I've never been dirt poor.  I've known folks that had to resort to thievery to feed the family.  Literally living paycheck to paycheck, the dad, once, stole a couple bags of groceries out of the back of a car when he was laid off work for a couple weeks.  They had some weird meals for a few days, but at least they had food.

All in all I suppose I've been blessed.  Maybe not living large, but living none the less.

Angus

Archived