SASS Wire Forum

Toys for the Kid

Sassparilla Kid and I were planning on working on my ol' Dodge pickup last weekend (finishing up replacing the heads).  Alas... to quote ol' Bobby Burns, "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley."  

The lad had to work Saturday.  And Sunday we were busy collecting his "new" toy - a 1979 17' Correct Craft ski boat.  :lol:

On old friend of ours had bought it new, enjoyed it, then parked it in his shop back in 2003.  The Ford 302 has 511 hours on the Hobbs meter, and the craft has always been impeccably maintained.  Actually, when not on the water, it's been been stored indoors it's entire life.

Bobby (our buddy, not Burns) and the Kid wheeled it outside and hosed the dust off.  They plunked in a fresh battery, plugged a garden hose into the cooling system, poured in a bit of fresh gas and primed the carb... and it fired up almost on the first crank.

Well, Bobby, who has three fishing boats and is now in his late 60's, decided he needed the shop space.  He's known the Kid since he (the Kid) was in Kindergarten, and sold it to him for the princely sum of $2,500.  "I had my fun with it... it's your turn!"  :blush:

And, although the stickers aren't on the hull, the registration is current.  

He has a few things to do (re-pack the stuffing boxes, swap in a new impeller and replace cooling jacket gaskets), but a weekend of tinkering and he'll be putting it on the river.  ^_^

Resized_20210321_185144.jpeg.094f9bbe65625288bd7b718e51768f0b.jpeg         

1826002187_Resized_20210321_150357(1).jpeg.c0d4818651264ecbb79c382dbff2c735.jpeg

Oh.  And just for giggles, Bobby threw in a pair of Honda Trail 90's.  One of 'em's a bit of a "basket case," but the Kid's already torn down the engine and started ordering parts.  :rolleyes:  

Resized_20210321_183428.jpeg.4d9c651ca57ec782542ff1022bf5c5e6.jpeg

Now, the Rest Of the Story: 

Bobby was diagnosed a bit over two years ago with stage 4 cancer.  

A lifelong gardener and landscaper, he 90% retired as soon as he was diagnosed.  Now he works hard when he's able, and devotes most of his time to his family, friends, and having as much fun as he can.  He has chemo treatments every two weeks; they literally knock him on his ass for nearly a week.  But on his "off" weeks he'll work hard for a few days, then he'll drag a boat to a mountain lake and fish, or ride one of his many motorcycles on long day trips.  "Think I'll go to the coast for lunch tomorrow!"  or "Boy!  The trout were really biting at Mammoth Pools yesterday!"  

He almost never stops smiling, and his doctors are pretty much amazed at his tenacity.  Meanwhile, the man just steams along... last week I told him "Bobby, you are without a doubt the healthiest sick man I've ever known!"  That brought a grin and a laugh.

Anyway, if anyone might have some good thoughts or a prayer to add to ours, it'll be appreciated.  

That is some boat! 

Just some thoughts on that boat:

- Replace the engine compartment fan for evacuating gasoline fumes, if it hasn’t been replaced in a while. 

- If that boat has a fuel line water separator you might want to check that out. 

- If there’s a way, get a look at the inside of the hull, especially near the bow to make sure the inside looks as good as the outside. 

Bob sounds like a great guy. And here I got up this morning grumbling because I am sick of wearing this thing (wrist brace) for the past 7 weeks since I busted up my arm. 
I will remember him in my nightly prayer. 

If he lives in California, I would suggest he investigate a certain kind of "oil", that is available/legal there, to take for his stage 4. 

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4, in 2016, and refused chemo. She is still here, and we think the "oil" is one reason.

Just sayin'. 

Over/under this side of the fishin' hole those Honda Trail 90' are commonly known as "postie bikes" because our Australia Post used them for suburban mail deliveries, Postal workers were allowed to ride them along footpaths and the like to deliver into letter boxes without dismounting. This is still the practice although they no longer use the "agricultural" version. The original version from Honda was called the "Ag 90" and had a dual range gearbox, later upgraded to 110cc.

These machines have become something of a "cult" amongst some of our "crisis" aged gentlemen (middle age crisis) and restored or just "fixed-up" machines are in demand. They are the sort of thing that you duck down to the corner shop to get milk and bread on.

Can you imagine going to the local "hang out" and being intimidated by a bunch of 60s and 70s year old motorcyclists on "postie" bikes ... :lol:

Archived